Anna Karenina - contains spoilers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Re: Anna Karenina

Post by E-Frapp »

It took two readings for me to fall in love with this book. I was too young to appreciate it the first time. It's such a beautiful, tragic story. I'm interested in seeing the new movie version. I love the 1948 movie.
KateCrRdr
Favorite Author: Joe Dispenza
Favorite Book: Breaking your habit for being yourself
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katecrrdr.html
fav_author_id: 6757

Post by KateCrRdr »

That book about the love of woman, about what is the real woman's love that sweeps away all the principles in its path.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I'm not going to lie to you folks, this books is NOT my cup of tea. I would love to know some specifics about what it was that made you enjoy it so much. It is entirely possible that either is missed something that would make me like it or that it really just isn't for me but I'd love some more insight! Thanks.
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
AL150N
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AL150N »

I loved the novel and hated the film. Like many have said, it is upsetting that poor Levin doesn't get his part of the story told in the film version at all. I always felt that the novel was more Levin's story than Anna's anyway.
psdoerksen
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psdoerksen.html

Post by psdoerksen »

Book 8, chapters 8-14, which describe the Levin’s existential struggle and epiphany, were worth the long build-up. Of course, there are plenty of intrinsic delights to Tolstoy’s narrative, but I love finding these moments where the whole spiritual thrust is made clear and articulate. Levin’s innocent confusion at Russian politics and his sincere pursuit of living fairly with the peasants light this book up; everything else is but the darkness that gives the glow its shine.

“Their ideas seemed to him fruitful when he was reading or was himself seeking arguments to refute other theories, especially those of the materialists; but as soon as he began to read or sought for himself a solution of problems, the same thing always happened. As long as he followed the fixed definition of obscure words such as spirit, will, freedom, essence, purposely letting himself go into the snare of words the philosophers set for him, he seemed to comprehend something. But he had only to forget the artificial train of reasoning, and to turn from life itself to what had satisfied him while thinking in accordance with the fixed definitions, and all this artificial edifice fell to pieces at once like a house of cards, and it became clear that the edifice had been built up out of those transposed words, apart from anything in life more important than reason.” (Book 8, ch. 9)
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Wouldn't it be lovely to be independently wealthy and make the books we love into movies we like! i think about that everytime i see a book made into a movie. It's probably best that I'm not rich... I wouldn't stay that way for long.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Maria Luisa
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1665">What am I doing here</a>
Currently Reading: Neither here nor there - Travels in Europe
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Maria Luisa »

Wonderful, wonderful book! Great story. I reread it many times but I loved it from the first time I read it. I loved how the characters are described, I loved Levin and Anna. I saw a movie on you tube: now I don't remember the year but I think It's the best of all for the choice of the characters (Helen McCrory playing Anna). I saw some sequences of the movie with Sophie Marceau and Keira Knightly playing Anna but though they are pretty women, I didn't like them in that part, they are too much thiny, skinny.
giadapugliese
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by giadapugliese »

I always wanted to read this book but everyone here keeps on telling me it is too hard to understand, is it true? I honestly don't think so..
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

giadapugliese wrote:I always wanted to read this book but everyone here keeps on telling me it is too hard to understand, is it true? I honestly don't think so..
Never mind what people say it's a fabulous book. I read it first in my teens & had no problem understanding it but as with most of the classics when you reread it later in life you find so much more depth to it. At it's essence is one of the great love stories in literature. Go ahead & come back and share your view of it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Maria Luisa
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1665">What am I doing here</a>

Post by Maria Luisa »

I agree with you, Fran. And besides, Giada, who on heart can tell us what we can understand or not? It is nice to share our literary preferences and experiences,it is the purpose this forum is made for, but then we have to try and discover by ourselves if we understand, like etc.
Gnj
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by Gnj »

I just finished reading this book today - my first book of 2016, and what a book to begin the new year with.

I was gripped from the first few pages. Tolstoy's characters are so well created, with incredible depth and perception. The novel has it all: romance, philosophy, religion, politics and society. Yet these concepts are so beautifully intertwined with the characters lives, that after finishing the novel you feel like you have been through a tremendous journey yourself.

(SPOILER BELOW)

Yes, Anna is self-indulgent, even selfish, but I still loved her. I felt so sorry for her throughout the story, despite the fact that she was indeed responsible for many of her misfortunes. I can't say what endeared me most towards her - I guess, for me, she simply portrayed the internal battle of women during those times, especially in high society, as well as this odd emotion that we call love, and the difficult paths it can force us onto. Even towards the end, during her descent into paranoia, my heart went out to her. Her ability to wear a pretty mask in front of society, yet struggle with her demons in the same breath is a battle many of us can relate to. I felt her ending was appropriate. I have become a bit tired of these countless 'happy endings' and I felt that her suicide, although a form of revenge against Vronsky, also highlighted her own depths of despair.

Levin was the other character who really came to light. I really saw myself in a lot of his struggles. He seemed to be the gleaming jewel against the backdrop of conformity and shallowness that overwhelmed the rest of the high society. He battled with some truly human struggles, and although I was a bit uncertain with the saviour that he managed to find in the end, I felt that he was a character who we could all learn from.

Having finished, and so enjoyed this novel, I am seriously considering giving War and Peace a go - something that I never dared touch for fear of it going over my head. It would be great to hear if someone has read both novels, and what their opinion has been of each.
hedda gabler 46 wrote:
AnaF wrote:I started reading this book last week and so far I'm really enjoying it. I wasn't expecting it to be so easy to get into and that its narrative would have this flow. However, I still don't know how I feel about Anna ... I'm not sure I like her, at least for now ...

I think your observation is very insightful...Anna is like Marmite ,either you love her or you hate her.She's self absorbed,attention seeking, and if you think about it quite pretentious .just another bored housewife with too much time on her hands...but she has to pay a heavy price for her grand passion...while Vronsky's being a man gets him off the hook every time.However what makes Anna such a great heroine is her capacity to provoke reactions from the readers and that surely was Tolstoy's purpose...
I absolutely agree with your last point; every time the chapters turn towards her, I find myself obsessed with her, almost as much as the rest of the characters are. She is certainly a very interesting woman.
giadapugliese wrote:I always wanted to read this book but everyone here keeps on telling me it is too hard to understand, is it true? I honestly don't think so..
I thought the same but once I decided to give it a go, I was surprised at how easy it was to slip into the story. I personally find Tolstoy's writing, as well as his presentation of his characters to be beautifully done, so that you are hooked from the first few pages. I would recommend giving the first few chapters a try at least - if you are able to keep going, I think you are in for a wonderful ride.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@Gnj
Excellent post, I really enjoyed reading your review.
War & Peace is also one I hold dear - I know there is rather a lot of the "war" part but it too has all the elements that create memorable characters and IMO it's worth working at the war elements to get a really rounded picture of the period & the influences that motivate and mould the characters & determine their lives. I hope you decide to read War & Peace and that you let us know you opinion in due course.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Maria Luisa

Post by Maria Luisa »

I think it was not nice to write how the book will finish, since Giada told she was going to read it. :?
Is this a discussion forum only for people who have already read a book? What do you think about it?
Gnj
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by Gnj »

Maria Luisa wrote:I think it was not nice to write how the book will finish, since Giada told she was going to read it. :?
Is this a discussion forum only for people who have already read a book? What do you think about it?
Apologies, I've just tried to edit my post but was unable to. I wasn't able to find any spoiler function anywhere either.

I am so sorry if I ruined anything for you - I would be very grateful if anyone else would be able to edit my post instead.
Maria Luisa

Post by Maria Luisa »

HI! It is all right for me. I have already read "Anna Karenina". I am new on this forum and I am still trying to see my way clear in it. Besides I am using it to improve my English too, so sorry if I was a bit harsh. I liked your post.

Return to “Classic Books”