Anna Karenina - contains spoilers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sisterkaramazov
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sisterkaramazov.html

Re: Anna Karenina

Post by sisterkaramazov »

I think so too-Anna was such an integral part of the whole novel, but I felt by the end her death was anti-climatic. A lot of literary critics think that Tolstoy based Levin on himself, but I have a feeling that there was more Tolstoy in Anna. Maybe the whole sequence where Levin thinks to himself that Anna is a fallen woman not fit to be in his wife's (Kitty's) presence was self=flagellation?
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I haven't read the book yet, but going through and reading the posts have made me even more interested in reading the book!
Faina

Post by Faina »

I love this book! I agree with the above poster: it's really frustrating when movies leave out Levin and Kitty's story, because I feel that Levin's slow journey really balances out some of the more depressing aspects of Anna's story. But it is rather hard to show thinking on the big screen: I envision a lot of shots of Levin staring moodily into space.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

I got about half way through this book and stopped. Usually if a book bores me, I can force myself to keep reading in the hopes that it will get better. Not this book. I have been half way through this book for over a year now. I just can't seem to make myself pick it up again. It's not that it has a terrible story line or characters, but I can only read about the farmland for so long before my attention is drawn elsewhere. Perhaps once I'm finished reading the current novel I'm on, I can pick up Anna Karenina again and finish it!
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I have always wanted to read this book. It seems like people either really like it a lot or don't like it at all. I have started this book a couple of times, and end up not getting too far. I plan to try again when I have more time to devote to the book as it is definitely on my 'to read' list.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
Amberle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

I really enjoyed this book, and pretty much everything I've read of Tolstoy's has entertained me. One of my favorite details of his style is his use of symbol, and on that note I just love how Anna Karenina beginnins and ends with train scenes, and how Tolstoy even used the words for 'train' in various languages to give negativity to certain lines of dialogue.

I would love to improve my Russian enough to read it untranslated!
bashirp
Currently Reading: Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bashirp »

Hi all!

I am currently reading this book (am at the beginning of part 6/8) and am really enjoying it. Great to read on the London Underground when it's crowded.

I read the author's description of Levin and Kitty's wedding and it really had impact. The book is a little slow in parts, not surprising for a book of this size but it has clearly held my attention. Being a book written in a previous century, I thought it would be difficult to make sense of but this was not the case.

I'll actually be sad to reach the end, already sensing it probably won't turn out well for poor Anna!

And then the question of what to read next ...
christiecotcamp

Post by christiecotcamp »

I decided to read this after I saw the film because I thought the film was so beautiful. Believe me, it felt like it took me an eternity to read it but after reading it I felt I could read anything---seriously. The Russian literature is so beautiful and even though it took so long for me to read it, it was worth it. It is an amazing story and Leo Tolstoy really makes you feel like you know the characters. Don't give up reading it---it is truly a deep read but you won't regret it!
Love_2_Read
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-2-read.html

Post by Love_2_Read »

I must start reading this book again. I started reading it, but kept getting distracted.... sounds like a must read!
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I have neither read the book nor seen any film version; this thread is moving the book up on my list to be read!
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
WhynottBlog
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whynottblog.html

Post by WhynottBlog »

I picked this book up at an airport in high school, trying to seem super intellectual and all. My original goal was to finish it before I graduated. That was nearly seven years ago. So then I amended my goal to before I graduated college. That was two years ago. Now the goal is just some time before I die.

I've read the first part twice now. Every time I pick it up I'm reminded how much I love the story and the characters and the writing. But then around page 150 or so, I think about all the other books I'm not reading and I start to get a bit of ADD. I should pick it back up. Maybe I will tonight. You've all inspired me!

Also, I must have been the only person left on the planet who didn't know how it ended, but the Rory FREAKING Gilmore spoiled it for me! :P
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I started reading this book last week and so far I'm really enjoying it. I wasn't expecting it to be so easy to get into and that its narrative would have this flow. However, I still don't know how I feel about Anna ... I'm not sure I like her, at least for now ...
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

If you're looking to have a good romance-crushing weekend, you should read, in succession: Anna Karenina then Madame Bovary. Such a delicious antiparallel duo.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

The movie was absolutely incredible! It remains one of my favorites.

However, I found the book to be a little dry. I think that it loses some substance in the translation.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html

Post by AnaF »

I've already finished Anna Karenina (actually it's been a while since I've finished but I forgot to post here) and I have to say, I liked but I wasn't blown away by it. I gave 4 stars on Goodreads.

I didn't like Anna that much and I thought that she wasn't a strong character. There were others shining a lot more.

Return to “Classic Books”