The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Re: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by Himmelslicht »

I liked the book but to be honest I had a tough time getting through it because I read it in a REALLY shabby translation. Will hope to read it sometime in the future in English because the last time it wasn't that good.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
sieting_gough
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sieting_gough »

Kali06 says it so well.... the man in the cool silk shirts epitomizes Gatsby and it paints an image in your head. He wasn't supposed to be frazzled on the outside, his character was supposed to internalize all of that tension, it was supposed to be almost imperceivable, it to show subtly in specific moments. Fitzgerald had a reason for this with Gatsby, after all, what was this man if not force of will personified. The American dream personified. The movie falls short in this and I don't know but I think it's what kills it for me.
jules23958
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jules23958.html

Post by jules23958 »

Brilliant book with lots of layers to it.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I have adored this book ever since I read it in high school. The imagery is just so vivid, and the emotions that come through Fitzgerald's words are second to none. The loneliness and longing that came through were so vivid to me the first time I read it - in a way that no other book had impacted me at the time. I haven't read it in awhile, but it's back on my to-read list!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
AngelBellaDonna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbelladonna.html

Post by AngelBellaDonna »

Loved the book, planning on seeing the movie soon. I just hope it's half as good as the book was
Kdorsla1

Post by Kdorsla1 »

When one reads a book it is a very personal experience. Although the author has a clear vision they try to convey to the reader, the readers mind is what brings the book to life. A book turned into a movie is someone else's interpretation of what we have read. It is my opinion that this fact is what causes such disappointments when a book goes to the screen. With that being said, I thought they did a wonderful job with this film. Every exaggerated detail down to the colors certain characters wore, was very thought out. I particularly enjoyed how some of my favorite quotes from the book were displayed on the movie.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Great Gatsby is the only adult classic that has ever fully intrigued me. Many classics, while they are deep, don't pull me in with their storytelling, an area where Great Gatsby fully succeeds. I love the characters' interactions-Nick's idolization of Gatsby, Gatsby's obsession with Daisy. There are a lot of unrequited feelings. Daisy clearly doesn't care as much for Gatsby as he does for her, and Gatsby doesn't care as much about Nick as Nick does about him, and Nick barely wants to be friends with Tom who is putting out such a great effort to be friendly. It gives you the feeling of a puzzle where the pieces overlap or fail to meet, which is how life feels so often. It's what makes it so believable.
The movie I never finished watching because I was interrupted. What I saw was great-I love DiCaprio-but not quite as complex as the book, especially with Daisy and Gatsby's relationship (though that might change towards the end of the movie, I wouldn't know). I did like how over the top the party scenes were. The music conveyed what I picture as the mood of Gatsby parties, even if it's too modern.
Michael_hayden
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-hayden.html

Post by Michael_hayden »

I have to say, studying this for A level left with with a mental aversion that may never go away. However, I can appreciate the beauty and brilliance of what Fitzgerald portrayed.
tburhart2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tburhart2.html

Post by tburhart2 »

I had to read this book for my AP English class. While I was never very excited to read classics, this one was definitely an exception. Fitzgerald was so particular about everything in his book, so each sentence was crafted perfectly. There is so much depth to the writing. I think I could read a thousand times and still be finding something new in it. Very excited to see the movie
Dkv5681
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dkv5681.html

Post by Dkv5681 »

Reread this before the movie as well. I was very impressed with the film, however I always enjoy the books more.
I'm glad they kept all the symbolism. My favorite was Daisy, she was true to character.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'll really have to read this book again sometime; the last time I read it was about six years ago for a high school English class. I remember thinking it was good but nothing special, but now that I'm a bit older, I might be able to get into the disillusionment a bit more. While I don't want to look down on teenagers, I'm not sure high-schoolers necessarily have the life experience necessary to fully grasp the way Fitzgerald treats the Jazz Age (or at least tenth-graders might not; if I'd read it two years later, I almost certainly would have gotten more out of it).
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
brittrussell214

Post by brittrussell214 »

So was I the only person who didn't like the new Gatsby movie? I would NOT have picked Leo as Gatsby (sorry, I just wouldn't have). And I definitely wouldn't have used Jay Z for the soundtrack. The mixture of time periods was just awkward, and it made me sad because Fitzgerald is my favorite American author, and they totally jacked up the movie. If you haven't seen the original one, it's on Netflix and it's only about 10000X better!
morgan_tay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-tay.html

Post by morgan_tay »

I think it's hard to compare the success of the symbolism in the movie versus the book. Particularly because if you paid close enough attention in the book to recognize the symbolism, it comes across as obvious in the film adaption, because you already know it's there. However in the eyes of someone who's never read the book, I think it would be fairly more difficult to recognize in the movie because it's so easy to pass over the mere glimpse of the green light across the bay, or such other things. In the book, on the other hand, the descriptions are drawn out and the author can do as he likes to show us the purpose of this specific object's being written about.
Ashifa_87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashifa-87.html

Post by Ashifa_87 »

I have always had an attachment to this book, this story. For some reason, I could always relate to both Daisy and Gatsby, but more Gatsby!

The first time I read this book in High School was the first time in my life that I had realized the power a book can have. And when the movie was out, I was HOOKED!!!!!!!! I can watch the movie and read the book a million times over and never get tired.
The pomp, sadness, love, foreboding tragedy, betrayal, suspicion etc. all have me hooked!

I am willing to read it again and give it another review!
Hesnogoodtomedead
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hesnogoodtomedead.html

Post by Hesnogoodtomedead »

I have not seen the movie( yet) but I like the book. I'm not big on romance books and that is what someone told me is but its really not. It's just a sweet story about a rich guy who's crazy over a girl

Return to “Classic Books”