Manon by Abbe Prevost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
doccaroline123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Manon by Abbe Prevost

Post by doccaroline123 »

Had this book from my 19 year old son for a Christmas present. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit different from the usual type of books I read, but I found it a refreshing change. The story, for the most part, is told by the main male character, who is training for the priesthood, but is distracted by the beautiful Manon Lescaut. They have a very on/off relationship, as Manon keeps true to herself and goes with other men to obtain money and gifts, but her lover keeps taking her back, despite them both being imprisoned twice in France and then Manon's transportation to America. Her lover goes with her, but returns to France when Manon dies. I couldn't help feeling sorry for both the young lovers, in spite of all their trials and tribulations.
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

There was also a movie made based on the book - I think it's called Manon of the Spring.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
elena-09
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elena-09 »

I am currently reading this book so I have not finished it yet. I keep getting annoyed by the behaviour of the main characters (Manon and des Grieux). They are so naive and childish. It is as if they where asking for trouble and punishment (which they get) but I still can not feel sorry for their fate. They keep having luck in finding their means for living but they keep wasting them. They seem to be entitled and not really grateful for what they have. But at the end of the day, I think that most of the people in their social position at the time the book is set, may have been the same.

Return to “Classic Books”