Stoner by John Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kateevelyne
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kateevelyne.html

Stoner by John Williams

Post by kateevelyne »

I recently read this nearly forgotten but rediscovered gem of a classic book by John Williams.
It was originally written in 1965, but fell out of print a year later only to be rediscovered in 2006. Last year it earned the title of book of the year at Waterstone's and it's popularity seems to be snow balling still. I read it on the recommendation of a friend and I am hoping to spread the word of this book further by reviewing it here. I noticed that when I did a search there were no results.

Stoner tells the life story of the central character William Stoner. Set in Midwestern America in the early to mid twentieth century. It tells of Stoner's unlikely transformation from to lowly farm hand to respected university lecturer. It is a story of the unnecessary hardships endured by Stoner and inflicted by others far more selfish and unstable than himself. I have a great respect for the main character and truly wished the best for him, and felt anger on his behalf when he refused to let his circumstances drag him down. His quiet stoicism and gentle pride are an inspiration to me.

This book is extremely well written. It is not a story of great adventure, or excitement. It does not have twists and turns, or great highs and lows, it is a quiet observation of an unlikely hero.

I would read this book again as there was enough substance that I am sure I could find something new each time I read it. I am really pleased that I picked up this book, and I really hope to influence others to do the same.

Return to “Classic Books”