The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar

The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros

Post by melrose226 »

Cute in parts, heartbreaking in parts, empowering in parts. Overall, deceptively simple. It reads like a children's book (for at least the first half) but it's about SO much more it seems at first glance. It's also a short and easy read, so if you're curious or into Latina/Chicana literature, it's worth a glance.

Rating: 4 stars. It didn't captivate me enough for 5 but it's too well written for 3.5.
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar
Salma Siddiqui
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

I agree that this is deceptively simple. I read it at thirteen but it resonated with me in high school as I matured and came to fully understand the contents. I love that it does not sugar coat the hardships of poverty, especially for minorities and that it can captivate readers of any background. I would recommend it to girls between twelve and fourteen. It is also a coming-of-age type of book with which girls of that age group can identify.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I was assigned to read it when I was in eighth grade and loved it, because the writing style felt so fluid, like nothing I'd ever read before. It was probably the most musical book I've ever read, and I've got a copy tucked away somewhere that I'll have to dig out and read again.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I love this book. I felt like I was reading about some of my own bits of childhood and agree about it being deceptively simple. I read it when I was in high school I think. I also hold a soft spot for it because it was the first book I read in Spanish.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Read this for summer reading in high school and hated it so much. It was so broken up and so boring. I usually enjoy some parts of books I read and recall those special parts, but this book left me with nothing memorable.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

What really stood out to me was that the author really understands the psychology of being poor and how it affects those who grow up in it

Return to “Classic Books”