1984 by George Orwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ryoku
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryoku.html

1984 by George Orwell

Post by ryoku »

After reading Animal Farm I wanted to pick this book up however I never got around to reading it so when I found this at my used book store I had to pick it up. I really enjoy Orwell's writing the way he presents his worlds are so intense, wonderful and down right mesmerizing. It's safe to say that in the beginning nothing really happens, the intensity level grows in similar ways that you watch scary movies. I got so invested in the characters wondering what is going to happen next and what are they planning to do. I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read another George Orwell book.
thelitchick
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelitchick.html

Post by thelitchick »

Orwell's words are definitely an acquired taste. I personally hated Animal Farm. I appreciated his technique and quality as a writer, but it didn't push me to read any more of his works until later on. 1984, however, really captivated me. I'm unsure if it was because of the story or the age difference (I was younger when I read Animal Farm), but somehow I grew an appreciation for his storytelling. Orwell isn't someone I want to yank off the shelf immediately, but I wouldn't mind getting caught up in one of his books again.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I first discovered Orwell when my mom picked up a copy of Animal Farm for me from the library, and some weeks later she picked up 1984. I remember being chilled and delighted, and the one thing I don't much care for about it is how people tend to assume that all sorts of things are a political slippery slope to the world ending up like that. I know that I got really into the book, and I think it was my first dystopia, aside from The Giver. Looking back, I think I didn't fully appreciate everything in it (but then, I was likely not even sixteen), especially not the way Orwell portrayed humans as striving but bound by weaknesses.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplication - there is already a topic open for this book

A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”