Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cnorwood72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by cnorwood72 »

I agree that as far as Austen's works, Pride and Prejudice is not one of my favorites. I became a bit bored and was disappointed that it was not as satisfying as Persuasion. I, too, have decided that I am more a fan of Bronte.
ConnectiveStardust
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connectivestardust.html

Post by ConnectiveStardust »

Mr. Darcy was the first character I ever fell in love with. Since then there have been many, but I'll always remember my first.
jenbel
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenbel.html
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann

Post by jenbel »

I must confess...I saw the movie before I read the book. Usually a preferable order as the movie always ruins the book for me. I fell in love with the line "you have bewitched me body and soul". And even though Darcy didn't actually speak this line in the book...it's still one of my favorites.

My daughter and I watch the movie all the time... she loves it, but I doubt I'll ever get her to read the novel.
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I love Pride and Prejudice. It's one of the few books that I actually read over and over. I really like the beginning of the book. I think it does a great job of setting the stage. I find Austen's books often have good beginnings.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

I've watched the movie a few times and I've read the book many times. It's one of my favorite books. However, I think most of Austen's novels though follow a similar style and plot (ex. Sense and Sensibility).
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I love this book, and not only because it holds a special place in my heart. It was really the first "classic" book that I read for pure enjoyment, and it completely changed my perspective regarding literature. Someone once pointed out to me that Austen's characters are never described physically. It is solely their actions that give us insight, as opposed to their mannerisms. I think it is absolutely brilliant on Austen's part, and the novel itself is both wonderfully romantic and insightful.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

You did better than me. I've never been able to make it past the first couple of chapters. The launguge makes it difficult for me to really get into the Pride and the Prejudice.
Purplehifigirl

Post by Purplehifigirl »

:lol: I read this book in my youth and longed to be swept off my feet by the young male characters. Thinking back this and others like it read far better than a Hollywood movie could even hope to portray.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I just re-read Pride and Prejudice because I stumbled upon "Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith and wanted to read the original as a refresher. I always enjoy Austen, but must admit that the Zombie version was perhaps easier to understand and follow the story. My husband and I always have a discussion about reading/writing/understanding a book in the time it was written and I think Pride and Prejudice with its emphasis on manners is a book not as easily related to today as it was when it was published. I am sure I will read it again someday :)
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
bascomjean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bascomjean.html

Post by bascomjean »

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of those that, if I'm listening to an audio version, I find myself quoting along with for long sections. So fun! I got a little board book of it for my one-year-old daughter, and she has her version (about ten words long) memorized, too. :D
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I read it once, years ago, and have since seen the recent excellent movie adaptations - so I should probably re-read it, to see what/how much by way of dialogue was lifted directly from the book and how much of what I enjoyed onscreen was crafted by Hollywood ...
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
audre_child
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audre-child.html

Post by audre_child »

Absolutely loved this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Jan Austen. Price and Prejudice is such a classic, and a must-read!
Ida

Post by Ida »

I find that coming back to Jane Austen books and really reading them, paying attention to the dialog and descriptions (I can be a bit of a skim reader!) helps to enjoy all her wit. The banter between the characters and the tongue in cheek attitude of Austen is beguiling. I
Anita Olsen
Currently Reading: Life in a Trashcan World of Warcraft v1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-olsen.html
Latest Review: "Flight from Saddam" by Qasim Albrisem

Post by Anita Olsen »

I love Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite! I have watched all the movies but have not read all her books yet.
Latest Review: "Flight from Saddam" by Qasim Albrisem
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Written well, but you really need to get into that era to be able to enjoy the story.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Return to “Classic Books”