The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookcrazymommy
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Post by bookcrazymommy »

Hello fellow readers,
I am new to the site and noticed that everyone seems to give very honest opinions about certain topics. I would like some honest answers on this.
The 5th grade at my child's school has decided to read The Outsiders. My kids are not accustomed to hearing words that are used in this book. To me 5th is a little young to read this book. I didnt read it until my freshman year in high school. Am I wrong to protest my daughter reading this book this year?
annaszpak

Post by annaszpak »

I completely understand your concern for your daughter. I think that as long as your child doesn't use the profanity, then it's ok for her to read. The novel has many literary elements that are included in her school curriculum. I was in the 8th grade when my class read this book, and to be honest, it never changed me as a person. I never swore or acted inappropriately. Younger generations today are more influenced by movies, tv, and music than books in my opinion. I'm sure your daughter is mature enough to handle the contents of the book. Unless you start to see changes in her behavior, I wouldn't worry too much. I must say, you're a wonderful mother and your daughter is very lucky to have a parent that cares so deeply for her well-being. I'm sorry to tell you this, but no matter how hard you try, she's going to hear certain words at some point in her life. It's a shame there's no way to protect our loved ones from the negatives of the world. I hope this helped, and be sure to keep an eye out for your daughter. ~~~~~~Anna
Twins2223

Post by Twins2223 »

I read this book as an 8th grader... 5th grade is extremely young to be reading it...as a mother that is my opinion...
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I read it in 6th grade– no one in my class had a problem with it.
julieg25
Favorite Author: Jk Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Currently Reading: My Sisters Keeper Widows Watch
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julieg25.html
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein

Post by julieg25 »

I read this book in the 7th or 8th grade. It's a good book. We even watched the movie. Both were good. 5th graders might be too young to understand what the language means, but it shouldn't affect them to much. And probably no one will have a problem reading it either.
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein
MercutioMadHat

Post by MercutioMadHat »

The ideas in the book might be a bit more mature than the language, but it's still an important bunch of lessons to learn. Fifth grade *might* be a bit too young, but I read it in seventh grade and loved it. Not much older than your fifth grader.
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

I am currently in Grade 9 and have just finished 'The Outsiders' book, and assessment pieces. My opinion, Grade 5 is definitely too young to be reading. And honestly, I liked the novel, but it isn't one that I would add to my "Enjoyable" category.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

Albeit it was a long time ago, I too read this in grade 5. The language is not any worse than a person would hear in public or from naughty older siblings (cough, cough). I don't remember it being a problem, and no one ever made an issue of it. But then again, we also read Huck Finn (gasp!) and Don Quixote (shock...awe!) and other "banned" books. The book actually made for good discussion at our age about acceptable social behaviors and the perils of growing up, peer pressures, etc. I would encourage you to just talk to your daughter as she reads it, and after she is done. I think you will be surprised how little this "glittering alliteration" affected her. :)
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

This book was also on the UK English curriculum, and I'm so glad it was. I read her whole series, Rumble Fish, That was then, this is now, Taming of the Star runner, Tex. The Outsiders is still my favourite book of all time. And S.E.Hinton my favourite, author. She's the reason I published my first book and continue to write.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
E_Reads
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: The Lake of Dead Languages

Post by E_Reads »

My father read this to me when I was very young. (1st or 2nd grade) It is still my favorite book.
I would suggest reading it along with her. 5th graders today in her class are in all likelihood saying fouler things than in The Outsiders. It's unfortunate but true. I knew certain words weren't appropriate as I'm sure you've explained to your daughter.
I hope she doesn't miss out.
tabIRinribbons1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabirinribbons1313.html

Post by tabIRinribbons1313 »

I agree with the ideas that were presented. I think the best course of action is to share the book with her so you can help her to see how the views in this book are in alignment or in contrast to your family's beliefs and principles. I think when children are left alone to puzzle out which ideas to emulate that problems arise. I am very grateful that you are the type of parent that cares enough to find out what your child is doing at school. I think the most important part of education is parental involvement. Too often people are counting on the school system to raise children. I love that you are an active parent. All parents should discuss their children's reading material because what we think a child is taking from these sources could be completely 180 degrees different from what they are really thinking.
llevine2934
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llevine2934.html

Post by llevine2934 »

The book had many important qualities that would be important to a kid growing up. But I think that 5th grade is too young for them to get the full scope of the novel.
Meadowsaurus
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadowsaurus.html

Post by Meadowsaurus »

Don't get me wrong, the book was amazing; however, I do feel that a 5th grade child is a tad too young to read it.
sfinch90

Post by sfinch90 »

I first read this book in the 8th grade. It's the only book so far that I've read twice! The characters, plot, and writing were all excellent, in my opinion.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

This book seems to be a popular book for teachers to assign to middle-school readers. The book is a good one for them to read and have discussions on.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Return to “Classic Books”