Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharp14
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharp14.html

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by Sharp14 »

If Dickens where to remove a lot of unneeded pages of character building the book would've be wonderful
Shanaya
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaya.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shanaya »

I had read a chapter of Great Expectations in my middle school, the scene where Pip is ordered by the fugitive to bring some food for him. The chapter was interesting and when I read the entire book a couple of years later I was engaged. However, the whole atmosphere of the book is dark and slightly depressing.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
nurj
Favorite Author: Sylvia Plath
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Casual Vacancy
fav_author_id: 7000

Post by nurj »

I liked reading Charles Dickens's Great Expectations, I really did but I have to be honest, the ending, and this is disputable, was a little unsatisfactory to me. I understand that Dickens wanted to give a little justice to Estella's character by the end of the story but in doing so, he only left an indelible impression that Pip, until the end hasn't really come to terms well with his feelings for Estella yet even when he had already thought of giving his affection and loyalty to Biddy, though we all know his plan didn't materialize well but still, how woozy must your heart be, Mr. Pip?

But I guess that's just how love is, it always leaves us none the wiser. I still very much enjoyed the book though. It imposed in me a couple of contradictory emotions that would otherwise be daunting if it wasn't for Dickens's fine storytelling.
amqzong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amqzong.html

Post by amqzong »

The plot is interesting, but I've always felt that Estella is underdeveloped as a character.
claire03957878
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire03957878.html

Post by claire03957878 »

Jkrasy wrote:I have been wanting to read this book, or just any Dickens. I need to get on that.
Absolutely! Dickens is an amazing aritist with words. I used Great Expectations as the basis for my research on my Honours essay and I loved dissecting the text. He paints amazing images of places and people with his words.
audre_child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audre-child.html

Post by audre_child »

I greatly enjoyed reading this for the second time. I struggled through the book the first time, but after reading it the second time, I found I enjoyed depth of the novel.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Great Expectations was one of Dickens' later novels - only Our Mutual Friend and The Mystery of Edwin Drood came later - but not one of his best, in my opinion. For me, David Copperfield and Bleak House stand as Dickens' greatest accomplishments. His own favorite was, in fact, Copperfield. Every character is painted with such feeling and concern for detail - even Uriah Heep, who is one of Dickens' greatest antagonists.

Bleak House is one of the greatest works of literature in the English language. The scope and structure of this novel are positively amazing, and repeated readings will yield previously undiscovered gems.

Read Great Expectations if you want to read a great novel by one of the greatest English novelists. Read DC and BH if you want to be lost, amazed, and supremely impressed by a great writer working at the very apex of his abilities.
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Greenehawk7

Post by Greenehawk7 »

It's been well over a year since I read this book but it remains still one of the best books I've read yet. It was simply astounding how Dickens transformed Pip from a child to the man we sadly said good-bye to on the last page. The characters were deep and impressionable to your mind. Each had their own story which interwove with the others. GE had everything and more needed for a truly astounding coming of age story. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading, no matter if classics are not their cup of tea.
LindaMacai

Post by LindaMacai »

I read this in high school and only did so because I had to. Might have to give it another try as my perspective has changed quite a bit since then
tennent10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tennent10.html

Post by tennent10 »

Great Expectations is one of my favorites. It is a great example of character growth and plot progression. Which Dickens implements in almost every one of his books.
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

This book is a life-changer for me. For some reason, I did not have to read this in high-school. I only just recently picked it up, but it was all for the best. There were so many things I learned from this book. It just goes to show that Charles Dickens never ceases to impress and deliver.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
sugarcherie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarcherie.html

Post by sugarcherie »

I also agree, this book is one of my favorite classic novels, and the original film adaptation circa 1940s is a great watch if you're into classic black and white films. I first read this story as an assignment in the 9th grade. While I didn't fully appreciate the novel back then, I have re-read it in adulthood and find it to be a phenomenal literary work. I also understood why the teaching staff would assign such reading to a group of 14 year olds; Pip's journey through adolescence to becoming a young gentleman provides many key moral lessons that the youth of today can benefit from.
samanthas2686
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthas2686.html

Post by samanthas2686 »

It is an amazing story. It was an easy read with a lot of meaning in it. Pip seems to go thru alot in the story but is greatful.
pt_12

Post by pt_12 »

I like it. The characters and ideas have always been engaging for me. The ending is off-putting sometimes.
griffinhe2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griffinhe2.html

Post by griffinhe2 »

I remember reading this to my Dad when I was very young. I think I missed some key parts... thanks for the reminder! I've been wanting to re-read this for a while now.

Return to “Classic Books”