Books about Soviet, Chinese, or North Korean gulags.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DanBR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books about Soviet, Chinese, or North Korean gulags.

Post by DanBR »

Does anyone know of any good fiction books out there that are set in a forced labor camp of the kind that existed/exists in Communist countries? There are plenty of fiction books about German concentration camps (my favorite is Styron's Sophie's Choice), but none that I know of about life in the gulags.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago & One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich come immediately to mind.
A book I read recently is Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall is in part set in a Russian labour camp.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

The Hunger Angel: A Novel
by Herta Muller, Philip Boehm (Translator)

-- 13 Nov 2013, 01:44 --

This, more recent translation, is supposed to be the best and won a prestigious award.
Haven't read it yet, but I surely plan to.
It was nominated by El Greco on here for "Book of the Month".
I will just copy and paste what he copied and pasted:

(German: Atemschaukel) is a novel by German Nobel Prize-winning author Herta Müller, published in 2009 by Carl Hanser Verlag.[1] It is a depiction of the persecution of ethnic Germans in Romania by the Stalinist regime of the Soviet Union, and deals with the deportation of Romanian Germans to Gulag camps by Soviet occupying forces during and after 1945. The novel tells the story of a youth from Hermannstadt (Sibiu) in Siebenbürgen (Transylvania), Leo Auberg, who is deported at the age of 17 to a Soviet forced labor concentration camp in Nowo-Gorlowka (Novogorlovka, Ukraine, now incorporated in Gorlovka) and spends five years of his life there. It is inspired by the experiences of poet Oskar Pastior and other survivors, including the mother of the author.[2] Initially, Pastior and Müller had planned to write a book about his experiences together, however, Pastior died in 2006.[3]

-- 13 Nov 2013, 02:39 --

And then there is Kolyma Tales by Russian author Varlam Shalamov, about labour camp life in the Soviet Union.
I read it years ago as required reading for a Russian Lit class. I remember that I enjoyed reading it a lot though.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

The Hunger Angel looks really interesting. It has a lot of positive reviews too. Darn, another book to add to my never ending "to read" list.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I don't know if they involve the gulags, because I haven't read the books, but there is a mystery series set in North Korea - the first book is A Corpse in the Koryo, and the author is James Church.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
paperleopard
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paperleopard.html

Post by paperleopard »

This one's a young adult book, but I highly recommend it. It's called "Between Shades of Gray." BETWEEN, not FIFTY.
It's about a Lithuanian teenage girl who is sent to the gulags with her family and tries to get contact with her father (and stay alive) while hanging on to her artistic talents. The title comes from a scene in the book where she paints a watercolor in the snow by mixing ash and snow, hence making "shades of gray".
Highly recommend it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago & One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich come immediately to mind.
A book I read recently is Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall is in part set in a Russian labour camp.
Hey, I was going to mention those same two books. Drats .... just for that .... !!!!!!!!!!!!! .... take that ! *LOL*

Totally agree with Fran. Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago is an excellent and all-inclusive, nonfictional account of the workings of the political-penal system during the Stalin era. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, also by Solzhenitsyn, is a fictional story which, as the title implies, involves events which occur over a typical 24 hour period in a gulag prison camp. The Gulag Archipelago is a very long and involved study of the gulag system and the politics of the times; One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is MUCH shorter and presents life in a gulag through the eyes of the inmates, and as Solzhenitsyn experienced events such as this himself, has the ring of authenticity.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Classic Books”