Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Post by Big_B99 »

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy has been called the greatest novel ever written. After reading it, I will readily admit that it is truly one of the best novels ever written, but most likely not the best. Out of all of the books that I have read so far in my life, I would put it just under par with War and Peace. However, I have just begun my 1 Year Journey through Classical Literature, so who knows what other great books I will encounter?
As there are already many summaries and reviews out there for this book, I will simply give a brief summary of it. Warning: It does contain spoilers.
Even though the book is called Anna Karenina, only about half of the book is actually about Anna. The rest of the book follows the life of Konstantin Dmitrievitch Levin, a wealthy landowner who is constantly questioning the current ways of Russian life and the use of Russian serfs. Levin falls in love with and marries a girl known as ‘Kitty’ by her friends and family. Levin’s brother is a famous author, and the two brothers must cope with the sickness and death of their third brother. Levin ends the book dissatisfied with life, and pushing radical ideals, which are Tolstoy’s own, as I will speak on later.
Anna Karenina on the other hand, is the wife of Alexey Alexandrovitch Karenin, who holds an important place in Russian society. Anna however, falls in love with a Russian officer named Alexey Vronsky, and has an affair with him. Karenin finds out, and Anna leaves him to live with Vronsky. Not being able to get Karenin to assent to a divorce, Anna begins to feel that Vronsky does not love her anymore, and, not being able to return to her husband, Anna commits suicide by throwing herself under a train.
As with many popular books, the lives of the characters are intertwined. Anna’s brother’s (Stepan Arkadyevitch Oblonsky) wife, Darya (or Dolly), is the sister of Levin’s wife, Kitty. Oblonsky, Anna’s brother, is great friends with Levin, and Dolly is a friend of Anna. There are also many other relationships among the main and minor characters.
Tolstoy’s writing is very good, although there are times when he drags the scenes on and adds unnecessary details. But he more than makes up for it by the depth that he gives his characters, showing the reader both the good and the bad side of them. The detail in which he presents his scenes is also amazing, as Tolstoy engages the reader throughout the story line. I found it almost impossible to put this book down during those chapters.
It has been said, however, and I find it to have truth in it, that Tolstoy painted Levin as a picture of himself. Because of that, a lot of Levin’s thoughts and ideas are Tolstoy’s own.
Overall, I would rate this book 9 out of 10 stars, given that the story drags somewhat and that there are many times when Tolstoy ‘pauses’ the story line to give his opinion on different matters via Levin. But other than that, this is a great book and written wonderfully. I will be reading it several more times in the upcoming years.
Anna Karenina is a public domain work and is available for free from most major eBook retailers.
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplicated topic

Anna Karenina
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”