Steinbeck, anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aarchul2
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarchul2.html

Re: Steinbeck, anyone?

Post by aarchul2 »

I read The Grapes of Wrath last summer and it is truly a great book. It shows what was happening at the time on both sides without watering it down. It was amazing to read about a time that no one really wants to talk about. The Great Depression is barely a chapter in today's history books. This goes straight into the heart of the people that were affected and not just the political and economic side of it. I recommend this book to everyone.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

aarchul2 wrote:I read The Grapes of Wrath last summer and it is truly a great book. It shows what was happening at the time on both sides without watering it down. It was amazing to read about a time that no one really wants to talk about. The Great Depression is barely a chapter in today's history books. This goes straight into the heart of the people that were affected and not just the political and economic side of it. I recommend this book to everyone.
I recommend a book called The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. It's a non-fiction account of the Dustbowl Era. Fascinating read if you want to know more about the backdrop to Steinbeck's great novel.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

We are reading the Grapes of Wrath in my heritage class right now. I find it quite difficult to enjoy because of the constant dialect used. It's very frustrating to look past, especially because the plot is quite compelling. I'm also finding that the same descriptions are used multiple times in one paragraph, which I find quite annoying.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
emmawatson009
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by emmawatson009 »

I have read “The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights” few years back. It is a very interesting book. I bought it from online bookstore "Zapper". John Steinbeck is one of the best great authors!!
Alleyeb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alleyeb »

I read "Of Mice and Men" my freshman year of high school. It was one of those books that I didn't quite appreciate at the time, but eight years later and I still find myself referencing it every now and again. I hope that Steinbeck remains in the curriculum for high school English students for years to come.
jctnteach
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jctnteach.html

Post by jctnteach »

The great American novel has been written. Steinbeck is the author and East of Eden is the book. I read it in college and then again for three years with my honors English class. In most popular/classic novels one element stands out as noteworthy. What makes this such a great classic is the multiple noteworthy aspects of the novel. Cathy the antagonist, the poignant philosophy of Lee, the endearing words of Samuel Hamilton, the iconic picturesque scenes, and the age old question of good v evil/nature v nurture displayed in the lives of the Trask family members. It's an excellent novel that is reading on deep level.
MissBookyWorm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missbookyworm.html

Post by MissBookyWorm »

I read a couple of Steinbeck's books and Of Mice and Men is still my absolute favorite. Steinbeck creates a world where you can feel for the characters, their struggles and the decisions they have to make just to simply survive.
psdoerksen
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psdoerksen.html

Post by psdoerksen »

On Steinbeck novel that's underrepresented is The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights. It takes him a little while to hit his stride--it's a new genre for him, obviously--but when he gets to the tale of Gawain, Ewain and Marhalt we find a spirit of adventure true to the Arthurian tradition, not to mention dimensions that are all Steinbeck: skillful (and delightful) dialogue, and many interesting commonplace realities which vivify life in the middle ages (rubbing fat on the armor, the advantages of long-bows, etc.). If you're into Steinbeck, or just into reworkings of the Arthurian legend, check it out!
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I love Steinbeck, he seems to capture the essence of the people in the places and times that he writes about. Another author who does something kinda, sorta similar is Alice Munro (who I discovered by accident after winning one of her books in a contest) - she writes about people in Canada much likeSteinbeck did those of California.

My favorite Steinbeck's are Cannery Row and Tortilla Flats.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
jessicacurry100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicacurry100.html

Post by jessicacurry100 »

I loved of mice and men,but haven't made it to any of his other works. Sounds like I need to get on east of Eden, like now.
KiarraLynn

Post by KiarraLynn »

I have only read "The Pearl" but it was excellent for such a short read.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I think what I admire most about Steinbeck's stories is the way he sees individuals, all individuals, as noble, striving to make their way, hampered by groups of people. So much of his writing is that. He loves individuals. He doesn't seem fond of people in groups.

I can't really say which of his novels is my favorite; probably whichever one I read most recently. I've probably read 3/4 of his books over the years, most of them several times. I'm sure I've read "Of Mice and Men" more than the others, possibly more than all the others put together, so maybe it's my favorite.

Gloomy? How is that a criticism? Ravel's "Pavane for a Dead Princess", one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard, is gloomy. I can never get enough of it.

We die! That's how life is! Steinbeck writes about who we are and who we become and who we want to become before we die. And he gets it right so much of the time. He finds things in people that most of us never think to look for and I think reading his books gives us insights into others and makes us better than we were. I guess by that measure I'm about 3/4 good. :)

Another writer who does this, although in very different ways, is Nevil Shute. He also writes about ordinary people caught in extraordinary circumstances and finding the hero in themselves, never really realizing they're doing that. Fans of Steinbeck might enjoy his books as well.

Barry
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I have read The Pearl years ago but it seems I need to reread it again. :D
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

BarryEM wrote:I think what I admire most about Steinbeck's stories is the way he sees individuals, all individuals, as noble, striving to make their way, hampered by groups of people. So much of his writing is that. He loves individuals. He doesn't seem fond of people in groups.

I can't really say which of his novels is my favorite; probably whichever one I read most recently. I've probably read 3/4 of his books over the years, most of them several times. I'm sure I've read "Of Mice and Men" more than the others, possibly more than all the others put together, so maybe it's my favorite.

Gloomy? How is that a criticism? Ravel's "Pavane for a Dead Princess", one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard, is gloomy. I can never get enough of it.

We die! That's how life is! Steinbeck writes about who we are and who we become and who we want to become before we die. And he gets it right so much of the time. He finds things in people that most of us never think to look for and I think reading his books gives us insights into others and makes us better than we were. I guess by that measure I'm about 3/4 good. :)

Another writer who does this, although in very different ways, is Nevil Shute. He also writes about ordinary people caught in extraordinary circumstances and finding the hero in themselves, never really realizing they're doing that. Fans of Steinbeck might enjoy his books as well.

Barry
Very good post. I enjoyed reading it and agree with your assessments. I am also very fond of the Pavane.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck was one of my favorites. The story itself is meaningful and the lessons learned from the story can be put to use in many modern day issues. Great plot and character creation. The story delves into many troubles often disputed. Overall it is very well written and and thoughtful read.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Classic Books”