Official Review: The Case Files of Jake Malone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Official Review: The Case Files of Jake Malone

Post by RussetDivinity »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Case Files of Jake Malone" by Crystal Phoenix Hobbies.]
Book Cover for 2035
Share This Review

The Case Files of Jake Malone by Crystal Phoenix Hobbies, a group of people who turn their adventures in gaming into novels and short stories. At 93 pages, The Case Files is very short, and I have to admit, I wish it had been longer. It starts out feeling like a black-and-white film noir, complete with private investigator Jake Malone’s office, into which a femme fatale named Grace Redding enters. Within a few pages of her entrance, it becomes clear that Malone doesn’t live during the 1920’s or 1930’s but during a time with more advanced technology, and soon we realize that he lives in what can best be described as a dystopian future. Later still, the feel changes from what I would term “noir-punk” (the feel of noir in the dystopia/alternate history style of cyberpunk or steampunk) to something that feels more like a classic pulp sci-fi. This isn’t a bad thing; in fact, it’s part of the reason why I would rate The Case Files as 3 out of 4 stars.

The main reason I can’t give it four stars isn’t because of the writing (though never outright bad, it is less than stellar) but because it could have been wonderful. I would have loved to see this story expanded to show more of its world and fully embracing the classic pulp feel. While it wouldn’t have been great literature, it would have been a fun read, and sometimes that’s all you need. I would have been perfectly happy to read and reread this if it had embraced what it was turning into from the start, combining (and possibly poking gentle fun at) the genres of pulp sci-fi and noir detectives into a look back at what those stories once were. However, it does well enough for me to give it three rather than two stars, and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a quick read but not necessarily a great novel.

This story is certainly not for everyone: I was curious about the world this took place in and felt like there could have been a lot more world-building. I understand that this is based on a tabletop RPG and therefore would be more focused on Jake Malone’s actions than the setting, but when translated into writing, more attention should have been paid to details. For people who want to have a deeper understanding about the world of the story or want all their questions to be answered, this isn’t the story for you. If you just want to lose yourself in another world for a while, then I’d recommend this.

Officially, this case appears in the middle of Jake Malone’s story, and the blurb at the end says the next case will be number forty-seven. The next case will likely be in the same style as this one, with Jake solving some case that is more than what it appears by far. However, I hope that as more cases appear (likely out of chronological order, which is not at all a bad thing), we will be able to see more of the world and learn its history.

In short, this particular Case File is enjoyable, though far from the best piece of fiction I’ve read. I’d recommend it for people who like old pulp sci-fi novels or have a taste for noir fiction. Who knows? It might inspire someone to make a tabletop campaign and come full circle.

View hassle-free sample of "The Case Files of Jake Malone"
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Crystalphoenixhobby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crystalphoenixhobby »

I haven't been online in a couple days, and I must admit, I'm impressed at how quickly the review was edited and posted. That being said, my sincerest thanks goes to RussetDivinity for the review itself. This was the first time I'd ever written for an audience other than myself, and I cannot possibly express my gratitude for a 3 out of 4. I will definitely work on more world building in the future. It's so much easier to tell gamers what the world looks like, and let them go from there. But I can only get better as I continue to write. Thank you again.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”