Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Post by Meg0169 »

Mrs. Dalloway is one of my favorite books of all time. It is the story of life in a day. On the outside, it seems superficial in following a woman who is preparing to host a party. However, as you keep reading, you travel through her memories and her thoughts and realize that, though she presents herself in one way, her life is quite different from what it seems. You are introduced to characters from her past and present, and in the end of the story, they all attend the party and you view them as they are compared to Clarissa's memory. There are so many themes in this book, from mental illness to feminism, and each tugs at you in a way you thought impossible due to the fact that the book takes place in a day. That is the magic of Virginia Woolf. She has taken something so simple and made you look deeper than the everyday appearances.

What does everyone else think of this book?
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
terrametoo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrametoo.html

Post by terrametoo »

I haven't read this one, but you've described it so well that I'll read it next. I've just started The Voyage Out though, which I believe is one of her first novels.
InconstantMoon
Favorite Author: Meg Cabot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inconstantmoon.html
fav_author_id: 2593

Post by InconstantMoon »

I read Mrs. Dalloway for a Lit class a few months ago, and I must admit, I hated it. I can see the appeal to some people, but when it comes to classics, I think you either have to love them or hate them. I thought the storyline was great, but Virginia Woolf's writing is so complex and so full that it's hard to keep up. I'm so glad you liked it, and the professor that I took the class with (an Austen scholar and now a dear friend) really loves this book.
amqzong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amqzong.html

Post by amqzong »

I'm on page 12 right now and debating whether or not to continue with it...
Ugh, the language is just sprawling everywhere and I have this horrible feeling that this is going to be one of those books where descriptions of inanimate objects take 10 pages and the real action happens in 1 sentence.
Is it worth it to keep on going? :/ Does the plot pick up soon?
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

Wonderful book, couldn't put it down.
Romashka

Post by Romashka »

I've just finished the book. I found it ... interesting. That's definitely not my kind of literature but it is still worth reading. The author creates a "flow of consciousness" - writes everything that passes through characters' minds, quite original.
kgarms

Post by kgarms »

This was my first "stream of consciousness" read. It was frustrating at the time because I like order, but I found myself thinking about the book for several days after I finished it, so it definitely stuck with me.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

This is a wonderful novel. The way she pulls all of the characters together is truly brilliant. Reading the novel is like holding the world in your hand and it's very clear that you're dealing with an incredibly talented writer. Woolf was a member of the Bloomsbury Group, so it's not surprising that her work is complex and innovative, with a lot of them being influenced by Impressionism and the developing field of psychoanalysis. Because of its complexity, it's wonderfully insightful and a great portrait of human desire. Woolf is truly great.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

This book was the first of its kind that I had read and though I did not immediately start enjoying it, the more I understood, I started to appreciate it and the book is definitely thought provoking. Of course, Ms. Woolf is an amazing author, so the book is really well written and definitely worth a read.
LunarLucy

Post by LunarLucy »

I didn't enjoy it the first time I read it, as I didn't know what to expect and found myself thrown by suddenly hearing the thoughts of a random woman on a park bench or a passing man, I prefer order with the POVs. However, when I read it again with more of a view to walking into a world rather than just following a story, knowing what to expect, and not trying to read it on public transport with noisy distractions, I liked it a whole lot more.
BookieCookie

Post by BookieCookie »

I loved this book too, haven't read any other Woolf yet, but definately will based on how much I enjoyed this book.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

A new drama on BBC Two called Lives in Squares started this week. It`s based on Bloomsbury Circle and, from what I saw from the first episode, is also about the relationship between two Stephens` sisters, Virginia and Vanessa.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I had to read this book in a lit class and didn't enjoy it at all. It could possibly be because of the professor, unfortunately she seemed to make even the most interesting topic seem kind of dull. You make it sound so good, maybe I need to go back and re-read it.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I agree with your synopsis of this book. It has many layers and at the surface seems petty. But after you peel back the layers, you find a deeply sad woman going through the motions of life. The party is a front to make Mrs. D. seem happy and lighthearted.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

This sounds like a flash fiction you find in a magazine now a days. Thank you for the description.

Return to “Classic Books”