Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by Bailers77 »

I agree. The characters are a little under developed but I enjoyed the message of not judging people before allowing time before judging someone.
krisssy_99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisssy-99.html

Post by krisssy_99 »

Pride and Prejudice was a good read though Jane was kind of feeble minded and weak, and Mr. Darcy is brooding enough to be sufficiently interesting. I must agree Lady Catherine de Bourgh was a really...interesting character .Elizabeth Bennet I find to be very relatable as she is quick witted and intelligent but she isn't perfect - she has a very sharp tongue and hastily jumps to conclusions. The other characters - a tiresome mother, a detached father, two badly behaved younger siblings, and several snobbish, antagonizing women - all make the plot a good read. :)
Grouchiegirl119
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grouchiegirl119.html
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton

Post by Grouchiegirl119 »

I love Pride and Prejudice and it still holds up after 200 years. It's a classic tale and much like Shakespeare, Austen is a master at taking a wry look at a certain class of society and instilling a sense of seriousness of the situation at hand and mocking it at the same time.
Latest Review: "The Backside of Nowhere" by Alec Clayton
junogirl
Favorite Author: maeve binchy
Favorite Book: pride and predjudice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junogirl.html
fav_author_id: 6080

Post by junogirl »

i have to say, pride and prejudice is one of my favorite books. i think the characters portrait fairly closely what life was like at that time and it's not that they were bland or one-dimensional but rather what the women in that era were brought up to be. we've come a long way since then and it's hard to imagine being so shallow yet that IS how they were raised. a woman's lot in life was to be pretty, make light conversation and marry well. i suppose i may be a tad predjudiced because i did watch the movie first and fell in love with keira knightely in the role of elizabeth.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
ilycrysel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilycrysel.html

Post by ilycrysel »

Pride and Prejudice has been my favorite book for so long! In my opinion, it's one of those books that you wish you hadn't read so you could read it again without knowing anything about it to enjoy it like the first time! It's one of the few books I've re-read more than once!
SJayne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjayne.html

Post by SJayne »

I've been trying to get through this book but i am struggling so much. Why do I find it so boring?
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

While I enjoyed this novel from an entertainment standpoint, I also felt that there didn't really seem to be much of a point, aside from a slightly satirical look at restrictive English society during this time period. It was fun to read, and it's written well, which is probably why it's stood the test of time; but I think it's interesting that, being her first novel, it was the most 'bubbly' or light-hearted out of all the books she wrote.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
bibliomaniac_23

Post by bibliomaniac_23 »

On the whole, the theme of Pride & Prejudice is the idea of going to balls and finding husbands. The characters of the book befit the theme very well indeed. Austen does not pretend to be writing the "great Victorian novel" so the characters, their flaws, their nuances are all subject to being entertaining, rather than having depth or multiple dimensions in any profound sort of way.
Overall, I would say Austen gives you a Victorian version of chick-lit, so you can't really expect too much from it. Just enjoy the ride without asking too many questions! :)
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

I liked Pride and Prejudice it was one of the longest books I have read.
lanielep
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanielep.html

Post by lanielep »

I always loved Austen, but feel that her books were the romance novels of the time. There is often a slight moral message but mostly they are just light and fun to read.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I loved it. I still love it. It remains one of my favorite books. I think the characters are supposed to be "flimsy" as you say, because they are meant to represent ideas and not necessarily people.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Jane Austen will always be a classic, especially P&P. Her books were the pioneers of her time, (which is Regency, rather than Victorian). Many good authors today look to her as an example of how to write lovable characters complete with flaws and a touch of the ridiculous. Plus the fact that to even be an woman author in her time was rather a miracle.
I will always love Pride and Prejudice, maybe it's time to read it again . . .
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
ACaraway21

Post by ACaraway21 »

I love Pride and Prejudice more each and every time I read it. I hardly ever read a book more than once so the simple fact that I have read this book several times says a lot. I love all the little intricacies and find more each time I read it.
karlymichele

Post by karlymichele »

There is an annotated version of Pride and Prejudice floating around. It's huge, imposing, and green. This edition includes so much psychological insight to the class differences that separate Darcy and Elizabeth, and really go in depth of the foolishness of trusting first impressions. It has a ton of historical notes so you can learn way more than you ever wanted to know about the kinds of carriages the Bennets would be rolling up in.

-- 08 May 2014, 22:38 --

Jane Austen had a reason for everything she included in Pride and Prejudice, so if you get lost in the archaisms or if the scene doesn't make sense to you, search an analysis online. It makes the read so much more worthwhile.
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

tinatin wrote:I recently read "Pride and Prejudice" and I must say it is most likely one of the best books I ever read, in fact, so good, I named my dog after one of the main characters, Mr. Darcy! The book is written in a very interesting language and has a wonderful plot, perfect for anyone who is interested in learning more about the ways of humainty or just wants to read a pleasant story, with a happy ending.
I love that you named your dog Mr. Darcy! :D

I know what you mean about a pleasant story with a happy ending. Pride and Prejudice is definitely a pleasant read.

Return to “Classic Books”