The invisible man by Ralph ellison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cocoa_isley
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocoa-isley.html

The invisible man by Ralph ellison

Post by cocoa_isley »

So, I had to read the invisible man for my english class, and frankly, I think it's a good book for it's overall story. But I really hated how the book jumped around the whole time and how the narrator started talking about one thing, and then went on to talk about something else. It just doesn't really even make sense sometimes. Like the part in the beginning (the prologue) I think the narrator was drunk when I really think about it.

So, my question that remains: Why do you think the narrator didn't reveal his name?
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

The Invisible Man was one of my favorite books at one time. I've read it at least 4 times. (possibly more) I don't as a rule read books with the blood and gore factor, but this one I actually enjoyed. Who else likes it or not? Please explain why. :roll:
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

Funny story about this book: In high school, our teacher sent out our reading list before school started. I bought and read The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Imagine my confusion when our class discussion began and everyone was talking about race and discrimination, and here I'd read a book about a man who creates a serum that makes his body disappear.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

amybo82 wrote:Funny story about this book: In high school, our teacher sent out our reading list before school started. I bought and read The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Imagine my confusion when our class discussion began and everyone was talking about race and discrimination, and here I'd read a book about a man who creates a serum that makes his body disappear.
That is amusing! ;) It is interesting that that by becoming invisible the invisible man no longer had to worry about things like race. He just had to worry about going crazy, and being caught for doing terrible things.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The book by Ralph Ellison is actually called Invisible Man, and yes, it should not be confused with The Invisible Man by H G Wells.

Invisible Man, which was Ellison's only novel, is a truly great example of Afro-American literature and was well ahead of its time in the topics that it covered. Published in 1952, it well preceded the dramatic civil rights movements in the United States during the 1960s.

The issues detailed in the book remain relevant today, as black people in many parts of the world remain socially and racially invisible.

This is a book everyone should read.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

amybo82 wrote:Funny story about this book: In high school, our teacher sent out our reading list before school started. I bought and read The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. Imagine my confusion when our class discussion began and everyone was talking about race and discrimination, and here I'd read a book about a man who creates a serum that makes his body disappear.

That is a hilarious mix up! I hope your teacher showed you mercy!

I just couldn’t get into this book when I tried to read it in high school, so I went the sparknotes route. Now that I am older, it is very high on my to-read list. It seems right up my alley.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

Oooh! I have this book but haven't read it yet - it sounds really good from reading these posts, so maybe I'll cue it up to be next in line. Thanks people :)
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

haha The same thing happened to one of the girls in my Classic's English course. We had 10 'classics' that we read over the course and discussed... anyway she was more of a cliffnoter and less of an avid reader... and she came to class with The Invisible Man and was all happy "I actually read this one!" I realized she had the wrong book right away. Poor thing. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
BookWorm95

Post by BookWorm95 »

I read this book in my AP Lit class in the 12th grade. At first is so super confusing and I didn't enjoy it, but after I trained my brain to see all the metaphors and symbolism, I went crazy! My copy of the book has many highlighted parts and written notes in the margin. I fell in love with it and made it my personal mission to understand all that Ellison was trying to say. I have read it twice, anticipating a third time, and still haven't combed through all the hidden messages. This book can be described in one word... genius. I never used Spark Notes when I initially read it. This allow me to grow as a reading and expand my mind. Now I see what others have picked up and note it. This book will keep you going back and never fail to surprise it. I love my teacher for introducing me to Invisible Man and the love of literature.
willowreader

Post by willowreader »

As a H.G. Wells fan this book is a favorite of mine. For me, a book is good when I become the characters in the book, feel what they feel and when someone walks in the room but I don't even notice. I was always drawn to the idea of becoming invisible and here H.G. Wells captures this idea! What the challenges would be but also the advantages. Defiantly a good book.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

willowreader wrote:As a H.G. Wells fan this book is a favorite of mine. For me, a book is good when I become the characters in the book, feel what they feel and when someone walks in the room but I don't even notice. I was always drawn to the idea of becoming invisible and here H.G. Wells captures this idea! What the challenges would be but also the advantages. Defiantly a good book.
You have the wrong book for this thread willowreader. This is about Invisibe Man by Ralph Ellison, not The Invisible Man by H G Wells. They are completely different.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
BlueBella
Currently Reading: State of Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by BlueBella »

Ralph Elisson's Writing is great. Although the content of this Novel is sad it is moving because of the way his writing is so realistic. This is one of the books that inspired me to form deeper connections when creating my own characters.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”