Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I love Flowers in the Attic and Petals on the Wind. After that point in the series, it goes downhill.

I read both at the age of twelve. I "borrowed" them from my grandmother, and when I confessed she said I may as well have just asked. ;-) They provided such an atmosphere in my mind, so vivid and disturbing. I always felt like I was right there, in the attic, and in their hotel-style bedroom below the attic. I actually would recommend these books to twelve-year-olds, as weird as that sounds. (Albeit there are no twelve-year-olds in my family to recommend these books to...) I think they're fine because kids that age need to learn about deep emotions, and these books even provide an outlet for said emotions, somehow. I have reread both of them many times, although not recently. The author is amazingly good at capturing emotion and creating a scene and creating an environment. In my mind, I always hear Pavane by Gabriel Faure when Catherine dances in the attic. VC Andrews has been one of my major influences as a writer.

The movies are horrible. They don't capture that emotional content. They just make it factual. (I don't recall the original movie very well, so I'm mainly referring to the recent Lifetime one.) It's the emotional content that needs to be captured--how loyal they were to each other, the passion behind Catherine's dancing, etc. I know the book goes kind of taboo with Catherine and Christopher, but in the circumstances it makes sense. What other author could even come close to pulling that off?
kimcormack
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2960">Wild Thing</a>
Currently Reading: Sweet Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimcormack.html

Post by kimcormack »

I read almost the whole series as a teenager lol
girl_of_1000_lives
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by girl_of_1000_lives »

The first time I read these books was when I was 11 or 12 and I was just in love with them. I can agree that the storyline is pretty twisted, but it was written so beautifully, I would just go back again and again to read it once more,
kimcormack
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2960">Wild Thing</a>
Currently Reading: Sweet Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimcormack.html

Post by kimcormack »

I love this series :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I want to read these books, but I'm afraid that I might be too freaked out by them. That kind of stuff (child abuse) really upsets me, but I've heard so much about these novels that I'm intensely curious to read them. Maybe I'll give Flowers in the Attic a chance, but if it upsets me too much, I won't read any of the sequels.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

I enjoyed these books but was creeped and grossed out the entire time reading them. I do like the writing style though.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I have read the entire series including Garden of Shadows, the prequel to the series writen in Olivia's view of her life before the Dresden Dolls came. I like the Flowers in the Attic series and have read every book twice but I can understand people who don't like the graphicness of the novels and the morally unacceptable things being done but if you ignore all that, the series is actually quite spectacular. I wouldn't recommend the books for children or immature adults but it really is a good series that describes all the evils of the world and how things can really affects children, psychologically, physically, and spiritually.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I want to read these books, but I'm afraid that I might be too freaked out by them. That kind of stuff (child abuse) really upsets me, but I've heard so much about these novels that I'm intensely curious to read them. Maybe I'll give Flowers in the Attic a chance, but if it upsets me too much, I won't read any of the sequels.
I don't know if you should... I really think you have to be twelve or so to enjoy them. Because, indeed, by the time you're an adult, you know how wrong it all is. To me it's one of those books that has to line up with the age of the reader. I could read it and enjoy it, but I've read it before--I know what happens.

Hey, your son's almost old enough to read it! (Just kidding. It's more of a girl story anyway!!)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:I want to read these books, but I'm afraid that I might be too freaked out by them. That kind of stuff (child abuse) really upsets me, but I've heard so much about these novels that I'm intensely curious to read them. Maybe I'll give Flowers in the Attic a chance, but if it upsets me too much, I won't read any of the sequels.
I don't know if you should... I really think you have to be twelve or so to enjoy them. Because, indeed, by the time you're an adult, you know how wrong it all is. To me it's one of those books that has to line up with the age of the reader. I could read it and enjoy it, but I've read it before--I know what happens.

Hey, your son's almost old enough to read it! (Just kidding. It's more of a girl story anyway!!)
Perhaps you are right--there were a few books and movies that I read/watched at that age that were pretty graphic, but because I was so naïve I didn't understand how creepy they were! They didn't upset me back then, but I cringe thinking about them now!

Not sure that my son would go for Flowers in the Attic. He tends to gravitate toward books that he thinks will make him laugh, and I don't think that this one meets his standards! :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA HA HA HA!! Yeah, one thing that Flowers in the Attic is NOT is humorous. Never a funny moment!!

-- July 13th, 2015, 3:08 pm --

Oh, hey! Livre, if you want a book that kinda has those qualities I mentioned, but without the horror factor, you should try Boy's Life by Robert R McCammon. :-)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:HA HA HA HA HA HA!! Yeah, one thing that Flowers in the Attic is NOT is humorous. Never a funny moment!!

-- July 13th, 2015, 3:08 pm --

Oh, hey! Livre, if you want a book that kinda has those qualities I mentioned, but without the horror factor, you should try Boy's Life by Robert R McCammon. :-)

Yes, I read Boy's Life years ago and absolutely loved it! I was recently considering buying a copy for my son to read. I just have to find a way to make him think that it's his idea to get it :D
tollyfaye24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tollyfaye24 »

I feel like I should go back and reread them. It is so fun to read interesting conversations about books. I read them as a teenager and was traumatized, and they have always stuck with me. But it is sad how young people wouldn't even be shocked anymore. What does that say about society? I watched the movies and enjoyed them. I think I will have to re-read them and see how it progresses. Those books and John Saul scared me so much as a teenager!
CharlotteHolmes
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotteholmes.html

Post by CharlotteHolmes »

I loved these books. I read the whole series when I was younger. I actually was exposed to them through my mother, seeing as she had an "open bookshelf" policy haha If I was old enough to ask about them, I was old enough to read them. It didn't really scare me, or anything like that, but it always gave me this sense of loneliness I couldn't shake for days afterward. The isolation of the children and the cruelty of a situation they couldn't control always struck me deeply. Great books though, and I read the whole series to really understand the motives and full scope of every character's actions.
shemob
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shemob »

I found these books to be disturbing and hard to get through but I give props to V.C.Andrews for being able to draw you into the book.
Mfisch
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mfisch.html

Post by Mfisch »

I read these books in high school, having to buy them in secret at the bookstore, and hide them from my mom and from my teachers. I understood why they wanted to hide me from those books - they are not something for young adults. I still own the books, but I would never re-read or pass along to anyone else. They were wonderfully written, the way that VC Andrews sucks you in, but more than anything I think it opened my eyes to a world that I never knew could exists. A world that I did not want to know did exist ever, especially that young. However, it did make me realize that not everyone has it easy, and not everyone is allowed to have the same life experiences as us. It may have been a work of fiction, but after reading, I started seeing the news stories of children being abused, or women and families being locked in cellars. I am still not sure if I am happy to have had that experience so young, or not.

Return to “Classic Books”