Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
donaldwolford
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldwolford.html

Re: Animal Farm

Post by donaldwolford »

Orwell uses an inventive and creative way to satire/attack corrupt politics and autocratic governments. The US should heed his warning. If we're not careful we'll end up right where the Soviet Union did (and North Korea).
MHaswell15
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Bag Of Bones
Currently Reading: Justifiable Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhaswell15.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MHaswell15 »

Animal Farm was the very first classic I ever read. I have actually seen two televised versions of the story, but prefer
the book. I have read the book many, many times & will probably read it many times more~but the first time I had
no idea that it was in any way political. By the third reading I figured it out.

I've never liked politics. People have asked me why & I have asked them if they have ever read Animal Farm because
in my honest opinion~this is what all politics boil down to. I also tip my hat to George Orwell for having the courage to
pen this book because at the time, it was dangerous for him to do so.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

I read this in school. Liked it a lot. I should re-read it. It's a timeless classic.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
tilde333
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tilde333.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tilde333 »

I would like to comment on the original question posed. I agree that the animals lacked any semblance of the principle of subsidiarity and so were doomed to be like sheep. As subjects of a large governments we too can fall prey to bureaucracy instead of handle what problems we can at the lowest level possible. A renewed effort in this area could reduce the problem of elites who perpetrate the cause of "some animals are more equal than others".
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

tilde333 wrote:I would like to comment on the original question posed. I agree that the animals lacked any semblance of the principle of subsidiarity and so were doomed to be like sheep. As subjects of a large governments we too can fall prey to bureaucracy instead of handle what problems we can at the lowest level possible. A renewed effort in this area could reduce the problem of elites who perpetrate the cause of "some animals are more equal than others".
Well put. :text-goodpost:
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
alm69al1982
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alm69al1982.html
Reading Device: B007G7CO2C

Post by alm69al1982 »

Loved this in high school! I just found it in a thrift store and when I get a little more of my TBR list down I plan on re-reading. Sooooo good.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

This book was such a surprise to me. I had no idea what it was going in so when I realized what was happening, and how easily it could happen in real life, not to mention what has already happened similarly, I was like.. Wait! You Hypocrites! The fact that these were animals made it even better. It really makes you wonder what you would do if you were in the position of being able to stop these things from happening. Would you stand up? Would you role with the punches? Would you cower and run away?
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
amylord
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amylord »

I had to read Animal farm in HS and I read it again earlier this year. I like it a lot. In HS it was my favourite book because of the animal in it. I didn't understand many politics back then. And now I am really amazed how good Orwell describes Communist governments all over the world.

This is my favourite quote from the book.

"Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself."
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I've read this book a handful of times. Everytime I do I find it relatable to current politics and society. The idea of a perfect society run by the animals for the animals is a great hook. The underlying feeling of corruption is subtle yet powerful. I think everyone needs to read this book as an adult.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

A timeless classic and one of my favorites. I've always been a political person from a young age, and this book was spot on. I enjoyed the table being turned.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
bouwman_530
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by bouwman_530 »

Animal Farm by George Orwell was a great thought provoker. I read in my first year of college, as it was not assigned reading in high school; and let me tell you dear readers, I wish it was my assigned reading. I immensely enjoyed the imagery, humor, and verbage. A nice, quick read that makes you think and compare and laugh! Highly recommend!
LovelyMonroe
Currently Reading: Pines (Wayward Pines Triology, Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by LovelyMonroe »

I really enjoyed Animal Farm as a kid. Although, I really didn't understand the underlying meaning until I read it as an adult. I could see the humans and animals behavior was very similar. Power tends to change some people, or animals in this case.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

LovelyMonroe wrote:I really enjoyed Animal Farm as a kid. Although, I really didn't understand the underlying meaning until I read it as an adult. I could see the humans and animals behavior was very similar. Power tends to change some people, or animals in this case.

Power changes everything.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

I think this is a good book but not a page turner, like his masterpiece, 1984
coffeeholic33
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by coffeeholic33 »

I read Animal Farm during student teaching this past semester. Although my students didn't really care for it, I loved it. It was an easy read, but still promoted complex thinking about sociopolitics and the corruptive nature of power. I am definitely placing this on my favorites shelf.

Return to “Classic Books”