Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabbycalametti4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbycalametti4.html

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by gabbycalametti4 »

I thought the language was a little hard to understand at first. I think the message from this book is pretty relevant and good. But overall, my experience reading this was mixed. I like romance books, but meeting and falling in love so fast irritated me a little. But the love they express for each other was enjoyable. I also thought it was a tad bit over dramatic with some scenes. It was an ok book in my opinion. :|
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I'm one of those old style romantic suckers who thinks "Romeo and Juliet" was one of the best things ever to happen to literature. I have the Franco Zefirelli film version of it and an unabridged edition of the complete works of Shakespeare. I know a lot of people down it for one or another reason, but I think it's an exquisite work. Some of the most beautiful words Shakespeare ever wrote, though, were contained in "Othello." I love that play. I love the opera Verdi based on it, too. Powerful stuff. Tchaikovsky, Gounod, Bellini, and Prokofiev wrote music based on "Romeo and Juiliet." Prokofiev's ballet score and Bellini's opera, which has its roots in the work from which Shakespeare drew his themes, are my favorites. Yes, I'm a BIG fan of the woeful story of Juliet and her Romeo. :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Romeo and Juliet is among one of my favorites. I can understand the animosity though. I worked with 13 and 14 year olds and so many of them would read the play in school and come to me saying that their boyfriend and them just like Romeo and Juliet. I'd point out the ending, their reply was that that's the best part! It's to romantic. It kind of scared me to think these little kids thought that was the best they could strive for!
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

The romance, itself, is playful and vibrant. I like that. :wink: There's death at the end because a bard must go for intensity at some point. That's also why we have opera. :mrgreen:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Platonov

Post by Platonov »

The greatest expression of the subversive, mad & risky truth of love. Well worth considering in an age of computerised dating based on ticking off the traits and predicated on the utterly banal premise of "falling in love without the fall."
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Grazi, amico, grazi.

-Edgar Allan Poe
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

Romeo & Juliet ranks as one of my favorites of Shakespeare. I enjoy the play in writing as well as the film. I studied many of Shakespeare's work in English class throughout high-school including Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Some I read for my own personal interest. It's a master piece of a love story in my opinion.
jdheevee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdheevee.html

Post by jdheevee »

Romeo and Juliet are one of the two books I have read by Shakespeare. I enjoyed the drama of Romeo and Juliet along with its interesting characters and double entendre humor.
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Post by darkandstormyknight »

Romeo and Juliet was really the first play that I was exposed to by the Bard. In middle school I was in "Romeo and Juliet: Together (and Alive!) at Last" which was really about a bunch of kids putting on Romeo and Juliet to get two of their friends together. It was funny, then I read the actual play in high school. And that got me really into Shakespeare.
cduggins17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cduggins17.html

Post by cduggins17 »

Unfortunately it seems that school requirements have ruined Romeo & Juliet for most readers. Many have made the comment that it doesn't have the depth of Shakespeare's other plays, which is true. It is due to this lack of depth that makes it a perfect introduction to classic literature and Shakespearean language though. It isn't too complex to go over students' heads and has many themes high school students can relate to. Personally I love Romeo & Juliet and see something different in it every time I read it.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

While I do believe that some of the other plays have better stories, I can't deny that Romeo and Juliet has some of the best language I've ever read. When the two of them meet, their lines form a sonnet, and some of Juliet's soliloquys are so beautiful that I just want to say them aloud to feel the language across my tongue.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
ctestroote

Post by ctestroote »

"I detest a story about a three day romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old."

Consider that the book was written in the late 1500's. People lived to be 40 so marriage was at a young age. If the book were written today, it would probably be between a 26 year old and a 30 year old. If you take away their age and just think about how this story is about two people so much in love that they were willing to do anything for it, it makes it very romantic. Not very realistic however people read most books to be swept away in a fantasy that their real life cannot bring them.
Civil409
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-civil409.html

Post by Civil409 »

A couple months ago. Last year we read romeo and Juliet and also we watched 2 different movie versions. I would say that I'm not really a big fan of romeo and Juliet, to me I think that their are a couple of kids that makes really bad choices when it comes to love. Even though I know how the story ended I was still hoping for a happy ending.
Krystagbelen
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystagbelen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Krystagbelen »

I also read it! I thought it was a great Shakespearean tragedy. It still is one of my favorites. i'm currently reading Hamlet by Shakespeare and i would highly recommend it if you enjoyed Romeo and Juliet.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

Not exactly my favorite work of Shakespeare, but how he managed to make a three day love story between two teenagers beautiful and well-loved classic, i don't know. Then again, this is Shakespeare we're talking about.

Return to “Classic Books”