Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wndr_Wmn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wndr-wmn.html

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Wndr_Wmn »

I read Animal Farm my Senior year in high school as part of a class assignment. I hated the book, thought it was stupid. I don't know if the underlying meanings were lost on me but it was one book I did not enjoy and can't bring myself to reread. A couple years back I was working with a teacher and that book came up in conversation, she absolutely loved it. I was surprised as we had so many similar interests.
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I read Animal Farm in middle school and loved it. It was many many years ago so my details are hazy but the thought provoking political and the depictions of the characters mindsets. We studied it for several weeks - and after it was over I heard a classmate say "can we read something that actually matters instead of farm animals how does that relate to anything" - I was outraged but then I pitied her ; wonderful book -
good writing and good point of view and incite
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Post by darkandstormyknight »

I thought it was an interesting portrayal of Russian history and all that, but I didn't really see the merit beyond that. I was very creative and I enjoyed it, but I don't know, I felt like something was missing. Must have been all those farm animals.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

My class studied the book for our second year of GCSEs, I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it the first time I read it, but after studying it for a while I became quite interested in it.

This was a fair few years ago and I think that I'd have to reread it to give a more accurate summary of my opinion of it, but I certainly remember being glad that it was one of the books that we were studying.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

The novel reminds us through Boxer that sometimes there are too many perspectives to keep track of and sometimes it's just easier to keep on working, despite our hatred of doing so. What did he know of politics? The writing on the wall changed around him while he was busy working his ass off for the pigs. There was very little that he could do because he hadn't the time to think about anything other than manual labour. Orwell wanted to give us that time, I think. It's an incredibly enlightening but depressing novel. Because of that, though, it's incredible. Not the sweet little story that the name suggests it would be :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I had to read this in HS, liked that it had animals in it, since I'm an animal lover. What I did not like was the politics, I cannot stand talking about politics. I liked that it was a talking animal story, did not like the politics.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

This is an allegory– each character represents something and they all play a role in the large message of the corruption in the USSR.
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

I read this book earlier this year after reading 1984. What I find astonishing is how blind humans can be to what is going on around them. If we have food, entertainment and shelter, who cares what is going on else where? Power is a bad thing and while I get that there has to be someone leading the way I think we give too much power to one individual. Who says they are out for the greater good of mankind? I highly recommend this book to anyone and it's much better to read it later in life because you can relate to it a bit more than when in school and have not been out in the real world.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I haven't read this book since high school - I really ought to read it again. It remains as relevant today as it was when Orwell first wrote it.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

My literature teacher suggested I read this book and do my oral presentation on it, but as I know nothing about politics ad didn't even know that book had anything to DO with politics (let alone that of a foreign country) I hated the story. I enjoyed the writing technique and the overall way it was written, but I didn't understand a single thing that happened, and it wasn't until I was doing my oral presentation in front of the entire class that my friend asked me "what do you know about the Russian revolution" and I replied with "what has that got to do with my book?" That the teacher actually told me what I had been reading about.

In summery, I disliked the book because I didn't understand it, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it at least a little bit if anyone had told me what I was actually reading.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think Animal Farm is one of the most popular books which commented on the Communist governments in the world through its story. I think the author wrote with a correct degree of wit and provided enough fodder to raise questions regarding the pitfalls of Communism.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

ananya92 wrote:I think Animal Farm is one of the most popular books which commented on the Communist governments in the world through its story. I think the author wrote with a correct degree of wit and provided enough fodder to raise questions regarding the pitfalls of Communism.
Applies equally to Fascism ... or indeed any other kind of ism.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I agree with both comments above.
It's a clear criticism against all kinds of disguised hierarchies. No matter how humble a goal sounds at first to find equality and the same rights for all, it will always be corrupted because the human being is corrupted himself.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
michelleNYclassics
Currently Reading: Reading my way through the classics...

Post by michelleNYclassics »

I definitely agree with many of you in the declaration that this novel offers a perfectly simple example of the perils awaiting those who blindly follow a cause or a government. Ironic that it is considered a "must read" across America, where the masses are so blindly engaged in their ceaseless bipartisan power struggle. The moral of any story always seems so wise, yet many find it unnecessary to apply to their own lives.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Animal Farm was the first book I read in school that really struck up awesome conversations in class about the deeper meanings of the story. I'll be honest, I remember very little about the book, but I do remember those conversations and the inspiration to discuss books with others and find deeper meanings aside from just the words themselves. Also, I remember liking the book a lot, and that's a plus :D

Return to “Classic Books”