Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MariePick
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariepick.html

Re: Jane Eyre

Post by MariePick »

Wow, this is my first post in this forum! I have enjoyed reading your thoughts on Jane Eyre. I didn't read it until I was an adult but I fell in love immediately. Reading through these posts make me want to reread it and WH.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I didn't mind reading it in high school. I haven't read it over again though as I have Pride and Prejudice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
dimes
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimes.html

Post by dimes »

I think I have a similar experience to you. I first read Jane Eyre when I was in my teens and I hated it. The romance wasn't strong enough for me, the writing was draggy and it was a torture to sit through. I shelved it for many, many years and one day, in my early 20's, I picked it up again. I have loved it ever since. What was draggy writing to me now became a beautiful landscape painted with words. The strength of the romance at the heart of it came through more to me now.

At this point, I am re-reading Jane Eyre in the form of an audiobook by Thandie Newton. Love her narration!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I had never actually heard of Jane Eyre until I took a lit class in college. When I first heard the premise for the novel, I was a little turned off. But once I read it, I fell in love with it and have read it several times since then.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I love Jane Eyre. I had the same experience as a lot of other commenters, I was forced to read it in school and didn't care for it much, then rediscovered it as an adult. I'm actually considering leading a discussion on Jane Eyre for a book club.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I loved Jane Eyre when I was in high school and have read it several times since. But, like the OP, I don't quite know why I like it so much. It's been awhile, so maybe I should read it again soon.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Susan ONeal

Post by Susan ONeal »

I love Jane Eyre also. There is something about the theme of the book that touches my heart. I guess I identify with the character in some ways. I can say that this is my favorite book over all.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Yes, I appreciate so many things more now than I did in my teens. Yet, it's good to introduce teens to things. "Jane Eyre" is brilliant I know, and I look forward to rereading it with the benefit of more life experience. Going to see a new musical version of it soon!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
MindyW
Currently Reading: Allegiant
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by MindyW »

kaytie wrote:I love Jane Eyre! There's also a book called Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys that explores (in a very different style) the life of Bertha, the crazy woman in the attic, which is definitely worth reading.
The Wide Sargasso Sea is all I could think of when I read Jane Éyre. The way that Bertha is treated in WSS made me furious. So, reading Jane Éyre, I keep thinking of the poor woman who is trapped in the attic. Jane thinks she found love, but the jerk never says he is already married. Nor does he even plan to tell her. Then she returns??? The idea of coming back to a man who not only was dishonest but was going to make you fool is crazy to me. Jane returns to a broken man, a burned home, and her place as his care giver and wife. Why would someone want that when she could have freedom? Is the lure of a man in your bed so much? I didn't understand and I never will.
DanceRhythm
Currently Reading: Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancerhythm.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by DanceRhythm »

I love Jane Eyre! I first read it as a teenager in a Russian translation. I thought it was simply amazing! I later reread it several times in English, and had the same reaction. To me, this is the mark of a true classic - this book resonates with all ages and even transcends cultures.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

'Jane Eyre', is a book for the classic book lovers like me I love reading it, I can even read it two times in a month, that's to say that it is worth reading and very enjoyable, you to read it if you've not.
Evike
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evike.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Evike »

I did read it a long time ago and I absolutely loved it. Lately, I been thinking about reading it again since this is one of those books, which touches my Heart.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I really like the humor in these stories. I do not try to analyze I just enjoy.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
EDDY OKOTH
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by EDDY OKOTH »

i read alot in high school
Daniel_atumah
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_atumah »

One of my best reads loved the book

Return to “Classic Books”