Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have a good 20 classics on my list of Books to read and to kick it off, I started with Of Mice and Men and this book was really a good first book to start off with and I am so glad I read it. It was short but there was so much dramatic irony and symbolism entwined in the story. It was really a good book. What does everybody else think?
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

Of Mice and Men is one of my favorite books, especially of John Steinbeck's. I had to read it for an English class when I was in high school and I instantly fell in love. We also watched the movie, which made me cry just as hard as the book did. There is so much put into that book and by the end you're just in pieces. I highly recommend this book as it was much better than the Grapes of Wrath.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Hmm. I didn't know there was a movie, I will have to see it. I am planning on buying the book and starting a classics collection for those days that I want to read something really good. ;)
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html

Post by Meg0169 »

That's what I did. I tend to rent books from the library and if I thoroughly enjoy it, I buy it and add it to my ever growing bookshelf. That way I can go back and re-read my favorites. Barnes and Noble tends to have cheap editions of classic books if you really want to add to your collection.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Okay, thank you! I will have to keep that in mind!
Lozalot4890
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lozalot4890.html

Post by Lozalot4890 »

I absolutely loved this book. I was introduced to it in high school and I read it over and over. Definitely a book I would recommend to others to read :).
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

I studied this book during my last year of secondary school. It was a great book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone as well as the film. Although, when I turned the first page someone had written "George Shoots Lenny" on the inside cover. This didn't ruin it for me however, which is a great thing because it was such a good read with lots of motifs which were quite interesting once you thought about them in more depth. Great story, tempted to re-read it.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

The George shoots Lenny at the beginning while it wouldn't have ruined the story per say I still would have felt robbed though. Haha. It is a book I would definitely reread. I love books that give you something to think about and this book was perfect for that.
[Kaytlen]
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Murphys Law
Currently Reading: Judes Law
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaytlen.html
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by [Kaytlen] »

Of Mice and Men is a definite must read. I've read it multiple times and every time I see something else in it that makes me think. I think the most controversial part of that whole book is when George shoots Lenny. That one scene makes the whole book worthwhile. There are multiple lessons in the book for readers, but that one incorporates family dynamics, social construct, and morality.
JRicouard
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jricouard.html

Post by JRicouard »

I am going to be the total oddball here, but when I read "Of Mice and Men" when I was about 16 years old I could not stand it. I am a reader and this was one of those books that I had to push myself through. I have pledged that I will reread it at some point since it is such a classic but I found it so dull at that age I can not get myself to even go to the library and borrow it! Your posts are giving me hope that it is not as awful as I remember but I still feel very cautions about it.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I just reread this book after not reading it for a long time! I had forgotten how easy it was to read - great way to get back into reading the classics.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
lizzy19680

Post by lizzy19680 »

I thought this book was absolutely amazing! My son had it to read in grade 7 and brought it home for me to read. I found it dramatic. It was well written I feel and takes the reader through several emotions. It‘s a storyline I didn‘t expect and I think that‘s what kept me drawn to it. I just found out today, a few years after reading it that there is a movie, which I watched. I found the movie to be okay but the book better, as the way I envisioned the events while reading were better to me than what I saw in the movie. I will definitely read it again!
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

I read this book in English in the 7th grade. Great read. very emotional and deep.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

i read it recently and i loved it. After reading it I added more Steinbeck's book in my reading list.
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I read Of Mice and Men when I was in high school. I really enjoyed reading it, although many of the students from the English class I was in, were complaining about it. I for one, think it is a must read classic and certainly one that can be easily read and re-read.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Return to “Classic Books”