One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
twenty7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Post by twenty7 »

My favorite book of all time. Read it three times and every next time it gets better and better....
VeilofStars
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veilofstars.html

Post by VeilofStars »

I purchased this book the other day at a local bookstore based on a recommendation. I hope to read it within the next month or so, but I've had Mosfegh's Eileen staring at me ever since I bought it.

I'm glad that there's another glowing reviewer for One Hundred Years of Solitude, though, which I suppose is typical for this novel!
franny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franny.html

Post by franny »

I love One Hundred Years of Solitude. A friend of mine from Costa Rica gave me the book as birthday present when I turned twelve. I found it dense and impossible then (she was a very bright girl) but I picked up again as an older teen and was captivated by the magical realism and the themes of growth and decay throughout the long years. It has been over six years since I have read it, much of the plot is slipping away into the mist of memory, but this book will always stand out to me as a very special one. Planning to read it again soon.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I remember I read this book at too young of an age. My mother had the book and I read it after her. I remember thinking it was incredibly long and seriously boring. Like I said, I was just a kid. It was too advanced for me at the time. Now that I am an adult, I might consider giving it another try. It's a classic novel that I keep hearing about so I want to see what I've been missing.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

If you like beautiful descriptions and dreamy language, you will enjoy it. It's quite poetic, a mixture between prose and poetry. There is a plot, but it seems like the plot is there to give the wonderful poetic prose it's place.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I found this book in my home one day. My dad sometimes brings home books so I guess it was him who brought it. About the first 10 pages were missing but I still dived into the reading experience - totally worth it. From the false start that I was misfortuned with to the bitter end this book was totally amazing.
I read it in English but I would like to read it in Spanish actually since that is my mother tongue.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I haven't read this book in a while, but I remember how beautiful the author's prose was. The way the words were woven into a beautiful spell and everything seemed so surreal about the characters. It seemed as though you couldn't tell what was real and what was a dream.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I last read this in 1990. I borrowed a copy while studying in Russia ... in a provincial town where there's not much to do ... so there I was reading a Latin American book translated into English. Of course. I reread at least twice because I loved it so much. The writing is so vivacious and the fatality of it all gave me goosebumps.
A friend mentioned it recently saying that she didn't like it but felt that the English translation maybe didn't do it justice. It is difficult to translate well from Spanish to English - I should know because I have tried! I swore back in 1990 that next time I would read it in Spanish though I have yet to do so. Maybe it's time to attempt that now!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I really want to read this book, but they don't have it on kindle and my local library doesn't have it.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 15:37 I really want to read this book, but they don't have it on kindle and my local library doesn't have it.
Not sure of your stance on paper books but it's worth buying the actual book at a local store if you can't get it otherwise. It's a gorgeous book and worth every cent. Just a strong recommendation from an avid reader :D
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Lopermann88
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lopermann88 »

Amazing book. It influenced me to finally start writing and putting my work out there. It has an epic feel to it even though it’s not an overly long work. It also has a timeless feel to it because the themes and relationships the author introduces have such an air of familiarity. I also love the blend of realism and the the fantastic.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

One hundred years of solitude is the best thing ever; a long time favorite of mine, it is surprisingly better in English than in Spanish.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I listened to this novel about a year or so ago and I have to say it was not an easy one for me. I have very little familiarity with South American culture, so this probably contributes to my challenges in following and relating to the story. I did enjoy it, but sadly it’s one I don’t remember well because I wasn’t able to hold it all together in my mind very well.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

This was the book where I was introduced to magical realism. I completely love the book and the style.
50mjk
Currently Reading:

Post by 50mjk »

The best introduction to the literature of South America. Reading it takes some work for the uninitiated but truly a satisfying adventure. Book Clubs may need to add some time for reading and discussion.

Return to “Classic Books”