Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Re: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

One of my favourite childhood books. This is also a very well written review. Very, very well done.
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

When I first read the Alice books, I thought they were lightly entertaining but without much substance. After another reading or two, I find them deeper than I had originally thought. Not that this is Finnegan's Wake or anything, but it isn't trying to be, and there is more than first meets the eye.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I have always wanted to read this book. Still cannot believe I have not. But all the lovely comments about me makes me eager more than ever now.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
knave_of_hearts

Post by knave_of_hearts »

It's one of my all time favourites, you just have to look at my username! Although I promise I've never stolen any tarts...
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

This is a classic that every young child should read and every adult should have already read. It's great to read it as an adult also because it helps to rediscover magic and imagination. That is something that many adult books lack and it is important to remember that it is still out there and it's ok to want to feel like a kid again.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
andreas

Post by andreas »

I have just read it. And it is definitely a marvellous tale that twists your mind and makes you look at things in totally different ways that you would have never thought before. It deals with time, physics, magic and reality in such an outstanding way that in some passages you may find yourself literally in wonderland.
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

I used to think Alice in Wonderland was boring stuff until I actually took the time to read it instead of watching the Disney movie. I was incredibly impressed. Even though it was written well over a century ago, it stands as one of hte greatest works of literature in human history. It's not as good as the Book of Five Rings, but it's impressive.
menziesanne

Post by menziesanne »

The book is well written and keeps you trapped in the story I have always loved this book and is a great read for young or young at heart
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I have to be quite honest, I very much disliked this book. I don't blame the writer; he has a wonderful imagination. I simply expected too much after growing up on all the re-tellings. I expected a more developed storyline and plot. When I read it for the first time, I kept waiting for the book to follow a plot instead of going here and there. It gave me a headache, and I got fed up with it. However, I did finish the book, or else I wouldn't allow myself to give a sour opinion. I must say, I expected too much from it: everyone, absolutely everyone talks about how great it is and how it is the best book, and so I was into the hype. It was that, that led me to become so disappointed in the real thing.
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

WinterCandyMints wrote:I have to be quite honest, I very much disliked this book. I don't blame the writer; he has a wonderful imagination. I simply expected too much after growing up on all the re-tellings. I expected a more developed storyline and plot. When I read it for the first time, I kept waiting for the book to follow a plot instead of going here and there. It gave me a headache, and I got fed up with it. However, I did finish the book, or else I wouldn't allow myself to give a sour opinion. I must say, I expected too much from it: everyone, absolutely everyone talks about how great it is and how it is the best book, and so I was into the hype. It was that, that led me to become so disappointed in the real thing.
I agree except i don't think i fell for the hype i simply don't consider this or Through the Looking Glass very good. Nonsense like this tends to do better in poetry than prose in my opinion.

However i have heard that this is suspiciously similar to an earlier work 'Petsetilla's Posy' by Thomas Hood, so i might check that out sometime books.google.ie/books/about/Petsetilla_ ... edir_esc=y .
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I have tried to read this book many times, but for some reason I can never get past the first few pages. For now it is waiting for me on my bookshelf. Some day!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Colorora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorora.html

Post by Colorora »

Alice in wonderland is a book for all ages. When I was only 3 I enjoyed the Disney adaptation of it. When I was 5 my grandmother read it to me, when I was 9 I read the book myself (and quite loved it to add) and to this day I still reread it, if you are a reader and haven't read this you NEED too. You can read it to your children and read it to yourself and you will like it all the same
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I enjoyed reading this book as a child and liked the fact that it gave the reader the scope to be imaginative. The manner in which Caroll crafted all the characters in the book and Alices' adventure in Wonderland, really captured my mind as a child.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is a picture of the mind and a great hook to get children reading. The reason is Carroll takes you into a new world filled with fun and poetry.
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

This was probably one of the most interesting books of my childhood. The story of a child that ran into all sorts of interesting things. Was actually a bit afraid of the queen.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"

Return to “Classic Books”