Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OvErBookeD
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-overbooked.html
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
Reading Device: B00G2Y5YIG

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by OvErBookeD »

Davidbowman2001 wrote: but it is here where I get to the difference when some major work is "classic" or "famous" and then it becoming "too famous." By this Romeo and Juliet is a perfect example: by the time I had actually got to reading the play (9th grade), it was basically a "been there, done that" kind of experience. Which, to me, is really disappointing.
I think one of the largest issues is that classics become unrelatable to many people in modern times, so then they are re-told and reworked to the point of perversion and we lose the appreciation for the original telling.
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
hkenney1
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkenney1.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by hkenney1 »

I would recommend "Romeo and Juliet" to all who love to read. The book is riddled with symbolism and has a sophisticated tone. The ideals of marriage at the time give perspective as to how much has changed and what is accepted in our society today, as opposed to then. The sacrifice and intense emotionally pieces work to invoke feelings that are not standard in today's society.

-- 23 Jun 2015, 14:00 --
[pageturner]
Currently Reading: In Cold Blood
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageturner.html

Post by [pageturner] »

To be honest, I have never been the biggest fan of Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet being my least favorite of what I have read. Although Shakespeare does give Juliet agency, she is not a strong female character in the slightest. Romeo seems weak to me too honestly. This could also be because I am not a fan of romance in the slightest. They just always seem to be so unrealistic to me, and this one exemplifies that. Yes, it is a tragedy. I guess what can be learned from it is that love is better appreciated and valued with maturity and strenth.
David Bowman
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Ulysses</a>
Currently Reading: Echo
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-bowman.html
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by David Bowman »

OvErBookeD wrote: I think one of the largest issues is that classics become unrelatable to many people in modern times, so then they are re-told and reworked to the point of perversion and we lose the appreciation for the original telling.

Exactly. Works like this are remade to the point of death that I wouldn't be very surprised if someone didn't have the appreciation for the original work. Things like this can hurt the original and people should try to avoid this at all costs. Or, on the other hand, try to embrace the original and forget about the previous reworkings. It might help, if only just a little.
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
Emmmm41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmmm41 »

Romeo and Juliet wasn't exactly one of my favorite Shakespeare books. Mine is Hamlet. Romeo and Juliet wasn't my favorite because I just couldn't stand Romeo. He was too whiny. I know that probably sounds stupid, but he was always complaining! And, he jumped from one girl to the next. One minute he's talking about how no one can compare to Rosaline, but once he sees Juliet he is completely in love? I don't think so!

-- 10 Jul 2015, 16:58 --

Romeo and Juliet wasn't exactly one of my favorite Shakespeare books. Mine is Hamlet. Romeo and Juliet wasn't my favorite because I just couldn't stand Romeo. He was too whiny. I know that probably sounds stupid, but he was always complaining! And, he jumped from one girl to the next. One minute he's talking about how no one can compare to Rosaline, but once he sees Juliet he is completely in love? I don't think so!
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

I loved Romeo and Juliet. I have read it several times, and can't get enough of it. Nor can I any of Shakespeare'a other works.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I recently heard a good point made:

Romeo and Juliet is a story about 13 to 14 year old teenagers because that's the only time in life that you feel that strongly about something. When you're young, even the smallest things seem huge.

I used to hate Romeo and Juliet, and now I just treat it like a children's book: something written for a specific audience, meant for that audience.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
MaryLisboa
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Eragon</a>
Currently Reading: Evil Under the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylisboa.html
Reading Device: B00CFV45KS
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by MaryLisboa »

Yes, their love story is ridiculous and yes it is still lovely. Three days is not enough to die for love, but their faith, yes faith, is what make this work. They don't care if is a three-day romance, or if is against their family's wishes. They just want to be together. Both are reckless, in love and naive. The pureness of their love always melt my heart.
aelinrowan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelinrowan.html

Post by aelinrowan »

I've always had mixed emotions about Romeo and Juliet. I love the story and it's a good one, but certain parts of it have always made me cringe, just because times have certainly changed, but also, they haven't. It can be a very conflicting read.
KReading
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreading.html

Post by KReading »

hkenney1 wrote:I would recommend "Romeo and Juliet" to all who love to read. The book is riddled with symbolism and has a sophisticated tone. The ideals of marriage at the time give perspective as to how much has changed and what is accepted in our society today, as opposed to then. The sacrifice and intense emotionally pieces work to invoke feelings that are not standard in today's society.

-- 23 Jun 2015, 14:00 --

I agree with the idea of symbolism and the tone of it all. What I couldn't understand was why the two families didn't marry their respective children to each other. Wasn't that how they resolved conflicts back then? I also wished everyone didn't rush into every thing.
Montreal

Post by Montreal »

This Shakespearean play can be seen from two perspectives.Some readers will find it a sanction to the world of romanticism they are deprived of in our present time.Accordingly, they plunge deeply into an imaginary world where they attempt to fulfill this dream .Other readers would find the play boring and has nothing to our real world.The incidents of the play would not draw their attention and may consider it as silly.
Therefore, the question of appreciation and depreciation depends on how the readers would receive it.
brooke ashley

Post by brooke ashley »

I'm actually not a huge fan of romeo and juliet, I feel like the story is just too unrealistic with the events occurring so quickly. Although, I assume this is what most people like about it, it just wasn't for me. I've just never been a fan of dramatics. Good story, just not my taste. :)
10millionFireflies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10millionfireflies.html

Post by 10millionFireflies »

My daughter is starting to read this in her 9th grade English class, tonight she had to write the prologue in her own words. While it is a good story it was never my favorite. I remember reading this when I was a high school freshman and I hated how everyone focused on the love story and how romantic it was. I remember arguing that Romeo and Juliet were barely teenagers and they were not in love they were infatuated and because they did not think things through many people died including themselves and ultimately ended the family feud because the families were too busy mourning their deaths. My daughter pointed out to me that it was the original "Twilight", which when you think about it, it fits pretty well.
teameg99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teameg99.html

Post by teameg99 »

I have never been a huge fan of this one. Why all the drama? Why kill yourselves? You've known each other for five days. I get that the two thought they loved each other and all that, but I think that they were just way too young to even understand what love was. They each saw something forbidden and went for it. If I skip over the actual story and look at the writing, well, Shakespeare has never been one of my favorites either. It seems like most of his best pieces of work ended up with some completely horrible ending, like Macbeth. Call me unrealistic, but I want the fairy tale.
Yafa1822
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yafa1822.html
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Post by Yafa1822 »

I read the play but it wasn't until a few months ago that I realized how bawdy Shakespeare actually made it.
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Return to “Classic Books”