Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
julianfroment

Re: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Post by julianfroment »

I read this as part of a BBC list of 100 books that everyone should have read. I was a little dubious initially, but found it to be an excellent book. Interesting and extremely well written. I loved the way that you never found out the name of the second Mrs de Winter.
TojayTurbo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tojayturbo.html

Post by TojayTurbo »

The book has been on my bookshelf for a number of years, and I just got around to reading it - finished a few days ago, and am wondering what took me so long to get around to it! It is an excellent read. So sad the way it ends. I wonder - was anyone surprised by the actual results of the doctors visit? And when we consider the time it was written, was
DuMaurier's resolution to her story ahead of her time? I'm curious to know what other think.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I read Rebecca many years ago, but I remember really enjoying it, so much so that I read every other book by Daphne du Maurier after I read Rebecca.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read that book a few years ago and love it. I have it as a paper book and will reread it again sometime.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

I saw the film years before reading the novel, so I knew what to expect plot-wise. I found the first part of the novel a bit slow, but things really livened up once the major revelation occurs.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

I love how the narrator, the 2nd Mrs. De Winter, seemed to be a colorless personality, a shrinking violet but inside she's sensitive and very imaginative. I was a painfully shy and very awkward teen the first time I read the book so I identified strongly with her. I liked it that we never knew her name, only that Maxim described it as a " very lovely and unusual name." I've tried thinking up of names that would suit her. How about you guys? Any suggestions? :-)
Ella

Post by Ella »

Just read it not too long ago...loved it. (have yet to watch the movie) I have a few more of her books on my shelves, good to know her others sound as good
Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

Just read this book and wow it is a modern classic for its time. It had me on a side of a murder, hating and loving Rebecca and wishing to shake the second Mrs Winters to make her a stronger person. A classic for years to come.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

wonderful book to read. I enjoy it
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

This book has been on my mental "should read" list for years, given the amount of mystery & suspense that I read. At this point, part of my reluctance to do so is that I've become so familiar with so much of the story without ever having read it - I knew well before clicking on this thread that the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter is never known by her given name, whatever that might be. And I don't know if I'll ever decide to read it, barring the sort of circumstance in which it's the only book available ....
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
kateevelyne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kateevelyne.html

Post by kateevelyne »

bookmadgirlie wrote:No, I haven't actually, but it is next on my list for reading this year.
In Rebecca, do you like the second Mrs de Winter, or how Rebecca is portrayed?
Rebecca is my all time favourite book. I very rarely read a book twice, but this is like a comfort blanket to me, and has been read many times, and has pride of place in my favourite books shelf. It is one book I will not lend out to others fear of losing it! My daughters middle name is Rebecca.

I also have the second Mrs De Winter which I enjoyed because it allowed me to re-visit Max and his nameless wife, and offered a little insight into what happened next. Unfortunately I don't think it could ever live up to ''Rebecca'. It could never shine, or grab me in the way that my favourite book has. A hard act to follow! Worth a read though, even if for just a comforting glance back into my favourite characters lives.

-- 09 Mar 2014, 05:17 --
KLyons1 wrote:This book has been on my mental "should read" list for years, given the amount of mystery & suspense that I read. At this point, part of my reluctance to do so is that I've become so familiar with so much of the story without ever having read it - I knew well before clicking on this thread that the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter is never known by her given name, whatever that might be. And I don't know if I'll ever decide to read it, barring the sort of circumstance in which it's the only book available ....
Take it on holiday, it's a great read. I don't think you'll regret it.

KLyons1 wrote:This book has been on my mental "should read" list for years, given the amount of mystery & suspense that I read. At this point, part of my reluctance to do so is that I've become so familiar with so much of the story without ever having read it - I knew well before clicking on this thread that the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter is never known by her given name, whatever that might be. And I don't know if I'll ever decide to read it, barring the sort of circumstance in which it's the only book available ....

-- 09 Mar 2014, 05:20 --
Charlotte Reese wrote:I love how the narrator, the 2nd Mrs. De Winter, seemed to be a colorless personality, a shrinking violet but inside she's sensitive and very imaginative. I was a painfully shy and very awkward teen the first time I read the book so I identified strongly with her. I liked it that we never knew her name, only that Maxim described it as a " very lovely and unusual name." I've tried thinking up of names that would suit her. How about you guys? Any suggestions? :-)
Jane, May, Beth?
Something plain, dignified and girlish?
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I too love this book. My Mom owned it and that's how I got to read it. Amazing plot, descriptive,suspense and a twist in the end.Very well written!
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

I read Rebecca when I was about 12 and absolutely loved it. Yes, it was a scary read then but it opened my eyes to writing that did not always have a happy theme or happy ending. Loved it! I think I'll pull it out and read it again. 8)
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

It is a wonderful book. What I dislike is those publishing companies that categorize it under romance and ruin it with a silly cover. Yes, it has a little romance in it... although I was having Bluebeard flashbacks as I read it, but that doesn't define it at all.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
Artemisl14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisl14.html

Post by Artemisl14 »

*Slight spoilers* I'm all for the suspense aspect in Rebecca. I love how this whole time she seems to be looking ober her shoulder at this unknown, this entity she can never hope to compete with. I love how even in death Rebecca still managed to ruin his life. I love how she never quite knew how he felt about her and then when age did she came into herself.
* DEFINITE SPOILER* I especially liked the scene where the housekeeper almost had her jump out the window. It had me on my toes. I had to read this book for a project but I definitely loved it. I own a very beaten up copy now. It's a good choice. I haven't read anything else by Du Maurier but does anyone know anything on par with Rebecca by her?

-- 10 Jun 2014, 00:11 --
kateevelyne wrote:
bookmadgirlie wrote:No, I haven't actually, but it is next on my list for reading this year.
In Rebecca, do you like the second Mrs de Winter, or how Rebecca is portrayed?
Rebecca is my all time favourite book. I very rarely read a book twice, but this is like a comfort blanket to me, and has been read many times, and has pride of place in my favourite books shelf. It is one book I will not lend out to others fear of losing it! My daughters middle name is Rebecca.

I also have the second Mrs De Winter which I enjoyed because it allowed me to re-visit Max and his nameless wife, and offered a little insight into what happened next. Unfortunately I don't think it could ever live up to ''Rebecca'. It could never shine, or grab me in the way that my favourite book has. A hard act to follow! Worth a read though, even if for just a comforting glance back into my favourite characters lives.

-- 09 Mar 2014, 05:20 --
Charlotte Reese wrote:I love how the narrator, the 2nd Mrs. De Winter, seemed to be a colorless personality, a shrinking violet but inside she's sensitive and very imaginative. I was a painfully shy and very awkward teen the first time I read the book so I identified strongly with her. I liked it that we never knew her name, only that Maxim described it as a " very lovely and unusual name." I've tried thinking up of names that would suit her. How about you guys? Any suggestions? :-)
Jane, May, Beth?
Something plain, dignified and girlish?
He did say it was unusual but lovely so perhaps Cecilia. It's unique but still feminine and soft.

Return to “Classic Books”