Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thesnowleopard
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... amilias</a>
Currently Reading: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowleopard.html

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by thesnowleopard »

I think that Darcy was meddling, much like Lizzy, and blinded by his own prejudices. While the descriptions indicate that one of them represents Pride (Darcy) and the other Prejudice (Lizzy), much as the sisters in Sense and Sensibility, they really both suffer from the two title elements. And I do think that Darcy fully redeems himself in the final part of the book, so it makes sense Lizzy would accept his second proposal.

But I also think it's entirely in character and justified for Lizzy to refuse him the first time. For one thing, both he and Charlotte are projecting a tad on Jane, albeit for opposite reasons, and Darcy in particular is being contradictory in his judgment of Jane. Darcy and Charlotte guard their emotions every bit as much as Jane, while Darcy judges Jane because he feels Jane is faking it (something Charlotte is actually encouraging Lizzy to tell Jane to do) even as he leaves Lizzy completely in the dark until he blindsides her with that first, backhanded, proposal. He is just as guarded as Jane, and is judgmental of the rest of Lizzy's family for being *too* honest about their feelings, yet he judges Jane for being too guarded. So, he has to learn to be less of a hypocrite to win Lizzy over.

For another thing, one of Lizzy's best traits is her loyalty to her family and what does he do that entire first proposal? Insult them. Of course she wouldn't accept him under those circumstances and we should think less of her if she did.

I think that Darcy doesn't really understand at first what is going on with Lizzy's family because his own is so superficial and cold. When he's first introduced, he's a socially awkward bore who manages to offend the easy-going rural community in which Lizzy and her family live. He's tolerated because he's a rich and well-connected bore, but they still gossip about his rudeness behind his back (including Lizzy, who's front and center in the pitchfork party). Later, when we meet his aunt, Lady Catherine De Bourgh, we start to see where he got the idea that was acceptable behavior. Once he falls in love with Lizzy, and becomes aware of these other people who aren't such arrogant prats, he starts to change and become a better person.
ramydul11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 263

Post by ramydul11 »

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classical book. Every time I read it, I like it even more.
duansmith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by duansmith »

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. u may copy it, give it away or re use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook.
Victor Zuanazzi

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

I am reading it now!

I must say, it is not my favorite kind of reading, but I am really enjoying it. Jane has amazing writing skills! It is worth just for sense of humor, let's see the rest.

It is the book of the month for my blog (classics4classics.wixsite.com/classics4classics/blog) any suggestions of good reviews or posts about the book? with or without spoilers!

Thanks!
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

I absolutely love anything by Jane Austin! Some more than others, I have to admit. I am not a huge fan of Emma, but mostly because I despise the character. I try and reread one of them annually
thesnowleopard

Post by thesnowleopard »

Yeah, I'm not an Emma fan, either. It was as if Austen was experimenting with writing a POV character whom she would normally do as a comic foil or caricature of a snobby young woman. It's only partially successful (though I did like Clueless as an adaptation), not least because in order to grow as a person, she has to be knocked off her high horse and humiliated at one point and that's uncomfortable to read or watch.

I also have never made it through Northanger Abby, though I may try again.
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

I loved Northanger Abby, it's worth it to try again. I loved Clueless, but felt like the character there evolved more than Emma did. Emma seems oblivious to her own shortcomings
thesnowleopard

Post by thesnowleopard »

I will. I'm curious about the satire-of-Gothic-literature aspect. I think it was just that I was at the end of a Jane Austen binge at the time and it's a lesser work than Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, or Sense and Sensibility.
kbrook1981
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbrook1981.html

Post by kbrook1981 »

Although I am an Austen fan, I agree that Pride and Prejudice does not present the most highly developed characters. In my opinion, Emma gives us a more developed "cast" of characters.
Tolive-notexist

Post by Tolive-notexist »

I loved teaching P&P to my ninth graders last year. She spoke from experience about a society so emmersed in social niceties that the development of relationships was stilted. Even the boys thought it was interesting and that's no mean feat - Go Jane!

Northanger Abbey will always be my favorite though.
thesnowleopard

Post by thesnowleopard »

Persuasion is the Austen book I like the best. And I loved the adaptation with Ciaran Hinds. They were a perfect "mature" couple getting a second chance.
writerswrite123
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerswrite123.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by writerswrite123 »

It was indeed a great book . The first impression of the egoistic Mr. darcy and how fell in love with my favourite lizzy ,whom by first impression he did'nt even like . the book had quite interesting turn of events , describing the typical mother's of my country INDIA
thesnowleopard

Post by thesnowleopard »

It's funny how much crosses cultural lines, universal or not. Even allowing for the British occupation of India for a century, the cultures of India and the cultures of the British Isles are pretty different, yet a two-hundred-year-old Englishwoman still makes sense to both.
Han_akley
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Han_akley »

I picked up P&P after trying to get through it a few summers ago. Let's just say that it pulled me in this time! I thought the distinctions and differences of the main characters were very well laid out. Some of the family ties were blurry to me, however I was reading at a fast pace because i could not wait for Lizzie and Darcy to meet again! I read with a dictionary close by and that proved to be handy with this book, as the language of the time can be confusing. Overall, I loved the characters. This book taught me to slow down and not be hasty or rash in making decisions or forming opinions.
Meagan Ashley
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meagan-ashley.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Meagan Ashley »

As cliche as it is, I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. Especially for Pride & Prejudice. I just think about what it was like to be a woman author back in her day, and the stories she wrote were considered improper and scandalous yet she did them anyways. Austen was her own hero especially to women today. But not only that, she's quite funny! Love and Friendship, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility are all such wonderfully told and beautiful books with a sense of humor which I am a HUGE fan of. On top of all of that, she was an intelligent woman. Sometimes I have to read a page more than once because I didn't fully understand it the first time I read it.

Return to “Classic Books”