The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maha73luck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by maha73luck »

A great classic with a twist at the end and that which has been rightly titled. Scott has based this book purely on love and romance and how love can take a person to any extent. Narrated by Nick Carraway who has a soft corner for Gatsby right from the time he meets him for the first time and stays as a true friend right till the end is just amazing. Gatsby's character has great panache and he is portrayed as that of a trailblazer. I liked the book better than the motion picture though Leo and Toby looked quite apt for their roles.
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

i've just finished reading the book, but haven't seen the movie yet. But it's Leonardo DiCaprio, so I'm not worried!
jouley9

Post by jouley9 »

Incredible, riveting, wondrous, there are too many superlatives i could use to describe this book. This is definitely one novel that can be considered a classic. Without a doubt a must read!
CourtnayKruger

Post by CourtnayKruger »

The Great Gatsby is an excellent piece of literature that is yet another example of how one is truly appreciated for their talents only once they have departed from this world. Whilst reading this book, i watched the old, original movie and was utterly intrigued by the way in which they displayed the jazz era. Since then, I have finished the book, re-watched the original film, and watched the latest adaption of the story. Having had my fair share of the lives of Gatsby and Nick Caraway, I think it is possible to say that neither film does full justice to the spectacular piece of writing of F. Scott Fitzgerald
Purely_Poetic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purely-poetic.html

Post by Purely_Poetic »

I absolutely adore this book. I very reluctantly read it for the first time last year. The power was out and this was the only book that I had on my iPad that I did not read. After a few pages I was completely wrapped up in this book and could not put it down! The language in it is so rich and the descriptions so vivid that I practically felt like I was at one of Gatsby's parties. This is my favorite book and one that I will always treasure.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

The Great Gatsby has been on my "to read" list for ages. I haven't yet gotten around to it though. I watched the movie and I really loved it, which made my need to read the book even greater. :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I read this in college and I really loved it. Several images have stuck with me: Gatsby catching the clock (such an important symbol), Nick's hat on the chandelier and Gatsby's pink suit. Fitzgerald was never afraid of a little self-indulgence, unlike many authors. It's also a novel that offers itself to all critical approaches (psychoanalytical, queer, Marxist etc.) in very interesting ways because of how fantastically written it is. Fitzgerald's skill as a writer meant that he could compact so much meaning into a simple phrase without making it seem too contrived or purple. I really must read more of his work!
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
sunnykaye

Post by sunnykaye »

I like this book. It tells the story of unfulfilled dreams and how society and reality can betray one's ideals. It's irony is its beauty. I literally uttered a deep sigh after finishing the book. It made me feel melancholic through out and yet I still consider this as one of the best classic books that I have read. :)
sunnykaye

Post by sunnykaye »

I like this book. It tells the story of unfulfilled dreams and how society and reality can betray one's ideals. It's irony is its beauty. I literally uttered a deep sigh after finishing the book. It made me feel melancholic through out and yet I still consider this as one of the best classic books that I have read. :)
JemmaHayes

Post by JemmaHayes »

The Great Gatsby is one of the best books I have read, hands down.
Loved all of it; the motifs really make this book special compared to other more simple peices.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Great Gatsby has elicited a range of views over time - some people hate it and others just love it. I tend to favour the latter view - I think it is an important classic of American literature.

I also think it has one of the best endings of any novel I have ever read.

I haven't seen the new Baz Luhrman film with Leonardo di Caprio, but not long ago I saw a re-run of the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version on TV and I just loved it.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Lazaszeret39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazaszeret39.html

Post by Lazaszeret39 »

This book was wonderful to read :) especially in highschool. The writer did a very good job with strong themes in the book.
Poe_vs_King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poe-vs-king.html

Post by Poe_vs_King »

I LOVED this book when reading it in high school and still re-read it in my free time. It's the kind of book that needs to be read at least three times for all the symbolism and foreshadowing to be understood. My AP English class loved it so much that we dressed up in Roaring Twenties attire and went to the movie premiere together. The problem is that it's a little tough to describe to others. I've found myself saying "I cant describe it, just read it" since the movie has less of an impact if you never read the story. Great Gatsby is one of the classics that I'll make sure my kids read whether their schools call for it or not.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

suzy1124 wrote:can't wait to see this!.............. Leonardo hasn't made a bad movie yet...

Have you seen the Romeo and Juliet with him? I just can't handle that movie. But he makes a wonderful Gatsby!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I read this in high school and had a really tough time keeping interested. cannot honestly say I remember hardly any of it. Never saw the movie. I know it is supposed to be a classic and a great book but it was so boring. Maybe I will have to give it a retry now that I am older but I don't have much hope.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing

Return to “Classic Books”