Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by raindropwriter »

I loved pride and prejudice! Not a fan of Jane austen but this book is a masterpiece. I especially loved the name Darcy. :P Story managed to stir my heart and I have been craving to read another book like pride and prejudice since then. :)
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Pride and Prejudice will probably always be one of my favorite books. I own most of the movies as well and watch them often as do my girls. I may have to dig out the novel and read it once again this summer.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

I absolutely love this book! I re read it for the love of Mr. Darcy :D
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I tried to read it in early highschool and got bored. Went back- fell in love and have read it about five times since.
schnuze

Post by schnuze »

Oh, how much I love Pride and Prejudice. I went to Bath about two years ago. There I visited the hose, Jane Austen lived in. I didn't know anything about her and her books back then, but I decided to buy some. The first one I read, was persuasion. As my English skills were limited, I found it hard to read and quite confusing. But I went through it nevertheless. When I finished, I read up on Austen online and found that Pride and Prejudice is her most famous work. What can i say: I started reading, when I was on a skiing trip. Finished the whole book in one week and fell immediately in love with it.
I remember laughing out loud at that one scene where Darcy declares her love to her, while she is deeply annoyed and angry. Just hilarious.
And is it just me or does Austen have a very agreeable way of telling us what proper behaviour looked like back then, without being moralistic?
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

This is an excellent book and one of my all time favorites. It has the romance that any girl would love coupled with a strong and stubborn female character that I think was really ahead of its time. That is really all you see in romantic comedies these days so they may be to blame for some feelings of blandness or been-there-done-that. The other characters are a tad bit stereotypical (i.e, the pretty sister, overbearing mother, charming man) but relatable and entertaining nonetheless.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
Enijmas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Post by Enijmas »

The only couple for whom I constantly try to search for a sequel which could match the high expectations set by Austen; I just cannot get enough of them. (:
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books and I can't tell you guys how many times I've read it. I love Jane Austen's writing style and the fact that she subtly made fun of the proper women's role with Elizabeth's character. I also really enjoy the conflict between her and Darcy, but always smile when they get it together in the end.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I loved that book! I remember getting it as a pocketbook in a set, I think they sell those at barnes and noble still they have all the classics in one box
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Salma Siddiqui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

I'm also pretty late to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice! But I have to say that I was surprised at how truly funny the book is. I was not expecting for each sister's voice to be so uniquely her own. Lydia, Kitty, and Mrs. Bennet were especially entertaining to me. I am surprised that many readers on this page found the book dull or unenlightening. I like that Lizzy is a defiantly unique woman. Whether it's walking in the road to the Bingleys' home or refusing Mr. Collins' hand, she gets what she wants by making her own choices, not the ones that her mother wishes for her. However, she is not rude or selfish in this way; she is a determined woman.
cjmayes118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjmayes118.html

Post by cjmayes118 »

Pride and Prejudice can be a hard book to become interested in at first. However, once the plot begins to develop, it can quickly become a favorite. I absolutely adore how Mr. Darcy acts so bashfully and how Lizzy is so opinionated. The book is simply amazing and will always be one of my favorites!
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'm very fond of Pride and Prejudice, though I agree with the original poster in that I preferred Persuasion. I like the way Lizzy is played against the rest of her family, all of whom represent some other trope of female characters (well, aside from her father, who just laughs at all of them). To the person who said that the novel could have been more feminist, I'd just like to say that this was written well before feminism was considered a thing. Feminism is a very recent idea, and one that Jane Austen wouldn't have heard of, though I like to think she would have supported it if she lived now.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

RussetDivinity wrote: To the person who said that the novel could have been more feminist, I'd just like to say that this was written well before feminism was considered a thing. Feminism is a very recent idea, and one that Jane Austen wouldn't have heard of, though I like to think she would have supported it if she lived now.
Well the word and the notion of a political philosophy may not have arisen until the late 19th/ early 20th century, but - for instance - Jane Austen was in her teens when Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Women was published, so it is not as though there was no argument for women's rights going on at the time.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
BethOBrien
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethobrien.html

Post by BethOBrien »

This is one of my favourite books. Jane Austen is so funny and witty. Her characters are all so masterfully drawn and she does a great job using them to provide biting social commentary. I love Mr. Bennett so much. His character has so many layers.
curlybookworm
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curlybookworm.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by curlybookworm »

I am a certified Jane Austen fan! and I loved Pride and Prejudice! I've encountered some modern type of Mr. Darcy in the last few years, haha! I just can't help my own prejudice LOL!
"With freedom, BOOKS, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" ~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Classic Books”