Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SirTyler
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirtyler.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by SirTyler »

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I have read it at least 15 times total, and will often go back and reread it if I run out of books I find engaging, or if I just need some quality writing to read. Usually, when I go back to read it over again, I wind up reading several other Austin works in a row. The dialogue is so clear and witty, and the humor so often dry, that I find myself laughing out loud multiple times in each book.
aarchul2
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarchul2.html

Post by aarchul2 »

I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I definitely prefer it over Sense and Sensibility. There were moments when I asked myself if that was really necessary and if the part was needed in the story, but I still enjoyed the overall story. I also like that Austen's stories all end happily (for the most part, stupid Willaby). I also enjoy that they have a general moral sense to them. I was also told by one of my professors that her books are meant to be satire and make fun of everything that happened during that time.
booklver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =10102">An Ember in the Ashes</a>
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by booklver »

I absolutely love this book. I find myself swept along with the characters and the time period. I am sadden others did not find it so enjoyable. I have read this book several times and still just love it. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are a classic and timeless couple that never fails to inspire us who married our own Mr. Darcy.
Blubea

Post by Blubea »

I loved Pride and Prejudice. I read it for school so we analysed it a lot, which was both good and bad. It was great because there were a lot of hidden meanings that I wouldn't otherwise have spotted. On the other hand, it can be annoying to analyse while you are reading, instead of just enjoying the book. However, I think overall, analysing this book really revealed a lot of complexity in the characters and shows a lot about the historical context.
Mother
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 07">Goblin Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Passing Bells
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Mother »

I love all things Jane Austen. Granted, "Pride and Prejudice" is not my favorite book by her (or my 2nd or 3rd favorite, even), but I still adore it. Sometimes I see reviews on Amazon that are 1 star, followed up with a sentence such as, "Couldn't follow it. Don't understand what's so great about it." That makes me sad, because it is so complex and lovely! The commentary on society and a woman's place in it at the time complements the romance. Overall, I think both the observations on class and gender are timeless. ^^
Victoria_99

Post by Victoria_99 »

I don't really understand Austin. Maybe I'm just too spoiled.
MaryLisboa
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Eragon</a>
Currently Reading: Evil Under the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylisboa.html
Reading Device: B00CFV45KS
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by MaryLisboa »

I am just in love with this book. I can't help it. It is too human for not to love. Mr. Darcy is so odd, and grumpy all the time that when he reveals his feelings for Liz seems almost desperate. And her love for him is so circumstantial that after everything can't avoid loving him back when she found out about what and why he has done. And Elizabeth herself is a so strong character, so independent, so ahead of her time! It really makes me feel proud of her for some reason.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

I agree with your Review. Persuasion is my favorite Austin novel, followed by Emma. Although P&P has the best screen adaptations and some truly great "comedy of errors" scenes, the characters are fairly one dimensional.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I have read this book so many times that I'm pretty sure I can quote it! I love the world that Austen for these characters and I can't help but fall in love with them even more each time that I read it.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

P&P was written as popular fiction and it has the same type of unidimensional characters you'd expect from that genre. See the twilight series for examples. I feel that Austin wrote what people wanted to read at that time, to sell copies. I believe at this time, she was solely supporting her family through her writing. Even as basically throw away fiction, though, we are still reading it! Her talent shown through.

Persuasion is my favorite, written as a work of love to her art as she lay dying.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
aybige

Post by aybige »

I did not like this. It is very boring book. :/ Austen's books are written like reports not like novels. No emotions, no action. I could not end this book.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

A great book no question, but I personally preferred Sense and Sensibility. Cared more for the two sisters there. But any given Austen book is a treat. Some comments on this last page about her being comparable to Twilight's creator, or like a reporter are fair enough as honest opinions but certainly not what I agree with.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Tone1
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tone1.html

Post by Tone1 »

Pride and Prejudice was a delicious surprise for me the first time I read it.

I try to re-read or listen to it on audio every few years so I can remember just how much I adored this story.
Joy77
Currently Reading: Sometimes Never
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy77.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Joy77 »

Hi,

I liked this Jane Austin book, but its the only one I read so far haha. But even if some of the caractars are nitwiths some scens just had me lauging out loud. The marrige proposal for exempel. And when I think to what time it was written and how she lived herself (Jane Austin) I can se how she was ahead of her time and thought women had a right to choices too.
I am currantly on a mission to read more classical books and this was one of my first so I guess it holds a special place in my heart.
disneygirl90
Currently Reading: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneygirl90.html

Post by disneygirl90 »

I love Pride and Prejudice. It still is one of my favorite books. There is something special about the way Austen wrote her characters. To me, you could feel how passionate she was about writing and how close she kept her characters in her heart. She paved the way for not only female writers but the romance genre in general.

Return to “Classic Books”