The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_hbanga
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Perfect Chemistry</a>
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbanga.html

Re: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by _hbanga »

I read The Great Gatsby for English class back in High School and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. I love how there was so much symbolism and how each colour in the book represented something. It was a charming and glamorous story and there is so much meaning that lies under the surface, I honestly recommend this book for everyone.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

The book was okay but the ending made me really heated up. I don't know, I personally hate Daisy for what she did but I wonder if she truly felt bad about what she did? I saw no signs of her remorse for Gatsby in the end.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I really enjoyed The Great Gatsby because of the entertaining read and symbolism. I do not think that movies are able to evoke the strong themes like a book, but felt the recent movie did a decent job of trying to reference a few.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
gauntrm
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gauntrm.html

Post by gauntrm »

Most people love this book, I for one am not most people. I personally enjoy reading a book for plot, for action, for suspense, for fun. I don't enjoy reading a book to analyze it, that's not fun for me. Sometimes the sky is purple because there is a sunset, not because there is an underlying meaning behind it. While reading the Great Gatsby, I felt like it was an analyzing book, one where syntax meant something and metaphors were more than just metaphors. It was like a giant puzzle that I didn't want to figure out. To me, the book was boring with no real plot and I didn't want to spend my time deciphering each sentence to truly "understand" the book.
peasandkaris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peasandkaris.html

Post by peasandkaris »

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I love the imagery in it.
EdeeIvey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edeeivey.html

Post by EdeeIvey »

hols1512 wrote:I first read this book a few months ago as I wanted to read it before I saw the film. I was fairly unimpressed when I finished it. Then I realised I was still thinking about it days later! I was wondering what had happened to Daisy? If she was happy? Did she deserve to be happy? Only then I realised how much of an impact the book had had on me!
I just finished listening to this book (an audiobook during a road trip), and I can relate to the lingering effect this book has. Somehow, I escaped reading it in high school, and I haven't seen the movie yet, so I really only had certain pieces of the puzzle when I began the story. Fitzgerald's genius comes through his slow descension in tone. While the book makes no claims of being a lighthearted story, given the number of affairs happening, it does not quite prepare readers for the final dismal tone. These characters become fascinating when they all intertwine in destructive ways.
inghilam193
Currently Reading: Long Live the Pumpkin Queen
Bookshelf Size: 1792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inghilam193.html

Post by inghilam193 »

Though i read this in high school, it is one of my all time favorite books. I was especially pleased when they chose DiCaprio to play Gatsby in the film, and believe he did a great job portraying the character I remember reading. However, as it usually goes, the book was definitely better than the movie. Though this book was a work of fiction, it had many elements within it. Romance, suspense,etc. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in 1950's fiction as it is most definitely an enjoyable read.
Blood_and_Jokes
Currently Reading: Empire State
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blood-and-jokes.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Blood_and_Jokes »

I probably would have enjoyed The Great Gatsby a little more if I hadn't first read it in college - my memory of it is absolutely tainted by the misery of the group reading sessions. Additionally, although I enjoyed many aspects - the descriptions, the atmosphere, the symbolism, the sheer style and glamour - I found the plot left a little to be desired, and I disliked pretty much every character other than Nick.
akl2013

Post by akl2013 »

I also read the book in high school then watched the original movie in class. I agree that the book was better and that they almost always are. When the new movie came out, I saw it and absolutely loved it. The first time I saw the Leonardo Di Caprio version, I didn't like him all that much in it. He didn't seem like a good fit; but watching it later on in life, I feel he did a very good job.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoyed the book far more than the movie. Each time I read the book, a different element pops out at me. Sometimes its a relationship, other times, it's the environment. However, the movie did help me to better visualize some of the extreme lavishness a bit better.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

njzeba wrote:The book was okay but the ending made me really heated up. I don't know, I personally hate Daisy for what she did but I wonder if she truly felt bad about what she did? I saw no signs of her remorse for Gatsby in the end.

I hate Daisy so much! I read this book in high school and recently read it again. She is just a selfish, bored person. I don't think she felt bad for her choices. I don't know if she even loved Gatsby at all.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
Squishybug4

Post by Squishybug4 »

I just started reading this and I'm not sure what to think of it. Most of the characters seem insanely vapid but I love the writing so we'll see where this goes :D
odduck17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odduck17.html

Post by odduck17 »

I read this novel for my grade 12 English class. I really enjoyed it. This was the first time I read a piece of literature by F. Scott Fitzgerald and all I can say is, is that his complex writing style amazes me. He uses so many words that we don't hear on a daily basis. The story itself was also fantastic. It definitely wasn't your typical love story. I believe everything that happened at the end definitely should've happened. I wouldn't change a thing. I watched the movie as well and I'll comment on the fact that the movie created a Daisy that was more innocent and likeable. I only wish that she would've came off as a more cruel person in the movie just like in the novel. Anyway, I didn't come here to review the movie. I give the novel a solid 10/10! :D
K_Kaori
Currently Reading: The Saltwater Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-kaori.html

Post by K_Kaori »

I havent read the book but i guess I will read it soon! People have talked about the book alot! and i think about the movie as well and i havent watched it either...so hoping for the best from it!
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

One of my favorite books. I will be having a future tattoo of this book cover.

Blessing?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋

Return to “Classic Books”