Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Re: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Post by lady_charlie »

I read this book sort of by accident, I just grabbed it off the shelf at random and discovered it was a classic that I should have read in school!

Oddly enough the part that sticks with me the most was their reaction to the locust invasion.

During the Dust Bowl Americans were horrified as the locusts ate everything.

I was ready to be sad and horrified as the locusts ate everything and made things even worse.

Wrong.....
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

I really appreciate this novel and what Achebe set out to accomplish with it. Prior to this, all the world of literature had to characterize the conquered Niger was Conrad's writings, and what Conrad put to paper didn't flatter Achebe one bit.

And I think Okonkwo really teaches a lot about the anti-hero in any culture. He held onto a lot of anger and resentment toward his father, his son, anything "feminine", and perhaps at the end, himself. And the act he commits at the end, in my reading, symbolizes not only defeat of man and a declining of a paradigm, but the circular end anything and everything meets.

Things Fall Apart is not purely an African text. It lends vision to the greater threat to humankind.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I didn't enjoy reading this book, but I loved the poem at the beginning.

I looked it up real fast on Wikipedia:

The Second Coming
by Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

This was a novel I had to read in college and I instantly fell in love with it. The way he describes things and brings the story to life is unmatched. I instantly went out and searched for some of his other books and they are just as fascinating. It goes on a list of must reads.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
EricaOncMD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EricaOncMD »

Here is a review I wrote recently about this book:

Born on November 16, 1930, Albert Chinualumogu Achebe would eventually be known as the father of African literature, author of the most widely read book in modern African literature, Charles P Stevenson Professor of Languages and Literature (Bard College), and David and Marianna Fisher University Professor of Africana Studies (Brown University). Paralyzed from the waist down after a motor vehicle accident in 1990, there was no stopping this man described by Jonathan Kandell as an "African Literary Titan." The late Nelson Mandela wrote, "There was a writer named Chinua Achebe in whose company the prison walls fell down." After an illustrious career, Achebe died in Boston in 2013, at the age of 82. To celebrate his birth month, I decided to write a review of his first and more famous piece of work, the world famous book called "Things Fall Apart."

William Shakespeare wrote, "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them." Things Fall Apart starts with the story of Okonkwo, a man who toiled from youth, overcame his unfortunate birth circumstances, achieved greatness, and gained the respect of all and sundry.

In the book, we learn about day to day life in pre-colonial Igbo land in Eastern Nigeria. They worked on the farm, they worshipped, and had their family units and extended relations. They laughed and loved, had law and order in their society, and found ways to have a lot of fun.

The reader is also introduced to the very sad story of Ikemefuna, a young lad who was forcibly taken from his home and would live in Okonkwo's homestead. This unfortunate and innocent youth would ultimately be sacrificed for the sins of his father. This event, that Okonkwo was part of, would haunt him forever, and one might argue that karma found its way into his life eventually. Ikemefuna's death also had a profound effect on Nwoye, the eldest son of Okonkwo. What he saw as unfairness in the culture and practices of his ancestors would drive him away, and he would become one of the earliest converts to the Christian faith as European missionaries arrived.

I like how Achebe draws the reader in, in such a way that one gets very attached to the flow of life in Okonkwo's life and his village. When the Europeans arrive, the reader cannot help but feel a great sense of an unwelcome intrusion into a hitherto very functional society. There is a sense of things falling apart, a sense of a people having a new world imposed upon them.

If you have not encountered pre-colonial Africa yet, then this is the best introduction you could ever have. I highly recommend this book. I would very much like to know what you think about this book so please do get in touch!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This was one of the most eye opening books I read in college. I read one other book by Achebe but can't remember what it was right now. I think it might have been a sequel to Things Fall Apart. Will have to do some research later.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

When I was in high school we paired this read with the classic "Heart of Darkness". It is a bit complex, but worth it if you have become fascinated with colonization. I would recommend reading the Sparknotes on each chapter after finishing, it helped me get through this impressionist piece of literature.

I did really enjoy Achebe's novel. Especially after learning about him and reading some of his other works. Glad to know others got something out of it as well.
EricaOncMD

Post by EricaOncMD »

The sequel might have been "No longer at ease". Thank you both for your comments!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this one in high school. It didn't really make an impression on me as I can't really remember anything about it. I guess it wasn't my favorite book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EricaOncMD

Post by EricaOncMD »

I'm sorry to hear that but I appreciate your honesty!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I had no idea that this book was such a classic when I downloaded it. As rath010 mentions, Achebe spent a good portion of this book developing Okonkwo's character and the customs of his people. I was beginning to wonder if there was a story in this book. Never-the-less, I found his development interesting enough to continue reading. When the story started to take shape, I appreciated the effort he took in introducing me to Okonkwo and his culture.
The essence of this story has been expressed in other parts of the world. Earth is technologically shrinking, and a clash of customs is inevitable. What I fond interesting was Achebe's depiction of two characters: Mr. Brown and Mr. Smith. Mr. Brown was intellectually curious enough to attempt an understanding of Okonkwo's customs and beliefs. It seemed to me, the beginning of a peaceful merging of those two cultures. But then Mr. Smith's appearance brought with him an inflated, inflexible ego (my view of him) which resulted in a dominance of one culture over another. I can see a similarity of this story playing out today between the West, and the Middle east – only this conflict is a clash of two titans. I think Max Tyrone makes a point.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I have put off reading this book for far too long. You all have convinced me. I will pick it up today.

Great comments and reviews. Thank you one and all!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
mknewman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mknewman.html

Post by mknewman »

I was lent this while living in Colombia and I remember being haunted by it even though I can only just remember the plot.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes, I totally agree. When I read the book first I was taken aback by the simple, honest narration peppered with African proverbs and folklore. It's a poignant tale and that stays with you forever.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Chinua Achebe was one of the greatest African authors of our time. I first read it in high school and as an African it really made a big impact on me.

Return to “Classic Books”