Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dprice811
Currently Reading: Night and the Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dprice811.html
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by dprice811 »

I read this book in high school as well and loved the vibrant characters and twists. Required school reading was not necessarily my favorite thing, and I can't say I remember very many stories that well (probably because I didn't read the books in their entirety), but this one stuck with me. I felt bad for Pip, being stuck between those two crazy women. I guess that proves the author did his job :tiphat: But I think justice was served to all in the end.
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi
Green_gable_annie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green-gable-annie.html

Post by Green_gable_annie »

Really wordy, but such a good read. Pip is a sweetie and I love how the plot plays out.
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

my review:
In the Novel Great Expectations by Charles Dickens we meet an orphan Pip who is a apprentice but dreams of becoming a gentleman. One day he finds himself in possession of “great expectations.”

I struggle to recommend this one as I really did not like it. It would be age appropriate to teenagers though if they could they could understand his writing style.

This book took me forever to read. I just couldn’t get into it. I cannot explain why to be honest. I felt myself loathing this book the whole way through. You may wonder why I even finished. I hate not finishing a book I always feel hopeful that it will get better. For me this one did not. Many people praise this book and I wish I could do the same. For me this book was just boring and dull. I kept having to remind myself what I was reading about. I think it would be better just to have someone tell you about it than reading it. I really struggle with Dickens writing style. Many people love his humor. I never once got when he was trying to be funny. I couldn’t even see where I was supposed to laugh.

This story was depressing. First off we meet Pip a poor orphan boy. Then boy falls in love with a well-to-do girl. Boy reforms well. Girl is manipulated to dumping Pip in a predictable fashion. They have words, lots of words. Pip is chopped up and sent away to reconstruct himself. He goes to Miss Havisham. She is an evil person. I honestly just want to know where all the “normal” people are.

This story just wasn’t for me, and especially the ending made me wonder what this story was really about. I couldn’t understand where this was going, why there were going the way they were. I still don’t understand Pip. I am glad I finally finished this book and I am done with it but I am unhappy I didn’t understand or enjoy this like so many other reviewers have.

It is interesting to me to read that the writer was paid by word and that is why it goes on and on. Oh gosh I hope this is why the middle especially felt so dragged on and boring. At least I can say now that I have read it.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars.
kylie_fuller
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylie-fuller.html

Post by kylie_fuller »

Great Expectations perfectly exposed how society's focus on a person's socioeconomic status impacts a person. It is beautifully written, and the characters development is an excellent reflexction on the reality of society.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

This is one of my absolute favorite books! My husband had been on me for years to read it and I finally did. I am so happy that I got around to it. Yes, Miss Havisham is one of my favorite characters too. She is kind of spooky and sad.
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

I didn't pay attention to this book in high school, but I did end up reading it afterwords. It turned out to be a good book and i regret not paying attention.
Yvonne Marie
Currently Reading: The Importance of Being Earnest
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Yvonne Marie »

It is my favorite of the Dickens'. I was first introduced to it in 9th grade lit. I have , at times , in my life, identified with Pip. I love the twists and turns. I love the air of mystery he weaves through the book, even from the beginning! I would recommend it, especially if you are going through a down time, and are finding it difficult seeing rhe light at the end of rhe tunnel. It will stimulate your own "great expectations". The truth is, we all need them from time to time.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I love, love, love this a book! It has been many years since I read it. I'm so glad I saw this thread because you have inspired me to reread it!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I tried to read this novel when I was thirteen years old, and to be honest, I thought it was so hard! I could not go back to read it since then, but I'm not sure what would I think of it after I became a grown up.
curious_daisy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-daisy.html

Post by curious_daisy »

this was the first book I ever read in English as English is not my native language and i had to read it for English class in high school. I was not a fan of it, possible because I focused too much on the vocabulary and all the unfamiliar words, possibly because I am not a fan of Dicken's work anyway. Maybe I should reread it and see what I think of it now hehe :D
katmiddlebrook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katmiddlebrook.html

Post by katmiddlebrook »

I struggled through Great Expectations in freshman English, and I'm curious: Do you think it is an appropriate novel for required high school reading lists? At the time I can remember thinking that perhaps we were required to read it due to the tenacity it took to complete it. What are your thoughts?
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

This is my favorite Dickens book. I love pip and. I didn't know there was a film adaptation, I'll have to take a look.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
aaldaco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaldaco.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aaldaco »

In all honesty, it took me several tries to get past the first chapter of this book. Charles Dickens writing style was very detailed and at times difficult for me to understand. However, I am glad that I pushed myself to read the entire story. It has a thought-provoking message, intriguing characters, and adventures that are hard to forget.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Dickens did wonders with this one. I found it to be very engaging and enjoyed it to the very end.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes i loved the book too. And Miss Havisham is one of the finest eccentric characters of all time.

Return to “Classic Books”