Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Post by DATo »

Amagine wrote:I don't know why the sequel has been out for so long and I haven't read it! I wonder if they will do a film version. As rare as this is to say, I enjoyed the film version of To Kill A Mockingbird more than I did the book!
Amagine - One of my favorite books of all time is To Kill A Mockingbird, but I must caution you that Go Set A Watchman is not in the same universe with Lee's former book. I, and many others, were greatly disappointed with it. It would have been far better had Lee not published it at all. Frankly, I feel it besmirches her memory. On the other hand perhaps it sets the record straight and just maybe this is what she wanted to do before she died ... see below.

When Harper Lee was writing To Kill A Mockingbird she was under the strict guidance of an editor named Tay Hohoff who made her rewrite it 5 times before it was published. At one point Lee wanted to quit but Hohoff prodded her on. I am now convinced that much of the inspiration and perhaps many of the ideas of the first book came from Hohoff; therefore, it is my current belief that half the credit for her first book should have gone to the editor because the second book is an example of what Mockingbird would have been without Tay Hohoff's guidance. Perhaps Lee's agreement to publish Go Set A Watchman was actually her way of fessing up.

Perhaps this is why it took so long for a second novel. It pains me to say this, but I think Lee herself knew she didn't have the talent to have written the first book without her editor's help. She even confessed to a cousin in later life that she could never duplicate the quality of the first book. She never, never should have agreed to publishing the second book. I would have preferred to have been left with my former opinion of her skills. After reading Watchman I once again felt the way I did when I discovered the fact that there was no Santa Claus. I would have preferred to have been left with the illusion.

Here is the story of Tay Hohoff and Harper Lee .... nytimes.com/2015/07/13/books/the-invisi ... .html?_r=0
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I've read both and I enjoyed reading both, but I do have to say that the sequel was a little disheartening. I'll just say that To Kill A Mockingbird is clearly Scout's point of view as a young girl and Go Set A Watchmen is from a young woman's perspective. It's very different, but I think that it was done well. I think that I enjoyed it because it delves into the father daughter relationship and how we see our parents differently (sometimes more accurately) as we age.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I haven't checked this out yet, but I have heard bad things. I still plan on evaluating it myself though.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It would be a pity if Go Set a Watchman doesn't match the success of To Kill a Mockingbird. But for me, nothing can diminish my admiration for Harper Lee for reaching the pinnacle of success as a writer with her very first book. I wonder if anyone else has achieved that feat.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I heard the sequel wasn't a true sequel and wasn't as good in reviews - not a surprise honestly. I think its hard to maintain quality on par with To Kill a Mockingbird, even with the same author. The work was such a an absolute joy to read and considered by many to be a masterpiece for a reason.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I have my doubts about this book. Maybe it's because To Kill a Mockingbird is so dear to me and I would hate for it to get ruined by a mediocre sequel. I might be more willing to read it if it was a story separate from the classic.
mariahcpeck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariahcpeck.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by mariahcpeck »

Out of curiosity, have any of you read the sequel and what were your thoughts? I think To Kill a Mockingbird is easily one of the greatest books ever written because it has layer after layer of wit, reality, and learning all tangled into the clever narrative of a child. Such a brilliant author and I want to read her sequel so badly! Is it just as good as the original??
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

From what I have heard, the sequel is a disappointment as when compared to the original but I will reserve judgment until I read it myself.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Cher432 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 10:54 From what I have heard, the sequel is a disappointment as when compared to the original but I will reserve judgment until I read it myself.
I’m afraid I have to agree with what you have heard. I love To Kill a Mockingbird and although Go Set a Watchman is very well written, the characters are largely unlikeable.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I am torn on reading it. I did read a "summary" of it and for myself feel that it will tarnish the original, which I still like as an adult. It's one of the very few books I "had" to read as a student that I bought later on as an adult.
sabmich0810
Currently Reading: Restore Trust
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by sabmich0810 »

the book mocking bird is excellent
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. I "read" this on Audible. It is a story of Scout now grown up who has come back to visit her father Atticus. As good as to Kill a Mockingbird is, this novel is not nearly as engaging. I recently discovered that it was an early draft and was not originally meant to be published. If you really liked To Kill a Mockingbird I would caution you as you just might be disappointed as I was.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
vuhj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vuhj »

I liked this book. I was happy to find again the characters even if I was a bit disappointed by Atticus. But I found this book interesting because it describes the situation of American during the segregation.
Mishmuma1
Favorite Book: Resilience: A Workbook
Currently Reading: VieVie La Fontaine
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Mishmuma1 »

Am excited! The book was a literature set book when I was in high school and it is still my favourite book. A sequel would be brilliant.
ejrhoades
Favorite Book: into the wilderness
Currently Reading: Lake in the Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by ejrhoades »

I did enjoy reading, Go Set A Watchman; because it has the rich writing of Harper Lee and how she describes the south. The plot is a mystery about what Atticus is up to after all these years since To Kill A Mockingbird and what Scout is going to do with her future. This book has character development, but not to the extent of To Kill A Mockingbird. I think Harper Lee knew she couldn't put out another piece of amazing work such as her first book.

Return to “Classic Books”