Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ocean-Pepper
Currently Reading: Born for This
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ocean-pepper.html

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Ocean-Pepper »

"Animal Farm" was one of those books that I was "supposed" to read in high school, but never quite did. I ended up taking a college-level course on George Orwell and totally fell in love with his dystopian novels and then went on to writing a major essay on this book. Horrifying, symmetrical, and full of truly meaningful characters, Orwell portrays realistic characters exceedingly well. Doesn't the part with Boxer leaving just pull on your heartstrings?
earthheart
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-earthheart.html

Post by earthheart »

Like 1984, Animal Farm is a book that is so relevant today; especially our abuse of animals in modern society. It forces us to look at the animals as living, breathing entities that are just as capable of experiencing as we are. It really does force us to look inward and ask ourselves what that means to us, how we treat animals in our lives, and whether that attitude needs to change.

It's a brilliant book, as are his other writings; they inspire transformation.
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

I enjoyed the book and the way it carried across its message. It is short and a fairy easy read for a classic, and I think audiences of all ages and political experience can enjoy reading it. Younger readers (I read it when I was thirteen) can read on just for the plot without having to push themselves to delve into its deeper meanings, and adult readers can gain insight from the ideas it conveys. I love Orwell and all his works. This book would definitely be on my 'recommend list' of classics.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I actually didn't realize this book was about talking animals until I read it. I liked the underlying themes of politics and society. It was a thought provoking read.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
wagers46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wagers46.html

Post by wagers46 »

The way in which the animals represent different groups of people is often overlooked in this book. The reason there are more sheep than any other animal is because most tend to miss what is happening and follow the herd, which is exactly what this book is trying to warn against. If you read this book and don't come away wanting to be an Ass then I believe you've missed the point.
Marquhette
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Marquhette »

I read this book in school and re read it a while back - the relevance of this book in todays world is mind blowing. Scary how little changes when it comes to looking at the people in power and those lower on the chain. I cried the first time I read about the faithful work horse being killed and it made me sad the second time around as well. And of course in life there will always be sheep that will follow stupidly.
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

This book and 1984 never stop being relevant. Even if you don't know all the historical events referenced in Animal Farm, you can still relate to the rise of a dictator and the yes-men who spread pleasant lies. Orwell was a genius - the patterns he saw in terrible leaders and how they maintain power are only more relevant now than they were in his time.

When my teacher has us read the book in high school, she didn't expect us to know any of the history. She just had us look at the events that lead from "four legs good, two legs bad" to "two legs *better*" and talk about how the animals were conditioned to accept the steps along the way. Thanks to that discussion, it's hard *not* to see how some governments around the world use propaganda to get people to accept bad conditions!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Bhavna Aburani
Currently Reading: Dexter By Design
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhavna-aburani.html

Post by Bhavna Aburani »

Interesting book. There's really no other word for it. A brilliant satire on how those in power change with time. Didn't like the end, but then Mr. Orwell gets to choose the ending,not me. A must read for those who are always struggling how to read a book since they don't like to. Story will keep you grappled and will end before you start to get bored ;)
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

At first I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the humor of the animals and one of the parts I liked was when the animals changed Manor Farm to Animal Farm. But eventually I really disliked it because of its darkness.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

Animal Farm was one of the first books that I read which featured political undertones. I liked that George Orwell used animals to show the realities of dictatorships and hatred. I am not surprised that this book was forbidden by communist countries. This book makes you think about societies today including our own.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I loved reading this book in high school, and we actually got to see a play of it too! We were shocked to see a teacher brought an elementary class to see the play as well... we don't think she knew what she was getting herself into haha.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I first read this book when I was in an AP English course back in Middle School. It wasn't the easiest book to understand on your own, but with the discussions in class, the plot was easily picked up. I hate politics, but love animals. This book took two things that generally are not linked together (at a child's understanding) and made it work. Other than politics, the book was filled with lessons on enemies, friends, trust, etc. Although, as a child I was not excited to read Animal Farm, I think that it is important to keep around in the schools.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
HANNAH OBRIEN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-obrien.html

Post by HANNAH OBRIEN »

lord i like the colors the book looks good and i am loving the kittens Congrats on BOTD
Temi

Post by Temi »

Eric Blair did a good job using animals to depict the state of Politics of His time. The book is satire on system of government and those governed. Its a book for all time and seasons as the political trend doesn't seem to change and it serves as way or correcting the evils of those in power or at the realm of authority.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I really loved Animal Farm when I first read it, even though I was in middle school at the time and had know idea about any of the political background. I'm glad I eventually learned all of that in high school.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Return to “Classic Books”