Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar

Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

Post by melrose226 »

As I always do when applicable, I want to start this review with a disclaimer: I read this book as part of a college course, so it was not technically one of my own choosing. That said, here is what I thought:

This book is really really good. I realize that you probably know that already, seeing as how it's a seminal African American text and considered a masterpiece of American literature, but still, it bears repeating. The story is touching with just the right amount of heartbreak, and I felt enough of a connection with Janie that I can say I liked her as a character (although if I'm being honest her helplessness got to me a bit, especially towards the beginning).

A friend of mine read this book and noted in her review that although it is considered a feminist text, Janie didn't feel like a "feminist" character. While I understand her thinking on this point, I need to respectfully disagree. Janie handles unimaginable situations with grace and poise. She has the strength of will to break free of a life she doesn't wish to lead (twice), and is able to commit an unthinkable act without shattering because it is required of her. She lives through a hurricane, both literal and emotional, and comes out the other side still standing. And that, to me, is the definition of a strong female.

If you haven't read this book yet, I recommend you remedy that situation immediately (and, honestly, if you're still a student, you'll probably be forced to read this at some point during your studies). While it's especially relevant if you're a woman or a minority, the themes are universal and real. Honestly, even if you don't fully connect with this book, it's one of those texts that simply deserves the time it takes for you to read it. I hope you'll find it as important and classic as I did.

Rating: 4 stars.
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar
winsomefish
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winsomefish.html

Post by winsomefish »

I also loved this book, but I did feel like it had some problematic themes in relation to feminism and the way our society view the relationship between women and men. Janie's ideal relationship is one of symbiotic dependency that recognizes the differences in roles between men and women, which is not inherently problematic, but it reinforces the gender dichotomy inherently, and doesn't provide for differences in dynamics, not to mention homosexuality. I feel that she is a feminist figure because she aims to satisfy herself emotionally and physically as the book goes on and in the end she is happy with herself and doesn't need a man in her life, but she only got there through the love of Tea Cake, another thing which is vaguely problematic. So, in short, I would say she is a feminist character in the same way that characters like Elizabeth Bennet are feminist characters--she is strong within the mold placed on women at that time in society. She carves out a strong sense of self within that mold, but does nothing to break it.

Can I just say I loved the juxtaposition of the high-flung prose and the colloquial dialogue? Gorgeous.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

It's been a while since I've read this book the second time but I loved the story. I first read it in high school, and it was difficult for me to understand because English is not my first language and the dialogue was difficult for me to overcome. When I read it for the second time in college, I felt much more in tune with the story and had a better appreciation of Janie's strength. I would recommend this as a must read for all.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
aclark02
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aclark02.html

Post by aclark02 »

I found this book very interesting. I read it in high school as part of an AP Literature course, and I fell in love with it. I especially loved how the author uses the silence of characters as a form of power. Strength is conveyed in very interesting ways in the novel, which really caught my attention.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I also read this book for an AP lit class, but I absolutely loved it and have reread it several times since. It is one of my all time favorites. Having read it at 3 drastically different points in my life, each reading as provided me with a wholly different story – the best kind of book! I think I am due for round 4 soon.
This is such an important piece of African American and feminist literature, I would encourage anyone to read it!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
lilnursesuhy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilnursesuhy.html

Post by lilnursesuhy »

I read this book also as a part of an AP class in high school but have reread it several times and even watched the movie when I found out that there was one.
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

I read this novel on my own last year and fell in love with Hurston's prose and even the language that reminds me of 19th century sketches--but more bearable! I mean, a person whose accent makes him say "I God" is just genius! As much as this can be considered a feminist novel, I found Janie transcendent of that. She's not like Lena Grove of Faulkner's Light in August where we have the case of the city puts the girl into motion (though with that we have a whole other analysis of the times); Janie, for the most part, acts according to her own compass. She knows what she wants, and she makes her own mistakes, just like anybody. But the way things quickly turn favors for and against her--since this world is not the domain of humankind (and this I appreciate, too)--make this story so interesting.

This is one of my favorites (at number 10 currently).
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
cobrabubbles525
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by cobrabubbles525 »

I just finished reading this book for an English class, and while initially I wasn't terribly impressed, as it progressed I got sucked into the storyline and the character's personalities. It's clear that an immense amount of thought and effort went into creating the characters and overall story, with a lot of attention to detail. While the story is not particularly relatable, as it takes place in the early 1900's, it's an engaging story, and generally, a good read. I'd rate it at around an 8/10, as the story starts off a little slow & boring, but it really picks up and creates a refreshing perspective on one woman's journey through life.
Rach_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-antone.html

Post by Rach_A »

This book really had a big impact on me. My old librarian teacher had recommend it to me and I didn't want to read it because it really didn't seem that interesting to me but once I read it, I was surprised that I like it. The background being the whole story was really drawing and you could just feel the sadness running through the words.
amb1339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amb1339.html

Post by amb1339 »

This book does deal with race, like a lot of other good books, but I would recommended reading this one. It provides a different perspective on racism and sexism. It's more realistic than many other books, which I liked. I may take a whille to get used to the writing style, but after a while it makes sense and is a good read.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I had to read this book in high school, and while every single one of my classmates hated it, I loved it. It blew me away. I was reading it a time when I was questioning a romantic relationship, and this book helped me realize that you only need to love yourself. Janie is a self-reliant bad ass. Most of my class couldn't get past the dialogue, which I found to be impressive and made the story more realistic. This book also helped me realize that I have a love for historical, specifically historical southern, fiction. Hurston has a powerful that is a force to be reckoned with.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I also read this as part of an AP course. This became my go to book when I don't know what to read next. I love the way the author showcases the struggles that Janie faces during her life. From being told what to do to becoming a strong independent woman, her challenges drove me to better myself.
snooky
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by snooky »

This novel is a packet of surprises as we have no idea what’s going to happen next. Many romantic novels basically have the same plot, but this novel is something no one would have ever imagined. I really love this book and this is based on real life :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I remember reading this novel for a school assignment and having to compare and contrast it from the movie. I enjoyed both the film and the book. It was also an interesting read because previous to this book, I had never read a book in a different dialect. Also this book was one that made me research other classic African American writers. You can kind of say it made a small difference in my life.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

winsomefish wrote: 01 Jul 2014, 13:53 I also loved this book, but I did feel like it had some problematic themes in relation to feminism and the way our society view the relationship between women and men. Janie's ideal relationship is one of symbiotic dependency that recognizes the differences in roles between men and women, which is not inherently problematic, but it reinforces the gender dichotomy inherently, and doesn't provide for differences in dynamics, not to mention homosexuality. I feel that she is a feminist figure because she aims to satisfy herself emotionally and physically as the book goes on and in the end she is happy with herself and doesn't need a man in her life, but she only got there through the love of Tea Cake, another thing which is vaguely problematic. So, in short, I would say she is a feminist character in the same way that characters like Elizabeth Bennet are feminist characters--she is strong within the mold placed on women at that time in society. She carves out a strong sense of self within that mold, but does nothing to break it.

Can I just say I loved the juxtaposition of the high-flung prose and the colloquial dialogue? Gorgeous.
My definition of feminism includes the women who want to live and uphold the dichotomy for their own sake. Janie is strong enough to choose how she lives her life, and I feel that to have a choice is enough for my definition. No, she doesn't break traditional roles, but I believe that it's because she's comfortable with her designated duties and such that traditionally come along with being a woman.

Return to “Classic Books”