Have you read a classic recently?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Have you read a classic recently?

Post by obiebookworm »

Orwell's 1984...about 4 years ago. Sad, isn't it?
Obiebookworm
mikesx50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mikesx50 »

I retired last October and reading some classics was one of the things I promised myself to do. To date I have read 16 and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. I have never enjoyed reading as much as I have these past few months.
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

mikesx50 wrote:I retired last October and reading some classics was one of the things I promised myself to do. To date I have read 16 and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. I have never enjoyed reading as much as I have these past few months.
I'm jealous! :cry: (Good for you!!!!)
Obiebookworm
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I read Fahrenheit 451, The Animal Farm and Jane Eyre as part of my English curriculum a few weeks ago (lucky me, I got to choose which books to read) - made me realize I should read more classics.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

RebekaV wrote:I read Fahrenheit 451, The Animal Farm and Jane Eyre as part of my English curriculum a few weeks ago (lucky me, I got to choose which books to read) - made me realize I should read more classics.
I just LOVE Jane Eyre!!!!! :D
Obiebookworm
RebekaV

Post by RebekaV »

Do you? That's great to hear! It has been my favourite book since I was 9 years old!!! I have watched most of the movie adaptations as well and even got the soundtrack of the musical. I'm a bit obsessed with it, really. I reread it every year.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

RebekaV wrote:Do you? That's great to hear! It has been my favourite book since I was 9 years old!!! I have watched most of the movie adaptations as well and even got the soundtrack of the musical. I'm a bit obsessed with it, really. I reread it every year.
There's a musical for Jane Eyre? I had no idea!
Obiebookworm
RebekaV

Post by RebekaV »

Yes, there is. It was played on Broadway in 2000. James Barbour played Rochester and Marla Schaffer was Jane. The composer is Paul Gordon. Unfortunately I could only find the soundtrack, not the video version, but it's quite good. There is also a very good website for all the Jane Eyre adaptations made (including movies, plays, musicals and books written based on JE) if you're interested. I can't post links yet, because I haven't been a member long enough, but if you google The Enthusiast's Guide to Jane Eyre you should be able to find it - it's the first hit and there's eyreguide written in the link.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I am reading thru Plato's Republic.

I did not pick it up of my own accord. I got it off a list of books that, according to someone, I need to be familiar with in order to be moderately well-educated. :-) So as to provide an educated parent for my kids.

Of course, the Republic is brilliant in many ways. There are lots of ideas in it that we have all espoused at one time or another, and that have long been in the air of our culture, so there are many "So that's where that came from!" moments. And to think that Plato (or maybe Socrates) was the first person to articulate this stuff ... genius, right there.

Having said, there are also some shockingly bad ideas in it. Plato's ideal society would have no families, kids raised in institutions, and almost no private property. All this would supposedly get rid of human conflict, because people can't get possessive over "their" kids or "their" property. The naivete of this takes my breath away.

I guess a philosopher from 1,000 years ago might be forgiven for recommending this stuff. But by now ... it's been tried, and the cure is worse than the disease.

OK, lecture over.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:I am reading thru Plato's Republic.

I did not pick it up of my own accord. I got it off a list of books that, according to someone, I need to be familiar with in order to be moderately well-educated. :-) So as to provide an educated parent for my kids.

Of course, the Republic is brilliant in many ways. There are lots of ideas in it that we have all espoused at one time or another, and that have long been in the air of our culture, so there are many "So that's where that came from!" moments. And to think that Plato (or maybe Socrates) was the first person to articulate this stuff ... genius, right there.

Having said, there are also some shockingly bad ideas in it. Plato's ideal society would have no families, kids raised in institutions, and almost no private property. All this would supposedly get rid of human conflict, because people can't get possessive over "their" kids or "their" property. The naivete of this takes my breath away.

I guess a philosopher from 1,000 years ago might be forgiven for recommending this stuff. But by now ... it's been tried, and the cure is worse than the disease.

OK, lecture over.
I don't ever remember reading this back in the day. No families? Yikes! And he was considered a great philosopher???
Obiebookworm
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I read an abridged version of The Secret Garden with a Japanese student who was studying English. It was cute, but we had just finished reading some horror book that we were both into a lot more, so we agreed that The Secret Garden wasn't that exciting.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:I read an abridged version of The Secret Garden with a Japanese student who was studying English. It was cute, but we had just finished reading some horror book that we were both into a lot more, so we agreed that The Secret Garden wasn't that exciting.
I have read the unabridged version of it and loved it. I think the abridged versions are less good than the full versions.

-- August 30th, 2014, 5:40 pm --

I have read many classics in my early youth, but not recently.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I finished rereading A Tale of Two Cities just a few days ago, and before that I read Horrid Mysteries by Carl Grosse. I'm waiting for The Orphan of the Rhine to come through from the library; I'm on a bit of a Gothic horror kick.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Evergreen22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evergreen22 »

Currently in the middle of Plato's Symposium and plan on reading The Republic after ^.^ I'm also at the end of The Hunchback of Notre Dame - I don't know if that counts as a classic, but I love it!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Evergreen22 wrote:Currently in the middle of Plato's Symposium and plan on reading The Republic after ^.^ I'm also at the end of The Hunchback of Notre Dame - I don't know if that counts as a classic, but I love it!
"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is most certainly a classic. I have read it a long time ago and loved it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”