Steinbeck, anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BobGrant
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Steinbeck, anyone?

Post by BobGrant »

anomalocaris wrote:Never was a fan of Steinbeck. His characters were always so unappealing, and Of Mice and Men is just creepy. At the end of his life he began to redeem himself with The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, but then he went and died without finishing it. Inconsiderate of him, wasn't it?
I laughed when I read your post anomalocaris. Yes I suppose it was a bit inconsiderate of him to do that.. I have wondered why the schools make the children read Of Mice and Men. When I read it I didn't think much either and I thought it was just my preference.. glad to see others are of the same opinion.
dominiccalvin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominiccalvin.html

Post by dominiccalvin »

The first time I read Steinbeck was when I was in college. It was a short story called 'The Chrysanthemums'. A brief but powerful story with vivid prose and multiple layers of signification. Was hooked on to it! Almost 7 years later read 'Of Mice and Men' and was truly able to appreciate Steinbeck as a storyteller. Haven't read much of American fiction or even literature for that matter but Hemingway and Steinbeck rank right up there!
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

PashaRu wrote:Who loves Steinbeck? What's your favorite?

I read Of Mice and Men many years ago, and wasn't terribly impressed. Didn't read Steinbeck for years afterward. Then I read The Grapes of Wrath. Loved it. That inspired to me read East of Eden. I had seen the film with James Dean, but never read the book.

The film is actually only a section of the book (as is often the case). East of Eden is easily one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's incredibly well written, and the main antagonist is one of the most disturbing and fascinating characters you'll encounter in American literature. It's a book that stays with you after you've finished reading it. You won't soon forget it.
When was Mice of Men written?
cduggins17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cduggins17.html

Post by cduggins17 »

Steinbeck seems to get mixed reviews. Unfortunately, I have not been required to read any of his work for school, which seems surprising. However, it seems like I'm going to have to give East of Eden a shot on my own. I've always been intrigued by Of Mice and Men, would anybody be willing to share a basic synopsis sans spoilers?
Aaronerom

Post by Aaronerom »

I read Of Mice and Men some years ago and I must say it was one of my favorite books that I read in high school. Though there was not much depth to the book I found the characters to be relatable. The con who is the brains and the dim wit who is the loveable muscle. It showed the true american experience during that era and gave its readers a view into a world that was well explained and showed how cruel it can be.
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

I've only read Of Mice and Men, I didn't really like it though.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I have to say that I personally loved 'Of Mice and Men' too when I studied it for class. It has a special place in my heart.

Have yet to read any more of his works though!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

DlVERGENT wrote:I've only read Of Mice and Men, I didn't really like it though.
I felt the same way about Of Mice and Men. Years later I read The Grapes of Wrath and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I read East of Eden, which is an amazing piece of work. One of my favorite novels, actually.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
DlVERGENT

Post by DlVERGENT »

PashaRu wrote:
I felt the same way about Of Mice and Men. Years later I read The Grapes of Wrath and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I read East of Eden, which is an amazing piece of work. One of my favorite novels, actually.
I heard about East of Eden but I never read it, I watched the movie though, is it worth reading?
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html

Post by CloudedRune »

'East of Eden' has been recommended to me a few times by friends, I'm quite curious about it and might have to read it at some point too.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

DlVERGENT wrote:
PashaRu wrote:
I heard about East of Eden but I never read it, I watched the movie though, is it worth reading?
Absolutely! The movie is good, but (as usual) omits large potions of the book. You get an entirely different feel for the characters in the book, and the story has a completeness to it that doesn't come through in the movie.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
DlVERGENT

Post by DlVERGENT »

PashaRu wrote:
DlVERGENT wrote:
PashaRu wrote: I felt the same way about Of Mice and Men. Years later I read The Grapes of Wrath and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I read East of Eden, which is an amazing piece of work. One of my favorite novels, actually.
Absolutely! The movie is good, but (as usual) omits large potions of the book. You get an entirely different feel for the characters in the book, and the story has a completeness to it that doesn't come through in the movie.
I'll definitely give it a try then, thank you! :wink:
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I read The Pearl back in seventh grade and was just about the only person who liked it. Five years later, I read East of Eden, and it quickly became my favorite book, which is rather impressive, since I was going through a crisis of faith. To anyone who's on the fence about reading it, I would definitely recommend it. It's certainly worthwhile.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
nannyluvscmu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nannyluvscmu.html

Post by nannyluvscmu »

I've only read EAST OF EDEN, but I absolutely loved it. So if the rest of his books are similar, I'm definitely looking forward to checking them out.
bookworm_Heather02

Post by bookworm_Heather02 »

I read Of Mice and Men in high school and enjoyed it. A few days ago I picked up a copy of The Grapes of Wrath and am about halfway through it. So far it feels bleak, as if they're just going through the motions of day to day life with nothing in particular to look forward to. I do love the relationships the characters have with each other and the roles each person fills in the family. They don't have much along the lines of money or possessions, but they have each other and seem to function at this point as one symbiotic unit. I can't wait to see if they go to California and what waits for them there. Also, I think the ideas about big business are very relevant in today's society. These giant, faceless entities who own the lands versus the individuals who work the land is still, to some degree, an ongoing struggle.

Return to “Classic Books”