Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ragam Mubashshir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragam-mubashshir.html

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by Ragam Mubashshir »

Like many I Hv also liked Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Hv book as well as eBook of d same
Taylorallen945
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taylorallen945 »

I do love this book! In high school I selected it as my primary novel to really delve into and pick apart for a month long project and I still have my old worn out and highlighted copy. It's fun to read what I made of things at 18 and how certain scenes hit me now. I could read it over and over but any time I rave about it to my mom she says she can't get past the first chapter!
aelinrowan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelinrowan.html

Post by aelinrowan »

Pride and Prejudice is definitely one of those books that makes you sit and think for awhile. I've always loved it and it's absolutely in the top 5 of favorite books for me.
kayper
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Fox flight lightfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayper.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by kayper »

I found Elizabeth to be ahead of her time.
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

I read this book 12 years ago, in highschool. I loved it then and thanks to you I'll read it again. Can't say I'm a Jane Austin fan because it's the only Austin book I've read. I'll improve the score soon.
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

I loved the movie and have read most of the book, and am going to try to finish it sometime! I love clean romantic historical fiction like Jane Austen's books.
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Crescentmoon_2007
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon-2007.html

Post by Crescentmoon_2007 »

I felt that it was the best of Jane Austen's works. I agree with the characters and found it to be a long read. However the tale itself I did enjoy. Persuasion was and still is my favorite of hers.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I have read this book and I don't know. While I loved the last movie adaptation, I somehow wasn't that impressed by the book. Maybe I was expecting a lot, I don't know. It was ok, of course, but just ok.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
lgerwig
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgerwig.html

Post by lgerwig »

What a classic! What a fictional piece of art that truly parallels the life of an ordinary family living anywhere in any time period. Every family has the obnoxious member controlling the comings and goings of its family members as we have in the character of the mother, Mrs Bennet. Or what about the appeasing father character, trying to keep everyone happy as in Mr. Bennett. Then we have two dutiful daughters obeying the whims of their mother as we come to know in Jane and Elizabeth Bennett. And we cannot forget the wild and crazy daughter living on her spoiled, immature self centeredness. Every family can identify with the craziness and realistic lives portrayed in this tale. Not only this family comes alive for you, but the other major characters become endeared to you for their human frailities and hidden agendas. Jane Austin is brilliant in her development of intertwining characters that reflect our own everyday lives. A masterpiece!
teameg99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teameg99.html

Post by teameg99 »

This is actually the only Jane Austen book that I've read so far, but I'd love to read Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility. I agree with the fact some people were mentioning that the Bennets are a tad useless. Sometimes Lydia would get on my nerves with her stupidity. But, over all, I love this book. Mr. Darcy manages to ensnare my heart every time I think of him and Elizabeth is just so strong in my mind. All the other women were taking hold of any man they could find for security, (even Jane in my opinion, even though she was in love with Bingley towards the end), but Elizabeth was determined to hold on until she found the deepest, purest love. I admire that about her. Some of the side characters like Collins got me laughing, too. Overall, I think it's a wonderful book and I love every bit of it!

-- 05 Feb 2016, 20:10 --

Is it just me or is the word Nonsensical just amazing?
Mrs_Darcy25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-darcy25.html

Post by Mrs_Darcy25 »

I have a special place in my heart for Pride and Prejudice... as you can see from my username. I have always loved reading to escape being trapped at my brothers sporting events, but it was typically books more suited for younger readers. In the 7th grade one of my teachers saw in me a love of reading and gave me a copy of this book to read as an intro to classic literature. Mr. Darcy instantly became and crush, and I was determined to grow to be more like Elizabeth.
Yafa1822
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yafa1822.html
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Post by Yafa1822 »

Saw the BBC movie version at 6 and read the book( unabridged) at 12. Loved then, love it now, will love it forever!
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin
Yates6600
Currently Reading: 12 Years a Slave
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yates6600.html

Post by Yates6600 »

I just finished Pride and Prejudice for class. At first the book seemed very slow, but once you got into it it turned into a masterpiece. The character's struggles, the problems that flow throughout the book, and especially Elizabeth's dry humor all turn this book into a fantastic read. It may be a while before I pick it up again, but I know at one point I'll definitely have to because it's such a great read.
abookishvoyage
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abookishvoyage.html

Post by abookishvoyage »

Woah . I think I am late too into Pride and Prejudice. I begin to read it soon.
hintofjam
Currently Reading: Free
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hintofjam.html

Post by hintofjam »

I am definitely part of the camp that enjoyed Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. However, this may be due to the fact that I first watched the 2005 movie adaptation then listened to the audiobook featuring Rosamund Pike's narration. Having these precede actually reading the words in the book might've made my reception an entirely different experience.

If you haven't listened to the audiobook yet, I highly recommend it! Rosamund Pike adds color and depth to the world Lizzie Bennett and Mr. Darcy live in through the distinct voices she creates for each character and the calming, neutral tone she uses to narrate. Even if you only listen to the 15-minute sample, you'll see what I mean. :D

Return to “Classic Books”