Shakespeare--a new must

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thegusyoung
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegusyoung.html

Re: Shakespeare--a new must

Post by Thegusyoung »

I couldn't agree more, not just because of the brain stimulus, but because Shakespeare plays such a key role in our understanding of modern literature. A surprising amount of authors make references to plot lines and characters from famous Shakespearian works, expecting that we understand the references which are, more often than not, key to an understanding of the deeper plot structure and meaning. I highly recommend the "Barnes and Noble Shakespeare" for anyone who is looking into reading his plays. They offer large amounts of contextual notes and translations, making it very easy to follow. Also, anyone with a Netflix should look into the BBC versions of his plays, since they are meant to be seen and not read, after all.
PeterQ

Post by PeterQ »

I've always found it hard to try to work out a preference for Shakespeare's tragedies or comedies.
Ashah Taylor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashah-taylor.html

Post by Ashah Taylor »

I love reading Shakespeare. I'm getting a collection of all of his work for Christmas so this is just another excuse to read it :mrgreen:
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

Reading thru these posts inspires me to read some Shakespeare - I have to say I haven't read much of his works, but now I think I need to!
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
KssioAug

Post by KssioAug »

Never read Shakespeare, and english is not even my 1st language. However I believe its plays should be read at its original language... seems to me that its complexity is also its brightness. I got at Amazon Kindle Store two free e-books of shakespare: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Othello"... one of those is recommended to new Shakespeare readers? (and also to someone that do not have a so good english)
breezy77

Post by breezy77 »

KssioAug......
Reading a play that is translated can never be the same, I agree (I feel that way about having to read Pablo Neruda's poetry in English). However, with Shakespeare you might benefit from reading some of it in your language first, and perhaps watching a play (tons on Netflix, etc). THEN try it in English. Or just dive in and start, I think the critic Harold Bloom mentioned that people are often reluctant to read Shakespeare because of the difficulty of language, but urged them to just start reading. Then the reader will usually pick up more than they expected. I purchased a dictionary of Shakespearean language, so every odd word and phrase is in there and it's quite useful.

After reading this thread I'm inspired to meet Will again. I'm staring at him on my shelf right now, I think he wants out.
rachellinn
Favorite Author: Vladimir Nabokov
Favorite Book: Lolita or Speak Memory
Currently Reading: Vera by Stacy Schiff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachellinn.html
fav_author_id: 2572

Post by rachellinn »

Huh. This is really interesting because I would say I've learned the most new words from Shakespeare, doing just that, really: reading something new and not understanding the context of a word and having to look it up. I think that's one of the things that makes him so hard for new readers, because they're not used to that yet. But definitely for me, the more Shakespeare I read, the easier it gets. So you've just gotta give the Bard a chance! :)
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

One of the best short blurbs on this subject is in the OP:

"Read more Shakespeare and become more smarter"

Who can arguer?
KssioAug

Post by KssioAug »

Thanks for your response breezy77; I decided to read "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (public domain) at Kindle and I was able to understand the play history completely! I'm happy with that because I admit that it wasnt an easy task, and I had to re-read (some times more than once) some dialogues and consult the dictionary (specially the archaic verbs) to understand it well. But I managed it and never read or heard the story before at my main language. I trully enjoyed the reading, and will buy another recommended play in near future! Thanks!
rusthc09

Post by rusthc09 »

Absolutely agree with the theory that reading Shakespeare expands readers intellectual ability. I teach Romeo and Juliet to VERY reluctant fourteen and fifteen year-old students. By Act V they are professionals and translating the "old school" language. You have to get through the awful, ignorant comments of "why-can't-they-just-speak-English", but seeing their vocabulary and grammar improve while they are unsuspecting of any intellectual growth makes all of the whining worth it. You can't let kids get through high school without reading Shakespeare-- you would be doing them a disservice!!! The struggle of Shakespeare is worth it-- you see his plot lines EVERYWHERE in media, literature, advertisements..... If it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger!
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

An absolute must! Read a little every day - you will soon become addicted and your life will be enriched beyond your wildest dreams!

-- 18 Apr 2014, 02:52 --

It is only in the alphabet that B must of necessity follow A

Bernard Levin
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

FeManJay wrote:There was a study done recently by a gentleman who urges everyone to read more works by Shakespeare. His study started as a curiosity on how the brain reacts to Shakespearean prose, and ended with some fascinating and inspiring results. William Shakespeare often misuses nouns and verbs to great effect. However, this causes some interesting changes in the brain. There are two different parts of the brain that deal with noun usage and verb usage. When you are learning in elementary school nouns and verbs, you are teaching your brain. When you learn a new language, you are ingraining that new information into your brain as well.
There is something called the N400 which describes the 400 nanosecond response to something that your brain believes does not make sense. There is also something called the N600 which describes the 600 nanosecond response to something that your brain recognizes as something that does not make grammatical sense but still makes sense in its meaning. Usually your brain has the N400 response or the N400 in tandem with the N600. However, whilst conducting this study, they found that some phrases Shakespeare uses only inspire the N600 response. This is a rare phenomenon that has been proven to open new path ways in the brain and cause you to increase your ability to learn new things as well as your level of intelligence. In conclusion? Read more Shakespeare and become more smarter. :wink:
So while this wasn't really a review for a book, I do think it qualifies for this section because I urge everyone to go pick up a copy of your favorite Shakespearean work, or even a brand new one. Because there is no easier way to increase your intelligence than by reading a tragedy/history/comedy/romance.

I have loved Shakespeare since high school, now I know why. I really enjoy learning new things about the brain so this is great information. :D
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

I didn't care for Romeo and Juliet but maybe that was due to it being over done. Im more towards A Midsummer Night's Dream and MacBeth.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
Sianselina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sianselina.html

Post by Sianselina »

And it does make it easier to express yourself if you read a lot of Willy's
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

subzerowon wrote:I didn't care for Romeo and Juliet but maybe that was due to it being over done. Im more towards A Midsummer Night's Dream and MacBeth.
Not to mention Romeo and Juliet is a relative bore. Come on, banal teenager love story versus crazed supernatural love triangles? octahedron? Honestly, there's just no comparison.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Return to “Classic Books”