Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Little Women

Post by Darling_Reads »

Little Women was the first Classic Novel I read when I was a girl. I was in the 3rd grade and they said it would be difficult and advanced for me but I read it anyway. I fell in love with the characters and the plight of the girls. My teacher was surprised that I actually read it but I was able to understand the story. I read it again when I was in middle school as it was an option on one of our required reading lists. It remains one of my favorite Classics.
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
GeraldineMcClintock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldinemcclintock.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by GeraldineMcClintock »

I started reading this book when I was younger but, never did finish it. I'm not a big fan of author that describe every leaf, tree or every blemish on a character face. So I agree with others that have said the story is wordy and preachy. This for me is a big turn off.
verymuchmeg
Favorite Author: Kirsten Miller
Favorite Book: The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
Currently Reading: The Brontes by Juliet Barker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verymuchmeg.html
fav_author_id: 22721

Post by verymuchmeg »

This was my absolute favorite book growing up, and well into my 20's. As an only child, I loved how I could temporarily slip into the world of the March family. You might want to consider reading the book Marmee and Louisa by Eva La Plante. It could be a great guide to your book-related discussions! Also, several times when I was reading Little Women (I was also a Girl Scout from 1st grade Brownies all the way through until I became a leader), I noticed that it was almost as if the March family made their own small troop of Girl Scouts. After all, they did a lot of the same activities: hikes, service projects, activities involving the arts....
stoops96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoops96.html

Post by stoops96 »

I know this book is mainly for young girls and women and I've never read it, but after seeing this thread, I went and wiki'd it. I know, I know, that's cheating, but I wanted to get an idea what it was about. Also, I will probably read the book as I think it's in the public domain and I found a pdf version of it online.

To me, I think this book shaped the lives of many young women. That's how powerful a book can be. It can shape lives and change the course of history. I think this is one of those books. Like many are saying, it shows young girls that it's okay to be independent and to make mistakes and to go after equality in a world that teaches that inequality is right.

I believe in equality for all. To me, the most healthy situation for the world is the idealized version of the family. The father out working to support his family. Strong, to show his sons how to be strong, and to show them how to take care of a woman. And sensitive to show his daughter how a man is supposed to treat a woman.

The wife at home taking care of the home and kids, making sure the kids are not out there getting into trouble, hanging around the wrong kids, watching/listening to the wrong things. Basically steering them in the right path by always being there for them. Kids should be guided by their parents or else bad things will do it for them.

The situation where the parents are guiding their children is a far cry from what's going on today. Kids are being raised by teachers and by other kids and by a television set and by the internet and by themselves. This is leading to a breakdown of the family unit. Life is becoming more disorganized and chaotic, unhealthy. Not cohesive like it should be.

The continued cycle of the idealized family, keeps the family unit whole. Once it's deviated from, bad things start to happen. I really think that if people aren't ready to sacrifice for a family, then they shouldn't get married or have children. Getting married and having children is a big responsibility. Not something one should take in stride or have a cavalier attitude about. Men should know this, women should know this.

Getting married and having children is not about equality. It's about sacrifice. It's about giving up your equality. It's about giving up your independence. It's about giving up your freedom. It's not about YOU anymore. A selfish attitude should be an oxymoron to getting married and having kids.

But that's not how many people think. Many people keep their selfish attitudes. They make it all about them. It's all me, me, me! If people want to be selfish and not sacrifice, and only think about me, me, me, then they shouldn't get married and they definitely should not have kids. Stay single and be selfish.

Once you get married and have kids, forget about equality, forget about freedom, forget about independence, and forget about yourself. This goes for the man and woman. Because it stops being about you and starts being about what is best for the family unit. What is healthy for the family unit. And what is healthy for the future of humanity.

Because that's what our kids are. The future of humanity. Show them the right way, how to sacrifice and give up for their families and they will pass it on to their kids. And the cycle will continue. And instead of disorganized and chaotic, the future of humanity will be healthy and strong.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Stoops96: Wow you really had a lot to say there. Not sure how you got all of that out of Little Women, especially as you didn't actually read it. And even though I basically agree with a lot of what you said I don't see how it relates to Little Women all that much. You may want to step off your soap box and ease up a little, unless of course you are trying to be a troll, then okay, your doing that really well.

Little Woman is sweet book with good values, written in a time when family was a strong and fought for value. Mr March is fighting for the freedom of his family which leaves his wife and girls to struggle along until his return. Reading about that struggle we can all learn about love, sacrifice and family unity. There, from someone who has read the book . . . Just saying.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I have always really enjoyed this story. I've read it completely through a couple of times. When I first read the book I was about the same age as the younger girls and of course it was easy to relate to them and the challenges of growing up. I liked the way the author explored the relationships between the girls and the adults in their lives.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
cduggins17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cduggins17.html

Post by cduggins17 »

The film version of Little Women is my step-sister's favorite movie to watch around the holidays. I have yet to read the book, but from what others are saying, I believe I would enjoy it greatly. I wonder if it would be a good book for high school students, but it seems its more for a younger audience.
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

I enjoyed the book the few times I've read it. (By few I mean like 2 or 3 times.) I like the sequels better, though. (Little Men, and Jo's Boys)
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I really don't remember much about this book, but I swear I read it when I was younger. Maybe I need to read it again to jog my memory.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
kcondo

Post by kcondo »

Little women anti-feminist. Don't know is that is true. I would think you would have to consider the feminine roles of that time period. Jo March is no ordinary women. Yes she has ordinary aspects to her life. However, she chooses to do something with it that is noble and brave. She doesn't let her slide into a traditional role stop her from chasing what she wants. Therefore in response to the first response of this forum. Yes those people are nuts. Little women is the first book I ever read in its entirety,. And I definitely was bitten by the book bug. Life after the March family was never the same.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

Little Women is definately not anti-feminist. In fact, Bronson Alcott, the father of Louisa, was friends with Ralph Waldo Emerson, and had a school for both boys and girls. Education for women, and being an active participant of society was a central feature of most of her children's novel.

-- 18 Nov 2014, 20:13 --

Little Women is definately not anti-feminist. In fact, Bronson Alcott, the father of Louisa, was friends with Ralph Waldo Emerson, and had a school for both boys and girls. Education for women, and being an active participant of society was a central feature of most of her children's novel.
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

Try to concentrate on how the March sisters (and Laurie) mature throughout the book. Always remember to list their struggles, their qualities before the struggles, and then the qualities they attain after the struggles.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
lovablegeek123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovablegeek123.html

Post by lovablegeek123 »

OH I love this book! It makes me so happy and the writing is so easy to follow that anyone can enjoy it.
tashinam18
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashinam18.html
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by tashinam18 »

I read Little Women this summer and completely understood Jo:)! Since then I have read the sequel, Little Men but have not been able to get my hands on Jo's boys. But I am hoping to be able to soon. I just love the way it is written.
Robee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robee.html

Post by Robee »

I really liked reading this book when I was in elementary and it was assigned to me. I was able to speak up for myself and stay rooted to my beliefs because of the experiences in the book.

Return to “Classic Books”