Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
curious_daisy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-daisy.html

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by curious_daisy »

This one definitely took me a while to get into but overall it's a good book hehe :D
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

Initially it can be a little hard to read but you'll definitely love it. It is an amazing classic and my favorite one.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
abcarey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abcarey.html

Post by abcarey »

It took me a long time to finally sit down and read this book. I heard how great the MOVIE was over and over but couldn't bring myself to watch the movie until I had read the book. I felt it was hard to get into at the beginning; not because of the story line but because of the wording/language in the book. However, I definitely was able to get into the book and I am happy I read it, it possibly is even one of my favorite classic reads.
jnp8812

Post by jnp8812 »

This is definitely one of my favorites! The way that she uses dialogue to unveil the characters personalities is expertly done. Her story is both comical and realistic. I am currently rereading it for the fourth time.
MichaelaD
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelad.html

Post by MichaelaD »

An old time favorite and a must read for everyone. It was a bit hard to read in the beginning, but then you get a taste of the book and can't stop reading. I liked the way the author unveils the temper of the characters, loved their dialogues - both funny and real, and I enjoyed the evolution of the characters.
tot2487
Bookshelf Size: 521

Post by tot2487 »

I love this book so much it's kind of absurd. I took a class on Austen in college just so that I could discuss it with other people who would be as interested in it as I am. Elizabeth Bennett may be my favorite character ever written. Even when she's being ridiculous and rude to Mr. Darcy for no real reason, at least she's being funny while she's doing it. And Lydia's plight is still relevant today. These days I use Pride and Prejudice as a sort of "palette cleanser" after I read a book I didn't like. It always puts me back on an even keel.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Oh pride and prejudice is all time favorite book!!My dad introduced me to this awesome author Jane Austen. I have read this book at least a dozen times. It is quite.obvious what Jane Austens opinion was on the customs of those.days. each and every of her book is a.satirical comment.
Life in Fiction
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-life-in-fiction.html

Post by Life in Fiction »

From my experience Austen can be like Marmite - either love it or hate it. Well, not hate, perhaps get bored by it.

I am live within the "love" category, with 'Pride & Prejudice' or P&P, being my favourite. It was the first Austen novel I read and whenever I reread I relish and enjoy every moment. The wit, drama, feeling and writing style entrance me and take me away from my life.

I hope that any newcomers to the world of Austen or P&P will love it too.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

It's a pretty good book! I loved the flow of language and the constant war of words and wit. This 'play' between the main characters seems to me similar to Shakespeare's comedy 'Much Ado About Nothing'. It's a wonderful read and can be more appreciated if one thinks about the era in which it was written.
Elaine_18
Currently Reading: In Custody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-18.html

Post by Elaine_18 »

This book starts slow but it grows on you :)
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I truly hope that you enjoyed this novel! Besides Gone with the Wind, this is my favorite classic novel. I re-read it at least once a year.
HeyMimi
Currently Reading: Berserker Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2356

Post by HeyMimi »

This is one of those classics you just have to have read in your life.

As a young girl (about 12y), I tried reading 'Pride& Prejudice, but had great difficulty with the archaic English (English is not my mother tongue).
I threw it aside after just a few chapters.
A couple of years later I saw one of the movies, finally understood the story and read the book again.
Now, I really enjoy Austen's works, seen (pretty much) all the movie adaptations and am working my way through all her books (again).

-- 06 Jul 2017, 02:51 --

This is one of those classics you just have to have read in your life.

As a young girl (about 12y), I tried reading 'Pride& Prejudice, but had great difficulty with the archaic English (English is not my mother tongue).
I threw it aside after just a few chapters.
A couple of years later I saw one of the movies, finally understood the story and read the book again.
Now, I really enjoy Austen's works, seen (pretty much) all the movie adaptations and am working my way through all her books (again).
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Every couple of years I go back to Pride and Prejudice. I don't really know why. Perhaps it is such a leisured world, where you went to visit a friend or relative and stayed for weeks. No wonder Jane Austen had time to write between tea parties and the odd dance. Something about this grabbed me every time and, of course, I'm not alone. I've just found a book called "Diary of Mr Darcy". It looks hilarious. That's the next on the list!
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

The opening line of this book has always had me captivated. One of the best ways to start a book is that! And it never gets old, and the book has so many quotable lines, it's amazing.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tpop »

By far, one of my favorite books of all time. This is one I have been able to pick up every couple of years and enjoy it just as much as the first time. It is so nice to see all of those that have commented that they feel the same way.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Classic Books”