A Farewell to Arms

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LindaMacai
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Farewell to Arms

Post by LindaMacai »

I think I read this in High School, but I can't remember it so it must not have left a very good impression on me back then, Only part way through and I am not sure how I feel about it yet. The main character is starting to grown on me I think.
WhynottBlog
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whynottblog.html

Post by WhynottBlog »

I also read this is high school, twice. In a row. Not for homework. I remember really loving it for some reason. I want to reread it and see if my memory is just playing tricks on me.
indomitablereader

Post by indomitablereader »

Hemingway differed vastly from many of his contemporaries by using his language to paint a very accurate picture of his world, sans the pretentious verbose language that was common for the era. All of his works are written by someone with a journalist viewpoint and vehicle, but who also understood plot and the trappings of a good story. The greatest accomplishments and most beautiful allusions of "a Farewell to Arms" are not found in what is said, but what is omitted. So many times Frederic has what seems to be a menial conversation with another character, but the true weight of what is being said can only be understood by looking past the words to the true nature of these very human conversations.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I remember liking it when I read it, although now I don't remember much about it... Hemingway has a refreshing style, no matter what he writes. I just saw the movie yesterday, it didn't impress me.
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

I love Hemingway's writing style. It wouldn't fit the style of all writers to boil down their prose until only the essential bones remain, but seeing the way that Hemingway does just this is instructive nonetheless. Economical use of language and meaning more than you explicitly say are great qualities for any fiction.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
Michael_hayden
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-hayden.html

Post by Michael_hayden »

This may be tantamount to heresy, but I've always found Hemmingway a little, well... boring (gasp!)

I get that the whole point of his writing is this he explores what it is to be normal in the context of a horrifying situation (I.e. War), but he has just never grabbed me.

Perhaps I shall have to return to him in the future and see if fresh eyes can pick up anything!
Archer

Post by Archer »

I remember expecting to be bored by FTA, and my surprise at what it did for me, his iceberg style definitely did something for me, I love the challenge of reading between lines, which is less challenging in FTA than some of his other works (the short story Hills Like White Elephants anyone?) but nevertheless required because of the lack of statements in favor of implications

And the whole idea of "living by the code" the way Hemingway's heroes (and heroines) do in order to handle to wound/void seems like its just as relevant now, though maybe for different reasons.

Also, I love his quotes on drinking. Like, all of them.
jctnteach
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jctnteach.html

Post by jctnteach »

Just lately I discovered Hemingway. What a travesty it took me decades to find him. This is in my top two all-time favorites. I loved his romantic affair against the backdrop of war and the way the main character viewed women. The ending was classic. I hated it when I read it, but the more I reflected the deeper meaning it held for me. Everyone ought to give this one a read.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I read this book for the first time in high school. It was the only time a teacher allowed us to choose our own book off a list of 200+ classics (instead of being forced to read the typical drab like "The Scarlet Letter" or "The Fountainhead."

I absolutely loved this novel...still one of my all-time favorites. Hemingway's style is unique and forces the reader to find the true thread of the story in all the words that are NOT said. This can prove tricky in some of his other works, but FTA is the exception. It's a beautiful love story against the backdrop of a well-illustrated WWI Italy. Some say he wrote this based on personal experience, though to what extent the fact bleeds into the fiction is unknown. You can feel Hemingway's heart and anguish in this love story, so I tend to believe it was very personal to him.
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

It is a strong story, beautiful and sad at the same time. It is a novel of war
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

What I really love about Ernest Hemingway is his short and crisp lines. While I have read his novels such as For Whom the Bell Tolls and, The Old Man and the Sea, I have not read Farewell to Arms. But, his writing style remains the same in most of his books. I am particularly drawn to his style of "ice berg effect". In his typical narrative, Hemingway just gives a tip (of the ice berg) of the story and leaves the reader to fill up the gaps.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I was not a fan of this book when I read it. Hemmingway's minimilism works really well in his short stories, but it leaves a lot lacking in his novels. The dialogue felt way too unnatural.

Return to “Classic Books”