Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Irakli111
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Post by Irakli111 »

I am reading it right now. I would say that it is interesting enough. Style and pace of story is characteristic for the time. Using compilation of notebooks, newspaper pieces and alternating points of view within different characters during the narration, makes it more emotional and intimate. Though, cause of old style language and somewhat slow pace, emotional degree of reception drops.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

I read it years ago and it's still in my mind.
It was my first book about vampires and to me, it settles the myth.
When I read it, the letters about this weird man at a psychiatric hospital were very spine chilling.
I highly recommend it for everybody!
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
kitty229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitty229.html

Post by kitty229 »

Dracula was a real goosebumps experience. When I first read it years ago, it had sent my mind reeling in disturbance of the whole threatening experience throughout the novel. I read it again a year ago and felt the same again. Bram Stoker did a really fantastic job with the whole dracula concept
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

This book was really suspenseful and chilling. It is definitely not anything like the vampire novels coming out today. It can be a slow and tedious read but ultimately worth it.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I recently finished reading Dracula and I must say it is a very thrilling novel to read. I really enjoyed how the point of view in which it is written, changed between characters and between forms of writing, such as newspaper clippings, letters, and diary entries. Also, the characters were very interesting for me. Mina is portrayed as a strong, intelligent woman, which is very different from how women were portrayed at that time. Moreover, Dracula is given the full villain persona. He is demon like in manner and even his physical features are creepy, to say the least. This for me is a great contrast to how vampires are portrayed today, or even how Dracula has been portrayed, in movies and such. I feel this book really kept to the villainous and scary side of vampires, instead of the romanticized versions we have today.
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Post by darkandstormyknight »

I read this a few years ago, it's amazing how vampires have transformed from Dracula to the Twilight series! Also "Hark! A Vagrant!" this online comic series thing has some really good ones on Dracula. Also I read somewhere that Dracula is the most portrayed literary character in film and TV, which is pretty interesting (Sherlock Holmes being the most portrayed human character).
I thought it showed Victorian virtues and restrictions really well, don't be sexual or vampires will get you, thanks Bram buddy.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

Keeping to the Dracula topic, is anyone going to see or has seen the movie Dracula Untold? It just came out this past Friday and I'm really excited to go see it. From the looks of the previews, it seems to be very interesting. :D
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
abbierakes
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbierakes.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by abbierakes »

I absolutely loved Dracula. Yes, it took a long time for me to read it, but the story was intense! The manner in which it was written made it feel more realistic and it also gave me respect for Stoker. It had to be very difficult to write an entire book that was supposed to seem like separate newspaper clippings and journal entries. I had already seen several movies about Van Helsing and vampires by the time I read this book, and it was nice to kind of see where it all started. I never would have expected Dracula to be an portrayed as an older man with a mustache. Oh how modern society has skewed classic horror! Anyway, it was well worth the time that it took to read the book.
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

Dracula, now THAT is a vampire novel! I read this book first at 18 and despite a few creepy parts (Especially the part where dracula's wives find Johnathan asleep, gives me shivers just thinking about it,) it really was a wonderful classic book which I would recommend to anyone who likes horror things or reading.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think the book is a good example of of classic literature in the horror genre, and it does send shivers down the spine during some scenes, however, I feel the climax could have been executed better. I do feel that it makes some so-called books about vampires, like Twilight, seem silly next to it.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Dracula, what a classic!
I will have to steal my husband that book sometime again.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Little Nighten Owl
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-nighten-owl.html

Post by Little Nighten Owl »

Dracula by Bram Stoker is my absolute favorite book. It is a fantastic tale that follows Jonathan Harker at the start and slowly unfolds to reveal the view points of several other characters including the vampire Dracula. This story shows how the classic vampire is suppose to be, a blood sucking, killing, manipulative, creeping beast. You really get to see how the vampire view has evolved from this story to others if you read lots of vampire literature. This book was amazing and I found that it was best to read at night before I slept. I would only recommend that though if you are not faint of heart.
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Dracula is a true classic. very well written, unlike more modern and inferior vampire books.
The 1930's movies with Boris Karloff are arguably the greatest dracula movies, lot of suspense,very atmospheric and they didn't have to resort to over the top blood scenes,like today
katiekat08
Currently Reading: Bloodletting
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiekat08.html

Post by katiekat08 »

I read Dracula about 8 or 9 years ago as a middle schooler. It was one of the most difficult books for me to get through, but I found that it really stuck with me. It's nothing like the modern vampire stories that authors have been coming out with lately. I really enjoyed the mystery of Dracula.
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Dracula is a true masterpiece. No other vampire book comes anywhere near it. Twilight series is my opinion, is complete trash

Return to “Classic Books”