Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CRaymond
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craymond.html

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by CRaymond »

This is a book I could reread every year. I love the story of Elizabeth and Darcy even if some of the other characters are trying.
sanchari_gh0st
Currently Reading:

Post by sanchari_gh0st »

Mr. Darcy turned out to be the ultimate man by the end of the book, which was quite different from Lizzy's perception of him as pompous and proud in the beginning.
I couldn't help falling in love with Mr. Darcy and also Lizzy made a fabulously energetic and jolly heroine. :D
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

Man oh man. Such a classic story! I think I've read/watched it way more than I care to admit :)
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

My all-time favorite book! I have the BBC mini-series on DVD and probably watch it annually. Last November we watched it with out teenage daughters and I just loved how they laughed at the snarky remarks. It showed me they were really "getting it." I hope they both read it for themselves one day, but the language is a bit of a challenge for them still. But they understand it when it is acted out. A great lesson in how things are not always how they seem. This book is in my Permanent Library.
Christa17_81

Post by Christa17_81 »

That was a great book. I liked it so much I had to watch the movie on netflix. The book is much better.
thesnowleopard
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... amilias</a>
Currently Reading: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowleopard.html

Post by thesnowleopard »

I rewatched the '95 version a few weeks ago and had some good laughs. The mother, in particular, is a slapworthy hoot.
Caroline--1997
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-1997.html

Post by Caroline--1997 »

This is honestly one of my favorite books to read over and over again. It is an epic love story and Elizabeth is a truly understated character. She was far ahead of her time and even now she is a great role model and inspiring women, even though fictional. It has spawned multiple movies and even Pride, Prejudice and Zombies which took elements that I love from the book yet also managed to pleasantly surprise me.
SriellaR09

Post by SriellaR09 »

This is by far the best classic I have ever read! It is truly magical and the title fits in perfectly. I love how the characters come to life right in front of me. It is also good to know how life was like during those times. It makes me feel like going back in time. I'm glad that this book was actually listed in our high school's recommended reading list. It's a must read for every book worm. A beautifully woven story.
BlackRose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackrose.html

Post by BlackRose »

After recently watching Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I went through all the versions that I know of this classic.
All of them has a unique perspective and storytelling, some better than others. While some people prefer the book, others love the movie(s) better. I cannot say I have a favorite. I have my favorite moments in each, but I think as long as they stay true to the original concept even a little, there can be no mistake regarding the end result. Just look at the Zombies... Who would have thought it would work? *cough* Thought the movie is better. *cough*
So which version is your favorite?
KDao
Favorite Author: Robert Galbraith
Currently Reading: Graveyard Book
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdao.html
fav_author_id: 2890

Post by KDao »

This book is my all time favorite. I read it every year around mid-Autumn. Such a great love story, and it's still relatable. Not judging people on their first appearances, crazy overbearing families, societal roles and propriety, and of course, love. Mr. Darcy is so easy to fall in love with, and Mrs. Bennett is just plain hilarious. 10 out of 10, would recommend:)
thesnowleopard
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... amilias</a>
Currently Reading: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowleopard.html

Post by thesnowleopard »

BlackRose, Regina Jeffers has a fun series from the viewpoint of the men in Austin's stories, especially Darcy. I think she even has one where he's a vampire.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

This book is an absolute classic. The author has written many other books . However, this one is by far the best and most famous. There are so many tv shows and blockbuster films made out of Pride and Prejudice. The BBC version is personally my favourite.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I haven't read the novel to be honest, but I've watched many movies based on it, and from what I saw, I guess the novel would be amazing :D
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html

Post by Jeyran Main »

You really have to ! There is much more in the book than in the movie. If you liked the movie you will love the book.
ella_1
Currently Reading: The Lubetkin Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella-1.html

Post by ella_1 »

I love this story in all formats... The book, the BBC series, the Keira Knightly movie and even the awesome Bollywood version, Bride and Prejudice. I read a modern take on the book recently, Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations on other adaptations?

Return to “Classic Books”