The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Re: The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Post by britt1125 »

I read this book in the 6th grade and i loved it! I'v read it may times since then. I personally would let my kids read it. I know the langue s not great but the book its self is. The words in that book are no worse than what some kids see on tv.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Caz1+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I love this book read it in my teens and about to read it again as I have just found a paperback version which I have been searching for, for ages
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

I read this in middle school, and was appalled by some of the language and content. 5th grade is definitely too young to read it.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
Kheath

Post by Kheath »

I think the first time I read the Outsiders I was in 7th agreed, and I'll be honest, it was a little over my head, but my mom being an 80s teen, had me watch the movie with her. I reread the book after that, recognizing what was going on a bit better and now I find it fantastic. It was considered an honors book, and I had to read it with Animal Farm, but to this day out of all the books assigned to me in class, it's not one I'm ashamed to have read, and I would read it again.
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Post by claire mckay »

It is an amazing book and such a powerful story. One of my favourites from my teenage years but I would also feel like 5th grade (I'm from Scotland but google tells me that's about 11) is a bit young. There is an amazing film too that is beautifully acted. Maybe you could let her read the book and maybe watch the film together so you can talk about it and cover the issues together. I'm sure I was about 14 when I read it and that would be a more appropriate age. It is an amazing book though so a lot of positives to outweigh the negatives but it would depend how influenced your daughter might and how mature she is. My eldest is 7 so I have no idea how quickly they start swearing these days!
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I did not read the book until middle school but I loved the story line. I believe as long as you explain to your daughter that those words are inapprpiate for her to use then it should be fine. The book never changed me.
samanthas2686
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthas2686.html

Post by samanthas2686 »

I read the book my 9th grade year and find this book to be wonder.
I noticed how just like the books two groups socs and the greaser to me it
Was like real live the jocks and the unpopular kids.
I do believe 5th grade tho is a little to soon to read
This book. I do feel it should be a much read at some point.
CMcGee
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmcgee.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by CMcGee »

I was just mentioning S.E. Hinton in another post on this forum, and can tell you that I read everyone of her books. I would have to say that Tex is my favorite, but i really did not start reading them until I was a teenager. There is material that I think without proper guidance could be confusing to a much younger reader and perhaps they would not understand or misunderstand the context as to which it was written. But then again I am sure that it would depend on the child and what a parent feels their child's comfort level of reading may be.
readitandwept
Favorite Author: Libba Bray
Favorite Book: Ginger Pye
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readitandwept.html
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
Publishing Contest Votes: 4
fav_author_id: 2652

Post by readitandwept »

For me I read it in grade seven and I was not affected by it at all, but if I had read it in grade five that would be a different story. Elementary and Middle School are completely different zones. Kids in elementary have much better books to read then the outsiders. There is too much violence in it for a fifth grader to handle. There are plenty better books for fifth graders to read in my opinion. Tuck Everlasting, or Winn Dixie are the ones I read. I don't think the kids would have enough experience in life to understand the main moral of the story, even if the teacher flat out tells them it.
Latest Review: "The Morecambe Medium" by Peter Cakebread with Ken Walton
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I read "The Outsiders" in sixth grade. Neither I nor anybody else in my class had a problem with it. The sex is very obliquely referred to (it's rather vague that one brother got his girlfriend pregnant, and the violence is rather tame compared to the Greek myths we read that year as well.
From_My_NiteStand

Post by From_My_NiteStand »

I was in 7th grade when we read this one, another book that led me to believe reading would be my passion. It's great for discussions for bullying. My own children have read this, but I don't remember what grades they were in at the time.
MrsAmyM
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsamym.html

Post by MrsAmyM »

I read this one around 4th or 5th grade and to be honest, the naughty bits only made it more interesting.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I read it in 7th grade for school. I think most kids have heard worse language from tv, their parents, or each other.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

Sit your child down explain context and reasoning why such words and subjects are off limits. The book itself has an excellent message.
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

5th grade does seem a little young to be reading such a book. It is a good book and tackles social issues but it is intense in some areas. Maybe read along or help her with activities or assignments on the book.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Return to “Classic Books”