Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Re: Animal Farm

Post by njzeba »

Animal Farm was so entertaining and educational!!! I read it in school while I was learning about the Soviet Union and Stalin. It actually taps into the realities of government officials. I love how in the ending, the other animals couldn't tell the difference between teh humans and the pigs because by then, the pigs had become as corrupt as the humans. There are so many messages that the book tries to get across to the reader and I would definitely read the book again
Booklover813
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover813 »

This book is still valid today. As a matter of fact, if you look through the book through the lens of different periods in history, you'll see it applies. This book is timeless and worth a read!
elena-09

Post by elena-09 »

scriptbunny wrote:Cute parable for kids warning against the rise of populist-supported dictatorial regimes.
Well, I do not know if kids are able to understand the political implications of the book. More adults should definitevely read it. It is an eye opener. :D
Stand_tall
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stand-tall.html

Post by Stand_tall »

When I read it, I was sort of scared to see connection between the past and present but it really made me see things in a different way.
DavidLupin7

Post by DavidLupin7 »

Such a great book, very political and smart.

-- 02 Jul 2016, 14:07 --

Such a great book, very political and smart.
Bookshelf_lifE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookshelf-life.html

Post by Bookshelf_lifE »

A smart book, but I must say I preferred 1984. Perhaps it was because it amazed me so, that I expected more from the Farm
Alexandra2016
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra2016.html

Post by Alexandra2016 »

Well this book is one of my favourites. I adored every word and I read it twice. Once when I was in high school and I was thinking that I can do somethig to change our society and eight years later when I laught of myself. But the most important thing is that this book helped me realise that I love my live and that without all "the animals" it would be so boring.
MayaYvonne

Post by MayaYvonne »

Orwell is a phenomenal author and Animal Farm is a wonderful illustration of his skill. He takes the classic, didactic fable and turns into a story for adults. He depicts a political system that articulates that power, no matter who eventually maintains it, pollutes the soul and mind. Essential, the idiom that someone else already stated, that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Orwell perfected the art form that modern novels like The Hunger Games attempt to emulate. Animal Farm is probably one of the most powerful pieces of literature to date.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Animal Farm holds a very special place in my reading history. Below is a link to my experience reading Animal Farm for the first time which I posted long ago.

forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... 41#p170910
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
amb1339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amb1339.html

Post by amb1339 »

I would recommend reading this book. If you want to read it, I would suggest prior knowledge of Stalin, Hitler, politics, etc., although I think it's a good read even if you don't know much about it. The use of animals to depict history makes the book more interesting to a wider audience and more enjoyable to the readers.

-- 11 Sep 2016, 13:13 --

I would recommend reading this book. If you want to read it, I would suggest prior knowledge of Stalin, Hitler, politics, etc., although I think it's a good read even if you don't know much about it. The use of animals to depict history makes the book more interesting to a wider audience and more enjoyable to the readers.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I did think that it was one of those really happy animal books but well.. no. I guess it does have a political meaning behind it, and it still was quite an enjoyable read for me.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Purzum
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Purzum »

This was required reading my sophomore year and, while enjoyable, I think a lot of it totally went over my head. I understood it well enough and while it was rather off putting, I think if I read it again now, I might have a better and more complete understanding of it...
Free Roth

Post by Free Roth »

great book. I don't think this is his best though.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I have to say that this is prehab's my favorite classic. It teaches us how power is often misused and how other people cannot do anything about it.

-- 09 Nov 2016, 13:58 --
DATo wrote:Animal Farm holds a very special place in my reading history. Below is a link to my experience reading Animal Farm for the first time which I posted long ago.

forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... 41#p170910
I read your post and it was good. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

I read Animal Farm in my high school years and read it again a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it the first time, but the second time I was riveted and it had a profound effect on me. The scariest part to me is the way the animals let it happen. So many of them wouldn't learn to read and were completely happy to let others make decisions for them. Then the laws kept changing and they could see something was different but they couldn't be sure what it was. Terrifying, and all too timeless.

Return to “Classic Books”