Reflections: A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alynnes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnes.html

Reflections: A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess

Post by Alynnes »

I somehow missed reading this classic in high school and just picked it up recently. I was indescribably impressed by the intricate layers Burgess explores. In fact, I wish I had been able to read this while in school, for the sole purpose of having a discussion space to further investigate each layer and extract additional theories and symbols. Below are some of the themes I wish I could have discussed with others as I was reading (please add your comments to the discussion!):

-Accessibility of language. The language in this book is a tool that serves to position the reader in a specific way. In the beginning, it creates a feeling of discomfort for the reader. This indicates the striations in society and the sense of unknowing that is present. The reader feels isolated from the narrator, Alex, during this initial introductory period. In some ways this is to the reader's- and Alex's- benefit because we miss some of the finer details of Alex's violent actions and thus have a bit more room for sympathy for his character later on. As we begin to understand the words, we also grow to feel the sense of inclusion in Alex's exclusive group. Perhaps this adds to our sense of loyalty to him. As the book continues, we grow to see how this violent, coded language also has a direct correlation to Alex's violent actions. When Alex has undergone "treatment," his language also changes. This shows how language is socially constructed and also draws to attention the question of whether or not the relationship between language and action is causational.

-The purpose of the book as a coming-of-age novel. We experience Alex over the period of a few years, so, of course, that brings this theme to the table. More significantly though, we learn about the deep divisions between older generations and younger generations. Alex also acknowledges that some of the "work" and "games" he in which he participates in Part 1 are not appropriate for him years later when he leaves jail. What significance does age play in society and politics?

-Who is the hero of the novel? Fictional heros are usually defined by courageous actions, desired characteristics, a moral purpose, and a significant change in their ideals or lifestyle, typically a result of some lesson learned. Alex is the narrator of the story, but does that automatically set him as the hero? He offers some courageous acts- fighting to establish his leadership, making valuable relationships in jail, and surviving the harsh treatment. He does not, however, exemplify many desirable traits- aside from his obvious and sometimes naive confidence, nor does he show much need for a moral purpose. For him, morality is self-strength (discussed momentarily). Finally, the question of him changing or learning a lesson is interesting. For a few chapters Alex acts differently, but it is the result of the treatment and is out of his control. When the treatment is removed, Alex seems the same as he was before, so we are left wondering if he has learned any lesson or grown at all. And, by these definitions, then, who are the enemies?

-How did the society reach this point? What events caused the destruction of morality as we typically define it today? And, perhaps this is naive, but why is the color orange significant?

-The role of music. For Alex, music is like a drug that stimulates his senses and increases his emotional and physiological responses. It serves as the background to his sinful acts, and, eventually, the trigger to try to end his life. It also indicates his human-ness. His appreciation for music is a humanistic quality and, when his treatment causes him to resent the sound of music, we feel he has lost all his human qualities.

-The significance of religion. The Chaplain preaches about morality and ethics in Alex's jail. As readers, we are privy to Alex's own interpretation of his teachings, which lead us to analyze how spirituality can be incredibly diverse and unique to one's experience. In some reviews of the book, Alex is also compared to Christ-figure who is sacrificed to save humanity.

-Sense of hopelessness, but also self-assuredness. Though we do not know what caused the society's structure-or lack thereof- and we are not presented with a very viable solution to "fix" the population, we are aware of the benefit to being able to look out for one's self. It seems the only point Burgess is clear to make is that one can only rely on himself, not the government, not anti-government rebels, not even your close friends. Instead, one should choose the best course of action for himself and be sure of those decisions. Alex resents neutrality. His greatest enemies seem to be those who waste time and space and pass their time idly. The most gruesome action in the story is to remove Alex's sense of identity, though it may be considered "bad" behavior. We may not close this book with an understanding of what is "good" and what is "bad," but instead we understand that what is worse is a lack of choice between the two and the idea that one can be dishonest in his actions. The closest we come to a moral compass in this book is the value placed upon self-reliance and assuredness.

What else do you think?
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I actually saw the movie before I read the book, and I was absolutely blown away by the movie! It was somewhat scary and cool and edgy. This led me to read the book, and I was definitely impressed with it, too! I think the use of music was extremely powerful. It was both reflective and predictive of where Alex's life was going. The first scene where he puts the music on and starts to lose himself, I thought was beautifully done. I also thought this was something that wasn't completely captured in the movie.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Odes Ving 35
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odes-ving-35.html

Post by Odes Ving 35 »

Here are some of the themes that are explored in A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess:
• the nature of good and evil, right and wrong, intertwined with law and power
• free will
• building a culture on a foundation of violence, the results of doing this, and who truly is to blame for crime
• what punishment is justified for transgressors and who can judge
• brainwashing
• turning emotional humans into objects (not magically, Burgess doesn't talk about transfiguration)

Sounds really heavy, right?

I could go into detail about my first failed attempt with reading this novel, how it made me physically ill and how I threw my book across the room (I seriously cried and chucked the book), and how I didn't try reading it again for another couple of years. But I won't. Suffice to say, this is one of those books that will change your life. All you need to do as the reader is pay attention, and try not to vomit.

This book is violent. Let this be your warning: there are a lot of awful, gory, bloody scenes that are dealt with in a casual nonchalant I-just-crushed-that guy's-face-in-and-it-was-fun-but-now-I'm-bored-again sort of voice. Also, Burgess writes the entire thing in slang. No, not the slang you're used to with words like "cool" or "geek," but an entirely new language that you will need to get used to.

This book is deep. There is a slew of awful things that take place such as rape, murder, physical assault, and brainwashing, BUT if you can get past the description you will see that Burgess deals with some very important topics, sometimes in a subtle way, and sometimes not. It will make you question the legal system, how power can be used for the greater good, and what happens when that rational is applied in an extreme way. You will also dry heave. Did I already mention that?

Moving on. This book is meant to provoke. Literature is an art form, and art is meant to make you think. I didn't quite realize this the first time round, but when I finished the book, it became clear. The world of Alex and his droogs is terrifying not only because he runs around with a teenage gang capable of terrible things, but because it hits close to home. It seems each day we are brought new stories of atrocities committed by people of all ages, and backgrounds. Ours is a world in turmoil. What takes place in A Clockwork Orange is possible. When a society is violent to its core, who can blame the youth for their indiscretions? When Alex is confronted by police- those who are meant to protect him and treat him without bias- and become his abusers, we are forced to look in the mirror and examine blame.

If I had to rate this book I would give it four out of four stars, or five out of five. I'd assign it the full star amount because it changed the way I look at our world, my society, and how we as individuals function together to create one bruised, bleeding, vicious, beautiful monster. Alex is my hero because I see his transgressions and his lessons everywhere.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I read this book in high school, not because it was assigned, but because an older brother got me interested. I ended up doing a report on this book along with the book "The Shining" and how each compared to the movies. I think I need to reread "A Clockwork Orange" in order to get a better understanding of it, because I did not fully understand it at age 16. I do remember a feeling of unsettlement in the pit of my stomach after finishing the book as it had altered my perspective on the world.
the biblophile
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by the biblophile »

I have read that book many times and find it endlessly fascinating, I have the volume with twenty first chapter where Alex finally decides on his own to grow up, though I do not think it is out of any moral imperative, but out of boredom. The question I asked my self after reading the book was Alex and his Droogs a product of society, or the other way round? Dose society really get the criminals it deserves? And of coarse the big question dose society have the right to use any means necessary to maintain law and order?
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Have you seen the movie Conspiracy Theory or the Rob Zombie video for his song, Never Gonna Stop? In some ways, this also reminds me of A Beautiful Mind. The book can be interpreted on many levels - the possibility of the rehabilitation of criminals, as an argument against social norms, as an advertisement for or against breastfeeding somehow tying into Egypt, the defining of a bully and a potential Machiavellian defense of the bully. When I was little, I knew people who were supposed to be psychics and I thought that a concentration camp was where psychics, prophets, etc. went to concentrate to try to solve problems, and according to the negative connotations, these camps were not nice places and they were being forced to go there. I probably believed that these people were being forced to solve arguments for horrible criminals because they could think and the criminals did not want to do the thinking. Or, like in the movie Safe where Jason Statham ends up temporarily rescuing a child mathematical genius from bank robbers, or in Mercury Rising, where Bruce Willis ends up protecting a little boy because of codes he can solve. I'm thinking of the part where he is being forced to watch television. I'm not really certain as to the origins of the title. The placement of the works of a clock being stuck inside an orange, literally or figuratively.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This is a classic that has been on my to-read list for such a long time. I have also not seen the movie. I think if I pick it up I will absolutely love it.

Return to “Classic Books”