The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Post by zoedecicco »

I read this only a few months ago, as a 34 year old adult. I hadn't read it when I was younger because we don't study this book at school in the UK. It is very much a part of US literature, and as a fan, I wanted to read it to expand my knowledge.

I loved it! I wonder if the reason I did was because I read it as an adult? I notice a number of people here dislike it, but they read it when they were much younger, and often under educational duress!

I loved the character of Hester, and I saw her as a strong woman the whole time, rather than a victim.

I could read this book over and over. I can see why it is such a classic, and it is a shame it is not fully appreciated by young readers!

Give it a second chance all ye who disliked it!! :)
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
Valrose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valrose.html

Post by Valrose »

I remember reading this book in high school. I am so happy I did. Other than the fascinating historical information and insight [which I may not have appreciated back then!], the lesson I took from the novel that has stayed with me is about the nature of community, specifically that the judgments of a community can be cruel and hypocritical. I admired the brave female character; Hester, she is brave, a thinker and a problem solver.

I look forward to reading this book with my daughter when she turns 15 or sixteen. I know it will serve as a great gateway to a modern day discussion of love, passion, her body, and so much more.
michelleNYclassics
Currently Reading: Reading my way through the classics...

Post by michelleNYclassics »

7ht8th wrote:“ What are some other favorite symbolisms you found riveting throughout the novel?
I found intriguing the symbolic border that seemed to exist with the woods outside of town. It is initially referenced as the locale for superstitious meetings between supposed sinners within the community and sinister forces. A dividing line between good and evil.

And yet for the Reverend Dimsdale and Hester, these woods became almost like a haven, shielding them from the rigid judgments of the community and offering them a brief respite from the weighted penance they bore because of the Puritan strictness. The Reverend temporarily lost the symptoms of his mystery ailment, which plagued him otherwise daily. And Hester, safe within the cover of the woods, was finally, though only momentarily, able to castoff the heavy burden of the Scarlet A. Hawthorne does amazing work in making these woods a character all its own -- one who sees and knows so many secrets, existing in a melancholy manner and ever keeping its stories hidden from all. Within the loyal quietude, and grateful to the isolation within the trees at the border to the township, The Reverend and Hester could grasp a taste of hope and plan for a future together away from the sins of their past and the ceaseless penance they have endured since.

It's unfortunate that, once again outside of this sanctuary, the burdens return tenfold and the karmic-style justice of the strict community steals away the dreams of escaping into a new life.
alyssaemerson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaemerson.html

Post by alyssaemerson »

I read it in high school and didn't mind it. It wasn't my favorite book but manageable nonetheless.

-- 02 Feb 2015, 14:01 --

I read it in high school and didn't mind it. It wasn't my favorite book but manageable nonetheless.
aileighcay
Currently Reading: Stiff the curious life of human cadavers
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by aileighcay »

I read this in 11th grade, and I could not bring myself to even fully read the book without skimming or just taking a break from it. Hawthorne uses so many run-on sentences it's simply difficult to read, understand, and appreciate. I kid you not, there are single, paragraph-length, sentences. The storyline really isn't bad, but it's just difficult to "get into" while reading because of the poor writing.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Sounds like a deep, intriguing novel. I don't know why, but novels written back then are different from the bestsellers we read today. Most classics are beautiful, written with a style so different contemporary authors. Don't know when I'll have the time to read this, but I'm jotting this title down into my mental memo right now. Thanks.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Bobbi Duffy

Post by Bobbi Duffy »

I too read the Scarlet Letter in the 10th grade. Unfortunately, I went to Catholic school and the emphasis placed on the book even before we read it was on Hester's sin. To my young mind it was all that mattered. I was too young to fully appreciate Hester's transformation from sinner to saint for itself because my mind was clouded by what my teacher had to say. It wasn't until I was much older that I truly appreciated Hester's journey from victim to victor.
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

I too read this book in grade school. I really need to read it again. I enjoyed it when I first encountered it, but I know I'd get a lot more out of it now. I've enjoyed reading what the rest of you had to say about it. Like someone else mentioned, I found it interesting how she decorated her letter A. I was encouraged by her determination to not let what other people thought of her get her down. A lesson many of us would do well to learn.
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I read the Scarlet Letter in 10th grade and hated it at the time. I just found it difficult to read and it did not hold my attention. I may read it again at some point to see if I like it better as an adult than I did as a teenager.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
dda0615
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by dda0615 »

I'm 28, and just finished reading this for the first time last week. It's been on my list for quite some time because I love classics, however, I was disappointed. I had a difficult time connecting with it and it didn't really peak my interest until about halfway through. Hawthorne really likes his adjectives and if I don't read the word "epoch" for the next year, that would be just fine by me. What I did like was the way he wrote his characters, or rather, their relationships with one another. There's an insight there that's lacking greatly with many newer books I have read as of late, and it was nice to see an actual relationship established and get the feel of something real, especially between the mother and daughter. The ending was satisfying and I would give it a 2 out of 4, or 3 out of 5, however you guys do it on here. Still, I don't think I'll ever read it again.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I read the book while in high school and definitely didn't appreciate it as much as I did when I reread it as an adult. I think it takes being able to understand how the world works to really get into what happens to Hester.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hester Prynne was a brave woman and superb role model. She didn't allow anyone to make her feel ashamed of her choices, and she only answered to herself and her own higher divinity.

Instead of placing a tiny, hidden A on her chest, she made the most elaborate A's she could for all of her clothing. Darned if she was going to hide in ignominy, when her sins were no one else's business but her own.

She was a virtuous woman and a good mother to her young daughter. She held her head high and didn't worry about what anyone thought of her. We would do well to follow her refined example for how to react to others' attempts at shaming us.

This story shows that at heart, everyone is a sinner somehow. The best humans are the ones who try to rise above it and be as virtuous as they can, despite everything that life throws their way.

A
KPRUITT13_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kpruitt13.html

Post by KPRUITT13_ »

The Scarlet Letter was very eloquently wrote. The plot was gripping and mostly historically accurate. The one thing that I did not like was the older English, but I guess that's what makes it a classic. I truly enjoyed the book, and am looking forward to watching the movie soon.
laurelise
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelise.html

Post by laurelise »

I hated The Scarlet Letter in high school. Upon reflection, this was probably because the English teacher I had that year made us fill in charts with all the symbols, etc., and because I didn't have a lot of context for it. So, when some years later I found myself preparing to take qualifying exams in Early American Literature, I was less than thrilled that I had to re-read it (the hatred stayed with me for over a decade--that's how much I despised it in HS). Imagine my surprise when I loved it! There's so much going on, and Hawthorne draws on so many of the popular literary modes of his time. Our heartstrings are tugged on repeatedly, for example (sentimentalism), and there's a great big "A" in the sky, not to mention a deep dark forest, for a few touches of the gothic. Plus, in high school we were pretty much steered toward seeing Hester as a harlot who becomes a victim, but she really is triumphant in the end, and she never chooses victimhood. It's so much more morally complex and awesome than my high school English teacher allowed.
Euthyphr0
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Euthyphr0 »

I finished The Scarlet Letter just last month... or was it the one prior? Not sure, but either way I was familiar with the plot, just had never read the actual book. The thing that really struck me while reading it was the quality of the prose. Its dry and wordy yet the descriptions have a certain poetry to them. To me it was quite enjoyable, but then again several people have accused me of being a bit of a glutton for punishment lol. My one critique is the beginning section about the customs house was a little too long. Its not that it wasn't good, but I just wanted to get into the main story. Overall a good read, i would read it again someday. Also just want to add that I enjoyed the mini series version of The Scarlet Letter filmed in 1979. Its faithful to the plot and they filmed it in New England so it has a very authentic atmosphere.

Return to “Classic Books”